Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (truebeachbum)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-23-2007, 1:59 PM Reply   
i have a free air under the driver's side and im looking to put a type r in the passengers side locker any pics of subs in there and ported or closed
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-25-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
how does your free air sub sound? i was looking at maybe getting a wetsounds or jl audio to put under my dash too.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-25-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Don't get a free air
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-25-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
J montgomery, have your heard the JL free air or the wetsounds free air sub with the proper power...not a free air that is stock in a boat? if not don't be so quick to judge....all free airs are not the same.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-25-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
I've heard many free air's and haven't liked any of em as much as a regular sub of the same caliber
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-25-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
and No I haven't heard the JL or the Wetsounds I'm just going by all the others that I've heard and if either of those sound as good as you say I'm gonna pick one up to save space
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-25-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
I will tell you my buddy has a JL marine free-air sub in his boat with a jl 250 watt amp going to it and it is very impressive for a free-air.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-25-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
where does he have it mounted ?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-25-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
Well he's got it in a river boat. You won't get the full potential of these JL free-air subs by mounting them on a board at the drivers feet. If you mounted a board that extended all the way up under the dash, kind of sealing the area up (not air tight) it will sound alot better. Another one of my friends has it mounted in his wakesetter by cutting a hole into the walkthrough of his passenger side storage compartment. They don't hit as hard a sealed box so don't get your hopes up to high.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-25-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
yea I've never heard one that hit as hard as a sub in a sealed enclosure but they do save a lot of room
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-25-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
Mixing and matching those 2 subs is going to sound really funny. Even 2 of the same sub in different size boxes could sound bad.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-25-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
free airs wont hit dont do as well as sealed or ported subs. you can get pretty close with a high quality amp and driver set up right.

if your looking to save some money the jl are pretty good and are pretty efficent for a free air design.. if you want to step it up image dynamics idmax with a big amp.
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-25-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Anyone out there with the Wetsounds 10" free- air sub. I have one one the way, and plan to power it with the Orion HCCA D600 amp. How are other doing it?
Caddy,
Can you expound on how you would set up this sub to get the most performance out of it. Crossover settings, EQ, etc?
Thanks.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-25-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
I think if you are looking for better sound, huge improvement over no sub, and don't want to invest time or money in a sealed resined enclosure; it is hard to beat a free air. I have a Rockford Marine 10 in my driver storage and it sounds plenty fine. Be sure you purchase a true free-air, and power it properly. It doesn't carry sound very far out of the boat interior (that might be a plus), but inside the boat you would be hard pressed to even tell me that it was infinite baffle.