Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (gregs_place)      Join Date: Sep 2012       02-17-2013, 11:22 AM Reply   
I am current in the market for getting a new board and I am trying to decide whether or not to keep my 2009 Ronix Cell bindings or get a pair of Hyperlite System bindings. I will be riding 75% boat and 25% cable. What are your opinions on these two bindings?
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-17-2013, 5:53 PM Reply   
Ive ridden the old cell bindings that you mentioned and currently ride systems behind boat and cable. They are both stiff boots but honestly you can get some really nice side to side movement and board control riding systems, they are very responsive. I would go with systems they are comfy and can be fine tuned to your preferences. I ride the JDs cause they are a little bit lower on the ankle but my favorite are the process boots.
Old    9Drozd            02-17-2013, 6:35 PM Reply   
My biggest gripe with my systems is the fact that they absolutely suck when it comes time to swimming in them. If that doesn't bother you, then upgrade away. Me personally, I like riding my one bindings more so than my systems because of that. As far as people telling you it's more responsive than anything else on the market, they are full of BS. Every binding company have made their boots so low profile that they are extremely close if not the same in terms of heel/toe response. Depending on what cable park you ride at and what their walking paths look like would be something to consider. If its nothing but rocks and stuff, go with the systems, if they are nice, just stick with what you got and save some money.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-18-2013, 1:25 PM Reply   
Another vote for the systems here. While the argument that most companies make a binding/plate that is low profile and keeps a riders foot close to the board is valid, not all heel/toe lift is created equal. In my experience, with traditional binding plates I can lift the heel of just about any boot enough to fit about half my hand underneath the boot. With the systems I can maybe get one finger up to the first knuckle under the boot. IMO, that is a significant improvement in heel lift. You can try this for yourself.

Plus, they last way longer than normal boots. I used to ride the Cells as well as the stiffest boot in the line for a few other companies. My boots from last year are still in great performing shape, where all of my old boots (cells and old mareks included) turn into mashed potatoes after a few months of riding. I am a big believer in the systems and love the feel, support and response I get from them. While they are not for everyone, I wouldnt trade them for any other boot. Try them out if you can, I think you will be stoked.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-19-2013, 10:14 AM Reply   
I got the system binding for Christmas, my current binding are 4 year old Watsons, I still need to buy the boots

Coming off of Watsons are the Mareks going to be stiffer, not as stiff, about the same? I've really liked the Watsons overall from a mobility/hold point of view.

I'm fairly big (6'4 230) and my thought has always been that a stiffer boot on me acts like a medium stiffness boot on a smaller guy. These will be 95% boat.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-22-2013, 8:33 AM Reply   
Trapper - the marek systems will almost certainly be stiffer than your watsons. If your boots are 4 years old, I'd say that even the Process or the Air Jim's would be stiffer and more supportive also (just fyi the Jim's are lower cut on the ankle tho, mareks and process are higher cut). They will last and maintain stiffness/support much longer even after breaking them in. But they are not overly stiff like a cast or anything, you still have room to flex and tweak tricks if you want. With you being a bigger guy I still think they will hold up a long while for you. hope you will be as stoked on them as I am.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-22-2013, 10:49 AM Reply   
If you are looking for the new 2013 System boots, I would strongly encourage that. The new boots are true to size and incredibly comfortable. Using the System binding, you have a few different boot options when it comes to your preference. I'm a believer in the System and can not wait to use them at the cable. The swimming thing is kind of a pain but I think having something comfortable to walk back to the dock in outweighs the negatives of being tough to swim in.