Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (jdoetch)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-02-2008, 10:34 PM Reply   
Last year I was having problems with Amps cutting out so I have finally decided to upgrade the charging system. Thanks to everyone on the boards I have come up with the following solution (I hope). I have a few remaining questions:

1. Sanity check - Look right?
2. Fuses - Where should I put them and what size?

Upload
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
The way I have my system hooked up is the Alternator's output go's directley to the Large house bank. I start and play my system from one large house bank thats what gets the main charge from the alternator. I have a Emergency starting battery (optima) tucked away. Thats what the Duo charge flow's into. The Battery switch connected to the Duo charge is what I would switch to in the event I ran my system all the way down.

I know this is kinda backwards from what and how every one hooks their system up. Most systems have the starting battery get charged first and then the Duo Charge or ACR switches the current into the Larger stereo bank as soon as the starting battery is topped off. Your system looks good you should have no problem either way you decide to run it.

I would put the fuses where ever you like. Some people will tell you that you should put the fuses as close to the batterys as possable so that in the event of a problem your not burning wire before you pop a fuse. Again either way in my book. Put the fuses where you can get to them.
What size should depend on what your load or your amp's require. I Example I have a 80 amp fuse in front of each amp in my boat. Your amps might need a larger or smaller one.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-03-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
Just curious, I had a slight issue with my amps cutting out with the engine off, and while my HU is connected directly to the stereo batteries, the switch that turns the HU is located on my dash and I’m assuming gets power from my starting battery. Is this correct? How are you wiring your switches (turn on HU) to totally isolate your stereo’s from the boat’s electrical?
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-03-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
so the duo charge basically separates the two battery banks making sure both get a charge even if your perko switch is on 1 or 2 correct?
Old     (jdoetch)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-03-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
Sam-You are correct about the switch drawing from your starting battery (In a stock configuration). In my system, I am using the bank of 4 yellow tops to run the HU, amps, and all accessories so I am not isolating the stereo from the rest of the system. My thinking on this is that if the battery bank and charging system is adequate, there should be no problems. If there are problems I can use the perko to switch to the blue top (which is never used and gets charged from the duo charge) and that should get me home.

Mike-You are correct.