Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
So every time I have tried this I wind up giving up and taking it to the dealer to do but I am tired of all the extra costs of having to bring it to the dealer. They were supposed to show me the exact way to get it off last time I picked up the boat but I was in a rush and did not have the time. Supposedly it is only these boats that have an issue with the rudder needing to be in a exact position to get the prop off the shaft which really makes it a nightmare.

It stinks because the prop repair shop is literally a half mile from my house so having to bring the boat even 20 minutes each way to the closest dealer (who drop the rudder to get it off, which my normal shop does not) is a bunch of wasted time on my end.

Does anyone have any insight into the exact position the rudder and the angle of the prop have to be to get it off?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-09-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
Cant you just have a buddy sit in the boat and turn the rudder as you slide the prop off? I assume you have a prop puller. Maybe I am making this too simple.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-09-2012, 11:28 AM Reply   
Post a pic. I find it hard to believe that the rudder is so close to the prop shaft that you have to drop the rudder...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-09-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
Here is a post from teamtalk

I change mine (07 - X2) several times a year depending on the body of water I'm boating on and do it without messing with the rudder linkage. Now that I'm not in front of the boat I'm trying to remember which way I turn the rudder. I believe I push the blade of the rudder to the left. The rudder is slightly offset to the left which when biased in that direction will give you some additional room.

Let the prop slide all the way down the shaft so its off the splines and will turn freely, at that time you should be able to turn and rotate the prop enough to get it by the rudder. Don't try to force it, just turn it while moving it to a vertical position as you slide it off the bottom of the shaft and it should almost fall off. Take your time when you're turning it to find the location with the most clearance. You may also get just a little more clearance by moving the rudder blade back to the right a bit.

It takes a couple times to get the procedure down but believe me it will come off if turned and positioned correctly. After all someone put it on there and I can assure you they didn't remove the rudder to put it on. I've done mine so many times that I've actually done this while the boat was in the water after hitting a sunken island this summer in the Detroit river. The key is rotating the prop vertical once you find the location of maximum clearance. It's like on of those deals where you pull and pull then when you've given up and are about to walk away it falls off. You have to think in terms of Chinese finger cuffs.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...d.php?p=883255
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-10-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Post a pic. I find it hard to believe that the rudder is so close to the prop shaft that you have to drop the rudder...

Thats the thing. Its not so close you have to drop the rudder but it is so tight the rudder and prop have to be positioned a certain way to get the prop off. I have ordered a prop puller so I can take my time and do it at home instead of trying to rush it at the prop shop only to get frustrated and give up.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-17-2012, 5:05 AM Reply   
OK. So I was able to get the prop removed. Turns out it is way easier than i thought. The trick is you turn the steering wheel all the way right, line up the prop so 1 blade is lined up with the shaft and it splits 2 blades. When you have it lined up you need to tilt the prop towards you and just finesse it a little bit till it comes off. Thank you to Sean at Liquid Sports for walking me through it.