Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-15-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
This is a sort of new boat delivery (pickup really) travel log. I’m going to ramble on about how my day went, the new boat, and so on. This is long and if you’re not into stories well that’s the short version, go a head and take look at the pictures and have a nice day:-)

I recently traded the Mighty Centurion (Lightning) for a Mighty Enzo. Friday March 14th was pickup day. According to Google the distance from Columbus, Ohio to CBK Water Sports in Kingsport, Tennessee is 392 miles and the one way drive time is about six hours and 42 minutes. My day stared at 5:30 AM and ended well after midnight.

Since I was buying out of state I called the local license bureau and title office to make sure I had everything I needed. I exchanged a few emails with Nate to also make sure I had all the paperwork in order to complete the transaction. Then I mapped my route with Google.

I turned off the blaring alarm clock at 5:30 AM, took a quick military shower. Then I drove down to the Scioto Boat Club and hitched the Mighty Centurion up one last time.

The route that Google selected took a route 33 out of Columbus. Route 33 is diagonal to route 77. The other route would have been 70 east and 77 south down to the junction of 77 and 33. Dawn began to break as I reached Nelsonville. I no longer needed to turn the dome light on to read my Google map. Route 33 might be more direct as the crow flies but is also had a lot of twists and turns and too much map work for one driver. Route 33 ran into and out of towns, tons of speed zones, stoplights, and stop signs.

I didn’t have breakfast and so I kept looking for an exit with gas station and fast food. The needle started plummet so I gave up on looking for the combo stop and just went for gas. I really was looking forward to and Egg McMuffin, who eats healthy on a road trip anyway. I ended up settling for a 20 ounce Mountain Dew and a sleeve of powdered doughnuts, yum.

There was a coal barge traveling down the Ohio River as I crossed over it near Ravenswood, West Virginia. The route over the bridge eventually had me at a stop sign over looking the coal barge. I though to myself, hmmmm coal barges, tons of coal – ballast really. I wonder what the surfing wake is like behind one of those. From A distance it looked a little frothy, surfing barge wake is probably a good way to earn a fine, and well I was planning to get to CBK by 2-ish so I had to make tracks.

If the two happiest days in a man’s life are the days that he bought a boat and the day that he sold a boat then what kind of day is it when you trade one boat in for another? Yep, it was just me and the Mighty Centurion on one last road trip. Just business, buying a selling boats. Anyway just me and the boat. Though my kids are pretty much grown, no stopping for little ones. I though ya, a man’s trip, no stopping all the ladies all the time. That’s about when the Mountain Dew kicked in, just in time for a road side rest stop.

I don’t know if it’s just me or maybe someone else has noticed this before. West Virginia is kind of hilly. I was making good time and there were no traffic problems but it just seems like WV was up hill all the way. My truck dropped out of OD all the time, well that’s to be expected, right? Well, the truck down shifted to second quite a few times too.

The southern section if I77 is a toll road. Before the first toll stop I remember seeing the sign that said to check brakes, slow down, and that all lanes took Easy Pass. What I missed was the sign that said one lane was Easy Pass only. That was my lane. I pulled up, rolled down my window and noticed no one was in the booth. I heard the gal with a thick southern drawl in the next booth to the left of me yell over to the booth on my right side “Some people can’t read”. I have a degree in engineering, an advance degree in engineering, and I spend most of my days writing technical material. I can read - honest. I felt sheepish. So, I put the truck in park, rolled down the right hand window, and leaned way over to hand the booth attendant my $1.50 toll. I did much better on the remaining toll stops.

I reached Bristol around 1:00 PM. I was a little hungry and I happened across the golden arches so I stopped for a burger. At the entrance was a sign that said “Welcome Race Fans”. The parking lot was packed and there wasn’t any place for a truck and trailer. So I parked up the street and walked over. Many of the counter staff wore NASCAR T-shirts. I asked if there was a race track in the area. The gal looked at me like I was from outer space and said “Ya, Bristol”. “Oh”, I said, after hearing Bristol it did register that Bristol was a big NASCAR track.

