Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-27-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
I've got a 2004 X2 and sometimes it starts right up and other times it's real sluggish almost like the battery is dead or something? I've got a 3 month old optima blue top in it, but it's never been charged by anything except a trickle charger. All connections are free of corrosion and tight. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-27-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
well we need more information how often do you use your boat? does it have a perko switch and do you cut it off when not in use?did you check connections for tightness? does the alternator charge? [do you see voltage increase with engine running].
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-27-2010, 9:13 PM Reply   
About once a week.
No perko, but it stays on a trickle charger. It has never been on a big charger, does you think that could be an issue?
All the connections at battery and starter are tight and corrosion free.
The alternator does charge.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-28-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
When is it being hard to start? At cold startup or after use? What is your voltage reading on the battery with the boat off?

you should see 12.8 or so volts with the motor off for a good fully charged battery and it should read close to 14 with the motor on assuming your alternator is working properly,

If you are seeing less than 12 volts your battery is either bad or you have an electrical drain somewhere. If you dont have a perko, a stereo headunit is a likely culprit. And I dont knwo what kind of bettery or setup you have, but in my experience a trickle charger will not properly charge a deep cycle.

Edit: jsut saw where you have a Blue Top. I would get a deep cycle charger instead of that trickle charger.

Last edited by chris4x4gill2; 06-28-2010 at 6:59 AM.
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-28-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
Boat alternators are weak. Get a better charger and your problem may be solved. Sounds like what was happening to me before my starter went, but try the battery first, so you can at least be closer to isolating the problem
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-28-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
Have the starter checked out. I'd bet it's taking a lot of amps to turn it over. So it starts fine when your battery is at it's peak, but has a problem if the batteries not topped off.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-28-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
I vote starter. The brushes are burning up on it or its just getting hot.

Been here too many times. Was just here a couple of weeks ago. Starter drag then click....had to tap it to get it to start. Just bought a new one as that had been rebuilt 2x already.