Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-06-2012, 9:35 PM Reply   
I am waiting for the boat to be built and already looking at things I need to do. My last boat was a large bowrider that I had two bimini's mounted and then a section added between them that I could connect the two or just have the one. I will be adding something similar to the new boat (2012 MB Sports F21 Tomcat). I would really like to have one that only mounts to the tower so I don't have to drill holes in the new fiberglass. I think I could make it work for the front of the boat if I use the hand rails to attach the front straps. I don't want the new boat looking like a pontoon boat, but function will have to come first on this project. The kicker is all of this must fold down at the end of the day so it can fit in my garage. I guess my question is, has anyone seen something like this or had it done? I am looking for tips, other than don't do it. It is going to happen one way or another, I just want it to look and function as good as possible. I don't have tower speakers and I have seen the old thread with the wakeboard boats that have full enclosures. I sent a note to tower bimini's, but it is late at night, so I will wait to see what they think.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-13-2012, 5:30 PM Reply   
Got a lot of hits with this post. Just want to kick this to the top one last time to see if anyone has done this. Maybe I will be the first? I hate reinventing the wheel if I don't have to.
Old     (Paul)      Join Date: May 2011       02-13-2012, 5:52 PM Reply   
We have an extended bimini on our MC X30. It is basically the standard bimini with a section that adds a bimini top over the remaining cabin area so that the bimini reaches the rear seat/sunpad divide area. The entire bimini attaches directly to the tower, with no straps extending to the deck of the boat. The rear half is detachable so we can use the standard bimini on the not so hot days, or on days when we don't have a lot of people on the boat. It is a real simple design, but is extremely effective, and in no way does it look like a pontoon...I'll try and find some pics for you to see.

We got it directly from the MC dealer when we bought our boat new. I'm pretty sure the MC dealer got a company to make it, as I'm pretty sure it's not a MC factory option. So I'm not sure who made it, but I'll pull it out this weekend when I take the boat out to clean it and start getting it ready for spring, and see who made the bimini.

But yes these bigger biminis do exist and some of them don't look pontoonish.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-13-2012, 6:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
We have an extended bimini on our MC X30. It is basically the standard bimini with a section that adds a bimini top over the remaining cabin area so that the bimini reaches the rear seat/sunpad divide area. The entire bimini attaches directly to the tower, with no straps extending to the deck of the boat. The rear half is detachable so we can use the standard bimini on the not so hot days, or on days when we don't have a lot of people on the boat. It is a real simple design, but is extremely effective, and in no way does it look like a pontoon...I'll try and find some pics for you to see.

We got it directly from the MC dealer when we bought our boat new. I'm pretty sure the MC dealer got a company to make it, as I'm pretty sure it's not a MC factory option. So I'm not sure who made it, but I'll pull it out this weekend when I take the boat out to clean it and start getting it ready for spring, and see who made the bimini.

But yes these bigger biminis do exist and some of them don't look pontoonish.
That would be great. That is similar to what I am thinking about having made for the front and back. I have a lot of ideas, but it will ultimately be up to the bimini manufacture I use.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-13-2012, 6:11 PM Reply   
i am having my bimini made for my new enzo 244. it is going to be all one peice. they are extenting the back of the bimini an extra foot or so. I will find out who is making it. it may be tower bimini, not sure will give you the info asap.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-13-2012, 6:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
i am having my bimini made for my new enzo 244. it is going to be all one peice. they are extenting the back of the bimini an extra foot or so. I will find out who is making it. it may be tower bimini, not sure will give you the info asap.
I contacted them and they were not interested. I was hoping they had done this in the past as they would be my first choice. Sucks for me.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-13-2012, 6:28 PM Reply   
Wouldn't an extra long bimini get hit by the rope?
I spent most of my summer in a 21ft Tomcat and I think it has one of the best stock biminis on the market. Super easy to put up, and it has tons of shade even though its really high.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-13-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
i think it may for some towers. my 09 enzo had the standard bimin and there was no way it was close to fitting. so with the new boat having so much more lounge space, i want the coverage. i guess it will depend on how the tower is located on the boat and the angle of the rope and the length you board at.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-13-2012, 7:03 PM Reply   
Give sewlong a call they made my cargo Bimini for my 09 falcon worked great. Www.sewlong.com I think
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-13-2012, 7:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
Wouldn't an extra long bimini get hit by the rope?
I spent most of my summer in a 21ft Tomcat and I think it has one of the best stock biminis on the market. Super easy to put up, and it has tons of shade even though its really high.
I agree that the stock bimini is huge - without question. Unfortunately for me I have to deal with the Arizona sun. I have thought of adding either a sacrificial piece of sunbrella material to the rear of the bimini or if I can get it done right, a second bar that flows with the hoop of the bimini frame that the rope can rest on. I haven't got it all nailed down yet. I have ideas, but I need to get the boat first and see what the options are. My main goal, other than getting the shade, is to make the whole thing flow with the lines of the boat as much as I can. Function does have to override style sometimes.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-13-2012, 7:19 PM Reply   
The bimini on my 2012 MB 21WB is huge. It nearly covers the entire cockpit area. I dig big biminis and I can't imagine wanting it bigger. But, hey, whatever floats your boat!
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-13-2012, 7:33 PM Reply   
Tillys marine did this one for me on my old boat. Worked out great. Easy one man job to set up, and only really needed the extension when in parker or if the women came along

