Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-30-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
At the start of the wakesurfing season it looked liked wakesurfing was going to suffer the ill effects of the down economy. Fortunately a few companies and organizations have introduced their own stimulus package to kick start the wakesurf economy. Just returned from the TWC and the Outlaws put on a great event. There stimulus package included over $14000.00 in prizes and money.

Now the 2009 National Wakesurf Championship will have $4000.00 for first place prize money for the open divisions. Besides the WWSC, I believe this is the most 1st place prize money ever offer at a wakesurf event. Total cash and prizes for the event will be over $10000.00.

The TWC and 2009 National Wakesurf Championship have really stepped up to the plate. I would highly recommend that people support the sponsors of these two great events.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-02-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
I hope I’m not breaking the rules here…

This whole thing, the events that I’ve been working on, started in the winter of 2005 with Jeff Walker asking if someone in the Midwest would be interested in helping organize a wakesurf event. I’d never been involved in organized water sports but offered to help anyway. You have to give Jeff the credit for starting or supporting a wide range of events and for all the advice he provides here and on other forums.

To be honest I couldn’t have pulled off running events without a lot of help; it truly takes a village. Our events have had lots of support from many corners. The local support from your family, my crew, and well beyond is inspiring.

USA Water Ski has been behind the events that I’ve organized since 2006. Chris Walker never stops, he always scheming the next big thing for wakeboarding. He’s also making wakesurfing one of his priorities. Most of the wakesurf community doesn’t see what he’s doing for the sport; I see it all the time. Last time we spoke I could just tell he has big ideas for next year.

This year Chris and USA Wakeboard have brought Wakeboard Nationals , Cable park Nationals Wakesurf Nationals to Nationwide Cable-TV media. We’ll have the top wakeboard, cable and wakesurf riders in the country on NBC Universal Sports Cable. Money and sponsorship are tight this year, still though USA Wakeboard bit the bullet and underwrote the production costs. The scope of the production has been reduced but the NBC deal is out there for us for two more years. If you have big ideas for growing the sport get a hold of Chris.

We’ve had a significant contraction in the offered events this year. Hopefully next year we can continue to grow the sport so we can continue to make new friends, share the excitement, and just enjoy time on the water.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-02-2009, 10:29 PM Reply   
very cool.