Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old    jayp            05-26-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
So over the weekend I saw two boats going down the highway with boards in the racks. That is definately not safe at highway speeds.

I would think that you could get a ticket for that but I have never heard of anyone being pulled over for it so it must be legal. Legal but stupid.
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-26-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
I saw this too on Saturday. HGWY 108/120 leaving Oakdale...nuts.

Wanted to have Sue take a photo but I coudn't catch up.

T
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-26-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
Saw it also pulling in to the local gas station. Just stupid as all hell. I can't believe someone would risk their financial well being as well as someone's life to a rubber strap. Dumb.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-26-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
My buddy use to tow every time to and from the delta over vasco rd.

Until one day I took my board off and left. They didn't check rack and the other board flew off at 60 on vasco causing a mini van to almost drive off the road.

1. Its not good on your board rails and bindings..

2. Bad for the rack and the tower.

3. Unsafe for. Everyone
Old     (richie44rich)      Join Date: May 2006       05-26-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
I think I have pics of the two boats in question. Saw these 2 sangers with boards in the racks on Saturday morning at 10am or so on 205 leaving Tracy....Did not drive behind them for long
Upload
Upload
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-26-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
Not to mention that you could hit them on a tree limb or other obstacle along the side of the road that might not otherwise be in the way... I guess that they just want to "LOOK COOL" and they don't know that those in the know think that they are just DUMB.....

I will say that I put mine in the rack to back down the ramp, but I am not going fast and I know the ramp... maybe 100 yards and all in reverse from the house
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-29-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
Speeds over 40-45mph...No. On the freeway Hellno!!!! I do put the bimini up & boards in the racks from my house to the gas station and/or launch. Both are less than 5 miles & 45mph speed limit. I see no harm in that, at all. The boards/rack/tower take way more of a beating on the water than the couple of miles on the road. So not everyone you see on the road with boards in racks are trying to "look cool". But these guys = idiots.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-29-2009, 8:06 AM Reply   
most of the time when i see people on the free way with boards in their racks. they are trying to show off what they have.

and most of the time. they have crappy west marine boards
Old     (k2rider2690)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-29-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
hah this is funny because on monday night comming home for the lake on the pa turn pike was some guy pulling an older mastercraft with the boards in the racks just like in those pictures...first thing i thought was there stupied hah not that there cool...it is def unsafe especially when you think of some of the companys crappy designs to hold the boards in
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-29-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
Coming home from Shasta Monday I saw at least 4 boat with board in the racks on I-5 and im only 15 miles from the lake!!! See it all the time up here and I dont get it?
Old    mendo247            05-29-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
I run mine in the racks for the short tow to the lake to save time at the ramp. I barely hit 45mph and its only a couple miles. I will say I have been taking the down since everyone here is acting like because you have boards in your rack your trying to look cool lol
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-29-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
Come on guys, if it weren't for the idiots who leave there vests and wakeboards on the towers while driving.. Then where would I get my wakeboards, bindings, slider boards, and spare vests from?!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-29-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
LMAO at durty curt
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-29-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
I saw the same thing this morning. The scary part was the boards werent even secured. Talk about a recepie for disaster.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-29-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
Yup, see it here too, passed a boat with boards in racks traveling down the road around 65ish and they were still at least 20 mins away from a lake...passed by em real quick, dont want a board through my windshield lol
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-29-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
Without a doubt its dumb. Seems like a lot of people are pretty clue less though. I doubt its as much of a looking cool thing as it is a thats what they're for kinda thing.
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-29-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
This was on the 101 in North Phoenix this morning.

Upload
Old     (tcmercil)      Join Date: May 2006       05-29-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
as a motorcyclist.... those are things you stay 100 yards away from - - talking about an easy way to kill someone....
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-29-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
What a bag of douche.
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-29-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
surprised no one has commented on the dual mirror situation...
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-29-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
A lot of folks use dual mirrors, including Travis Moye I believe. Not on my boat, because it isn't worth the money to me. I have driven a couple boats with them and it's nice.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-31-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
I just watched a guy towing w boards and bimini up, on vasco into a. Good headwind doin 60. I passed him a,d looked back to see his bimini flyin off ripping the poles off and land in pieces in his boat...then they pull over and they left the boards up.. Idiots!! Happy sunday retard.
Old     (speakersox)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-31-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
Maybe some people just don't know. I used to do it until I read it on here. I just purchased a surf rack and I don't remember seeing any type of warning. Perhaps the wakeboarding industry can help educate customers about the dangers. It's a wake rack, it holds wakeboards, hitch up the boat and lets go. I can see it happening.