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-13-2012, 8:42 PM Reply   
I reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllly can not edit pictures, but this is near the shape I would like to achieve. If someone can edit better, please feel free. My problem would be how to keep the front down. I am not sure how many bars I would need or where to mount them. I am really trying not to mount anything to the new fiberglass. Time will tell. In my head it looks great. Now if I can just get that across to the guy building it.
Attached Images

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-16-2012, 6:43 AM Reply   
^^^^Holy cow! with that extra large bimini I'm having a hard time figuring out if you're trying to wakeboard, or trying make your MB take flight!
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-16-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
try calling these guys

http://innovativemarinecanvas.com/index.html
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-16-2012, 9:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
^^^^Holy cow! with that extra large bimini I'm having a hard time figuring out if you're trying to wakeboard, or trying make your MB take flight!
That was pretty funny
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-16-2012, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesurfer View Post
I will if my local guy can't get it done. I have used a place called Southwest Marine Canvas here in Phoenix in the past and have heard that Phoenix Tent and Awning has a good reputation as well. Innovative Marine Canvas is in Utah and I am not sure how it would work long distance.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-19-2012, 3:37 PM Reply   
Back from the dead...

Got the boat a few weeks ago. Have been trying to get a hold of Southwest Marine Canvas and can't seem to get anyone on the phone or find anyone in the shop. Called a few places and went on a few websites looking for local places. I am going to head up to Arizona Boat Top (www.ensdesignstudios.com) tomorrow. Looks promising. Found a place called Gemini Canvas (www.geminicanvas.com) that sells strapless bimini tops. I am going to try and use their idea for no straps. Wish I were good at drawing.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-19-2012, 3:41 PM Reply   
Z5 cargo biminis. Have you given them a try? Nothing like your pic above, but the largest Ive seen and also folds down quite easily.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-29-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
Posted this over on mbboatowners a few minutes ago - Well, it finally got done. I think I am going to see if they can lower the second bar from the front a little as it sticks up a little. The guy at Arizona Boat Tops is an idiot. Sorry for the harsh words, but I have dealt with him and can make that statement with facts to back it up. He did not listen to anything I said other than colors. I wanted the bimini's to be easy to put up and down and to fold up and ride tied up. They do, but you have to flip the front one around and put the back one in different holes. Takes two people and that is not what I wanted (wanted the wife to get the kids ready while I got the bimini up). The thing is ridiculously complicated to put up (I have only taken it down one time). I am disappointed in the complicated nature and the experience dealing with these guys, but it looks decent and will function properly so I am not going to trash it or anything. All in all, once I forget about the place it got done and I get used to putting it up and down I will be happier. These pictures are when I picked it up yesterday. The front on picture looks like the bimini is crooked, but it just needed a little more pull on the left side and that straightened it up. I didn't get any pictures of it after we did that. I will get a few pictures of it on Sunday. I will be replacing the black straps with white ones as well.
Attached Images

Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-29-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
Holy Huge Bimini Batman!! you're gonna need ALOT of extra ballast cause that thing is gonna cause some LIIIFT! jk but that thing is huge, that would be super annoying to me, but to each his own. keeping the wife happy is THE most important thing, and if she wants shade, by god you got it!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-29-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Does your family Burn easily what. Btw lemme know if you wanna take your MB kite-boating, I'll give you a pull/anchor you down
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-29-2012, 11:26 AM Reply   
is that thing going to hold up while pulling a rider and a huge gust of wind hits???
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-29-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
I think in that dip area just in front of the tower they should have put a zipper that marries the two together. That way you can remove the front section when it's not needed. IMO that would be much easier to set up yourself. Looks huge, hope it holds up when you're underway.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-29-2012, 12:47 PM Reply   
I feel the love in here today The front bimini does have a zipper that allows it to come apart. Once the front is removed, I actually like it better. It feels a little pontoonish to me with the front one on, but in this case I have to go with function over appearance. You are all invited to come to Arizona in the summer and sit in the boat with the bimini off. Trust me, this thing is worth it's weight in gold during our summers. Maybe I could get a bigger one next time and save on gas My last boat had about 3 feet longer and it stayed put at 50mph on the water. This one is all stainless steel and better be strong for what I paid
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-29-2012, 12:54 PM Reply   
did you ever get a quote from towerbiminis.com? I think I'm gonna have them build mine, lots of good things said about them, well see how they do for me, I know its gonna cost me at least $800
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-29-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
I tried towerbiminis first. The said it was not something they do. They were my first choice.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-29-2012, 2:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySki View Post
You are all invited to come to Arizona in the summer and sit in the boat with the bimini off. Trust me, this thing is worth it's weight in gold during our summers.
Yeah Cole you have me there. During the summer my bikini is like a nipple pasty compared to yours. Only thing on my side is I go out SUPER EARLY in the summer and finish before some serious heat/sun comes out.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-30-2012, 11:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah Cole you have me there. During the summer my bikini is like a nipple pasty compared to yours. Only thing on my side is I go out SUPER EARLY in the summer and finish before some serious heat/sun comes out.
Curt, I bet you look good in that bikini!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-30-2012, 12:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
lol... and I want to see you wearing your "nipple pasty"
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-30-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
Oh boy.... I'm never gonna live that typo down
I'm meant to say BIMINI and auto correct thought otherwise