Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-15-2003, 6:00 PM Reply   
Any NYC riders out there? I have seen a few people from the area posting. I ask because I was on the Hudson Line MTA train today and coming out the the city @ noon and out the window I see the East River--Butter. Harlem River just above Manhattan--butter. Lower segment of the Hudson--butter. So I was staring at about 80 miles of river that was primo.

Does anyone ride right around the city? I'd love to hook up sometime. So lets hear it, where's the Gotham pride?
Old    renegade            09-15-2003, 7:07 PM Reply   
haha....I would never go in that water let alone put my boat in that water...I've gone to races on the east river and flipped my boat(club 420) and I would have to that that water is pure sewage...I've guessing also that boat ramps are hard to find up there..I'm out on long island
Old     (wakenyc)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-16-2003, 10:08 AM Reply   
In the 80's it was pure sewage..and that still idn't stop the Inwood kids from jumping off the Columbia rock. However, these days the Hudson if safe. They only time its not safe is after a big strom and al of the PCB's get stirred up. Still you best bet is to take the ride to New Jersey or Conn and ride in one of threir lakes.
Old    josh_weiner            09-16-2003, 5:06 PM Reply   
I am down to go in the hudson or east river. Near Randalls Island there is a small strait where there is a eletric power station and the water looked so sweet today. If somebody could hook up a boat I would be there in a second. Im pretty sure the boat basin that most sailboats use is on 88th street??? Maybe. But If somebody is willing... Im in the Village.

(Message edited by Josh Weiner on September 16, 2003)
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-16-2003, 5:07 PM Reply   
I've done the Manhattan Island swim without any health problems. The water really isn't too bad, as long as you have gotten all of your shots. And I could probably talk to some of my friends on the crew team, they could hook me up with the ramp up around their crew facilities. I have a hard time getting to NJ or Conn because I have no car and not much $$$. I'd rather pay someone for boat gas than a train ride Jeff, where do you drop in on the Hudson?
Old    josh_weiner            09-16-2003, 5:27 PM Reply   
If we did, I think it would be safe to say we would be the first people to try this, It would be nice to get bragging rights.
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-16-2003, 5:53 PM Reply   
im out on the island too,i know not to close to the city, but if you ever wanna ride out here just let me know
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-16-2003, 7:48 PM Reply   
When I went to Columbia, to get a parking spot I had to be at 116th & Broadway by 8:00am, then I had to sit in my car for an hour and wait for the street cleaner to go by before I could get out and go about my business. As I sat there, just about every morning a van would pull-up and out would file the Columbia "crew" all sweaty and tired looking, presumably from a early moring practice session rowing up and down the Hudson. I could never understand how they could row in such cruddy water. Especially with that sewage treatment plant right there on the river at 125th Street. Would you guys really board in the Hudson River? Even further up stream towards Cold Spring the Hudson River water is smelly and loaded with PCBs. And the East River? Some of the currents in the East River are wicked. And I know people who claim to have seem body parts floating in the East River. Personally, no matter how bad I wanted to ride, I wouldn't ride in Manhattan water.
Old     (wakenyc)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-16-2003, 10:47 PM Reply   
Back then the sewage treatment plant was just a big hole in the side of manhattan ...It was revamped several years back and they say that now it actually does its job. As far as the PCBs go, they are resting on the bottom of the river and only get stirred up after a big storm. However, I must agree with you about the east river, those currents could pull under the stongest swimmer and wash them out to see...most bodies that go under near Randalls Island don't reappear until Red Hook Brooklyn.

(Message edited by wakenyc on September 16, 2003)
Old     (wakenyc)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-16-2003, 10:55 PM Reply   
Scott,
Right now I keep my boat way upstate in Lake George. However, this spring I will be briging it down to either candlewood lake, conn. or Greenwood Lake N.J. (I still haven't decided which one.) Either way, I live in the Northwest Bronx and work on the upper west side and would be willing to give a lift if you needed.
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-17-2003, 9:01 PM Reply   
Alex, the crew team rows up on the northern most tip of manhattan, about 5 miles north of the treatment plant. The state has actually classified all the waters above Harlem as "swimming grade" waters. Someday I would like to attempt the 28 mile swim around Manhattan because the currents at least double your normal speed, making it no real problem.

But why should the currents of the East River bother anyone? We're all wearing USCGA vests aren't we? I've also heard that the river is actually deeper than most of the ocean around it.

Jeff, I would love to catch a ride some time. My girl rides too. How much room do you have? Just let me know. I plan on working in the city after I graduate so I'll be around.
Old     (wakenyc)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-18-2003, 2:14 PM Reply   
Alex,
I ripped up my knee and won't be wakin' until the spring...I'm sure I will have plenty of room...Maybe I'll catch you at Cannon's sometime!
Old     (wakenyc)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-19-2003, 10:57 PM Reply   
Scott, the last post was directed at you....Not that you aren't invited also Alex..
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-20-2003, 7:01 PM Reply   
Cannon's meaning the bar on 107??? I much prefer the heights up on 111th. Maybe that's because the bartenders give the swim team free drinks. Sorry to hear about the knee. I hope you get better.