Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    west_sider            07-30-2003, 1:41 PM Reply   
i have ridden behind a 2002 and a 2003 super air, and i loved both of them, I am moving up with wa and im prob going to get a 2001 super air because they are cheaper and i like the graphics more. I was wondering if the 2001 was that much different than the 2003 or 2001. Also if anyone has a 2001 super air that they want to sell, that would be nice also
Old    boozcruz33            07-30-2003, 5:08 PM Reply   
2001 differences that I can think of:
* No center ballast (must put own fat sac in ski locker)
* Rear ballast doesn't have large wedge tank option
* Stereo next to driver and not in glovebox
* Cooler setup (glovebox in '01s are great coolers)
* Ballast tanks have one fill and one empty button... therefore, you can't separately fill or empty the port or starboard ballast tank
* The ballast valves are also pretty stupid on the 2001's (you will see when you get in one)
* graphics are slightly different
* only teak platform is offered in 01, and it is much smaller than the '02 and '03 platform
* 2001's have much wider gunnels... which is nice, but makes the interior smaller
* 2002-03 have a much large sun deck because the transom is not angled like in the 2001's. Makes putting your board on much easier.
* 01 rear storage lockers don't have the electronic button to open and close (lock) them
* Steering wheel and dashpods (gauges especially) are different.
* 2001 didn't have the Team Edition option, so there is no upgraded stereo option
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-30-2003, 5:28 PM Reply   
shane hit most of it -- i'm 6'3" and i could hardly sit in the '01 cockpit, my 02 is much more roomy.
Old    chase            07-30-2003, 8:08 PM Reply   
I have a 2001 and have been in Shane's 2003 alot. The only advantage to a 2001, in my opinion, is the wider gunnels and glove box cooler. Oh yeah, and the price!

Like mine and Shane's almost equally. His is more modern though and quite a bit more spacious.
Old    boozcruz33            07-31-2003, 4:40 AM Reply   
One more thing:

The rear seat in the 2002-03 is a little thicker/more padded than the 2001. With that being said, the 2001 has a rounded rear seat that is more comfortable for the passengers when they want to watch the rider.

All in all, the boats are very similar. If your budget puts you around $33-$38k, then you won't be disappointed with a 2001 SAN. They are great boats, and there are probably many more available than there are 02's or 03's.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       07-31-2003, 5:44 AM Reply   
Actually in '01 the rear "wedge" tanks were an option. I don't think they were very popular, though. Significantly less storage for not much more weight.

Although there's only one fill and one empty button in '01, you can separately fill/empty each tank by opening/closing the "stupid" valves Shane referred to.

Narrowing the gunnels and dropping the floor from '01 to '02 was a big change to increase interior space. Also the sloped transom was dropped in '02 that increases rear storage.

I'm pretty sure they dropped the controversial digital dash in '02. I haven't had problems with mine, but a lot of folks complain they're hard to read in direct sunlight, which is probably true.

Good luck!
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-31-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
my 02 has the digital gauges... in 03 they came out with the split digital/analog ones... also, in 02 there is still only one fill/empty button, and you have to manually open/close the valves in the ski locker and engine hatch, they didn't add the easy-to-get-to valves until 03...