There wasn’t much more driving before I reached CBK. I met Nate, Pat, Nick, and Josh (Josh – right?). The previous owner of my boat was there too, John I think. I really wasn’t expecting to see the previous owner. We walked over to the Mighty Enzo, rolled the cover back and gave the boat a look over. She’s a great looking boat. I turned over the engine, opened the hatches, kicked tiers, and so on. The boat looks practically new. The guys at CBK had cleaned up out some boat bumper rash and other dock rash as well as a few trailer paint dings. I couldn’t find any marks, nice job guys. One of the Centurion trailer stickers had to be removed to clean up the paint on the trailer. Nate has a replacement on order for me. That’s cool. So, big thanks to the guys at CBK. The boat looks great and I can’t wait to get her on the water.

I didn’t want to spend the night in a hotel so we went in to wrap up the paper work. There’s a lot less paper work for boats than for cars. After a few signatures and photo copies we were done. Nate ran around the shop and handed me a CBK T-shirt, Centurion T-shirt for my daughter, and some stickers. He didn’t have a Centurion T-shirt in my size but said that he’d send me a few. With the paperwork and swag out of the way it was time to hit the road.

Everyone says that you shouldn’t trailer with the cover on. I’ve had the Mighty Centurion Light rigged so I can trailer with the cover on. I’ve got a rope and bungee cord system that I like to use. I haven’t seen trailer issues with my system. The cover on the Enzo is similar but the boat doesn’t sit on the trailer like the Lightning does. I wasn’t going to have time to fix up bungee rigging for the Enzo. I don’t know why covers don’t match trailers very well. I had read about masking the boat hull with tape where the cover might come in contact. So I taped off the hull at the fabric straps. I stopped at the CBK gate to snap a few pictures of the boat and then hit the road.

As I got rolling I thought maybe there’s something wrong with my truck. It seems like she’s spending a lot more time in 3rd than OD than she was on the way down. That’s definitely a bigger boat:-) As I headed down the road I saw one of the cover straps vibrating madly. Hmmm… that’s not good. I finally found a road side rest stop. I took a look and saw that the protective tape had worn away at one strap. I put more tape over the hull, I taped paired strap bands together and I made sticky on the outside tape loops and put the loops between the hull and straps. That worked very well. The tape on the strapped stopped them from vibrating.

I thought that West Virginia was up hill north to south. It seems like no mater what direction you driving through West Virginia, it’s up hill. It started to get dark and the rain picked up. Taking snow and ice out of the picture, some of the worst driving conditions are at night in the rain. No let’s make that, at night, in the rain, and on unfamiliar roads, that’s it, right? Wait, how about towing a new trailer, at night, in the rain, on unfamiliar roads, and after a long day.

To make up for junk food breakfast and lunch I stopped at a BP-Subways for dinner and gas. Man I stopped at a lot of gas stations to pick up the Mighty Enzo.

I just took it easy, stayed mostly in the right lane, and motored along. I recalled seeing an exit for 33 east and that I was on the junction of 77 and 33. I missed 33W dang it. Well 33W wasn’t that great of a route, I was getting tired, and I77 and I70 are both excellent highways, so I just continued on my way to Cambridge and then to Columbus. Funny thing, over Ohio roadways it was hard to notice the difference between pulling the Mighty Centurion and the Mighty Enzo. I was at Cambridge around 10:00 PM and so I figured I’d be at the boat club by 11:30 and home by midnight. A long day to be sure.

I made the tight corner in to the boat club and stopped in front of the club awning. I pulled out the camera again and took a shot of the Mighty Enzo in front of her new home. As I was walking around to take a picture I heard a hissing sound. Steam maybe. Had the Mighty Enzo been too much for my Chevy Avalanche? No the sound was coming from the boat. Did one of the axels over heat, no they were cool. Over on the right side of the boat I heard the hiss and I started to get that old tire smell. I had a rip in the side wall of one trailer tire. There’s an old rusted, bent and cut off stub of a fence pipe at the boat club entrance. The trailer must have snagged that pipe when I made the turn in to the club. That’s a bummer but at least I got home ok and I didn’t snag both tires. I’ll have to get a sledge or something to take care of the old post.

Well I’m sure that’s more than most of you wanted to read. The tire has been repaired and the Mighty Enzo is in her new home. I need a matching spare tire rim. Does anyone know what the brand and model are and where to get one?

Lots of stops at gas stations
Upload
My bungee trailer straps
Upload
Breakfast
Upload
The rig
Upload
The Mighty Enzo
Upload
Yes I was at CBK
Upload
Masking tape
Upload
Worn masking tape
Upload
The rig with a better back drop
Upload
The Mighty Enzo with a better back drop
Upload
There goes $100
Upload
The Mighty Enzo at the SBC
Upload
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-15-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
......well....brings back memories of my shorter fall voyage!....but it will def. give people the right idea of a road trip.....loooonnnnggggg!

