Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (halem23)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
Took my new boat out this last weekend and couldn't get the wake to hold a good surfing wake...it just wouldn't peak...all white water. I have 350# on each side in the rear, 350# in the belly, and 6 people all on one side. Does anyone know if changing the position of the cavitation plate, or taking it off all together would help get a better wake? Any other ideas besides just more ballast weight?
Old     (hdrew)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-25-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
Did you try filling the ballast your riding on only and draining the non riding side?
We have a 215 and had great success last summer. We did opt for 2 more 500 lbs sacks, can't wait to try them out soon.
HD
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-26-2006, 4:09 AM Reply   
sounds like you need to tweak the mph for your new boat.

I get white foam when I'm going too slow.

e
Old    surfdad            04-26-2006, 4:55 AM Reply   
Yeah, Ed is right. The speed settings that are bantied about in the forums are only guidlines. What folks should do with their particular boat is set the speed at a level that allows the wake to clean up AND that everyone can surf at.

TYPICALLY, white wash in FACE of the wake is indicative of a too slow speed setting. A ton of weight is not necessary, however, in the event that increasing speed alone doesn't clean up the face of the wake then MORE weight on the surf side of the boat is most likely needed (then go back and set speed again).

Matt, in your situation you had adequate weight. I would try speeding up the boat until the face cleans up...then if it feels too fast or noone can ride the wake at that speed, gradually slow the boat down until you reach the slowest setting that will allow the face to remain clean. I know that on some boats, especially heavily ballasted boats, they require that you EXCEED the surfing speed setting to get the wake to clean up and then let the speed settle back down.

Keep us posted on your results!
Old     (halem23)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-26-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
ok.... i will fill one side ballast and play with the speed. Does anyone know about the cav plate? Maybe taking it off, or extending it down with longer buckles? Thanks
Old    surfdad            04-27-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
Hey Matt, just one more question...we all pretty much assume you're in 100 foot of water...how deep is the water you're surfing in? If it's 8-10 feet of water that will make it hard to develop a decent wake.

Personally, I haven't seen much change in the wake of a weighted boat with any one of the TAPS/WAKE PLATE/Cavatation plates. But Mark Sher of Inland tells me that on his Enzo it has a prounounced effect.

Old     (halem23)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-27-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
yeah....i am in 100+ feet of water. A friend of mine has an 05 enzo and his wake is perfectly huge with no plate, just 1200# of ballast. Im heading out on the water tomorrow, we'll see if i can get it this time.
Old     (halem23)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-29-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
Well here's what I did... 500# ballast in the rear corner i was surfing, 4 people in the back of the boat on that side and about 10 mph....made a pretty nice wake. Thanks for help.