Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old    masterwake            03-09-2005, 11:28 PM Reply   
Alright I have been putting the new system together this off-season and its time for install. I am concerned about interference. Specifically I am trying to decide how I should run my power wire. I have a 99' Mastercraft 230 (v-drive), the battery is mounted (stock) in the back port-side corner (inside boat, not in engine compartment). My amps are going to be mounted under the dash. I can run the power wire around the back of the boat, or run it straight up around the port side and around the bow. It would be cheaper to run it in the back since it would require less wire, but I am not sure about interference. Does anybody have any experience with this? Where is the best place to ground? Also, I am about to add a second battery-any suggestions?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-10-2005, 6:40 AM Reply   
Ground to the negative post on the battery. Keep main power/ground wires as short as possible. Keep power/ground wires away from RCA's and make sure both are well insulated. You shouldn't have much problem with ground/engine nosie. I've never had an issue with ground nosie untill I upgraded to a horn setup. My guess is because of the high frequency and the amount of amplication required to power them.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-10-2005, 2:02 PM Reply   
Adam,

It might be your amp? One other issue is that you are probably drawing lots more juice now so your alternator is working more. The harder the alternator works the more noise it makes.

Mike
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-10-2005, 2:23 PM Reply   
Makes sense on the alt working harder, but I'm using the same amp as I had before. And never had the ground nosie problem. you think because its a "cheap" amp? It's a problem I can deal with. Even at idle speed with the radio at listen volume you can't hear it. If its an easy fix, I'm open to ideas.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-10-2005, 2:52 PM Reply   
Ground your head unit to your amp not the boat's wiring harness, move the head unit's yellow wire to the amp power, this will probably eliminate the noise.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-10-2005, 3:18 PM Reply   
Isn't the yellow the remote turn on? (Could be wrong) I'm assuming you mean that the yellow is the main power? As long as the remote turn on is still connected tot he boat wiring harness I should still be able to turn the radio on/off by turning the key...correct?
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-16-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
Remote turn on should be blue, wiring remote turn on to amp 12v is bad idea :-) Yellow is power wire.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-18-2005, 6:54 AM Reply   
Yellow wire... Blue wire... Head units are different and wiring colors are not standard across different manufacturers. State what the wire is and be more specific... Remote turn on depnding on how you perceive things it could be for the head unit or amps. And yes... better to go to the battery especially in marine applications. These boats are not designed to handle the "big systems" and stock wiring harnesses may not do the trick.