...nice work and congrats on the new mighty!

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on March 15, 2008)
Old    wakeridinrob            03-15-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
Here are the wheels... any tire place can get these for you

http://www.uniquewheel.com/catalog_pg4.html
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-15-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
Enough with the "mighty" already!
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-15-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
Sounds like a great roadtrip. Enjoy the new boat.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-15-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
All that to ask about a spare?
Great story! Congrats on the new enzo!!
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-15-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
beautiful boat congrats
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-15-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
Thanks Rob. I looked at the web page. I saw about 48 different part numbers for the wheel that looks like mine. I'll ask Nate, I'm sure he knows.

John, I tend to go too far with an idea. You should see what I did with Kokopelli art.

I've got another road trip planned. In late April I'm bring her (see I didn't say M...) back to Tennessee for a wakesurfing "Surf and Turf" on Lake Norris. But this time I'm going to take three days, not one.
Old     (wannabewakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-15-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
Nice wirte up, both good looking boats! enjoy the enzo!
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-15-2008, 9:21 PM Reply   
Great road trip story!! It brings back memories of buying my fathers malibu and bringing it out to AZ from TX. That was a 15-16 hour drive. Luckily for me I had my father to switch off driving with.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-15-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
I made a similar treck from Birmingham to New Orleans last weekend. Left mid-day Friday, got into NO and checked into our hotel. Rushed over to watch the Hornets play the New Jersey Nets. Woke up the next morning and found some beignets for breakfast, found a place for Po-Boys for lunch in the French Quarter, picked up my new to me VLX and we were back home by 11 PM. Great trip overall, our pace was a little more leisurely, but we managed to work in some fun.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-15-2008, 11:19 PM Reply   
Its a boatmate trailer. go to boatmatetrailers.com, then call jerry and ask him about the rim and tire. Super easy fix
Old     (2onboone)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-16-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
congrats on the new boat
the cbk guys are top notch
my wife and i bought a new avalanche from them last year and they have been nothing but pro's
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-16-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
You can get that same tire and wheel from Overtons for a lot less than Boatmate.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-16-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
Nice write up. 2 weeks till I pick up my Avy in Columbus and the long hour back to Dayton.

Also on my list is a spare wheel and tire that I need to get welded on the trailer. Thanks for the heads-up on Overton's. Does the list for a new boat ever end???
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-16-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
Ed - Glad to hear that you made it back, bummer about the tire. Call me on Monday and I'll see what I can get my hands on. It was great to deal with you and I am super stoked that you are in a real surfin' machine now. I look forward to your descriptive weight placement diagrams on how to get it perfected. Thanks again!

Oh....Time to change that profile pic.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-16-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
Ya, Joe. I was at Mike’s Shop last Wednesday and saw your Avy. That's a great looking boat.

You just reminded me that I need to also buy a fire extinguisher. On my to-do list is:
1) Title and taxes
2) Registration
3) OH Numbers
4) Dbot Wakesuf racks
5) Bullet or similar wakeboard racks
6) Spare tire and rim
7) Spare prop
8) Fire extinguisher

I don’t think I’ll get a chance to hit the water in March. I’m shooting for early April.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-16-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
OK then
9) Change profile pic

Nate, I think I have a tire lined up for $50 and shipping. That's a deal. Do you know if the tires on an AVY trailer are the same as the tires on the Enzo trailer?
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-17-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
Is it bad that i bought a new surfboard, wakeboard, and straightline before bumpers and an anchor???

Gonna hit the DMV this week for plates and registration. I'll let you know if after waiting an hour I forgot my 5th form of ID.
Old     (superez)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-18-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
Very nice Enzo (Congrats), and that was a great story. I'm glad you made it back safe and sound. Mine was similar when we picked up the Avy in the spring of 2006. Through the Canadian Rockies (BC back to Alberta), from rain to snow with the same boat cover. A crazy 7 hour drive but at least I was familiar with the route, and it was daylight!

I have since upgraded to a Rankin cover and love it.

Can't wait to see your wake pics, enjoy!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-18-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
Bigshow,

If you have to tow with a cover on I found you can get awa with it one of 2 ways. You can wrap old pieces of towel around the part that contacts the hull and tape them to the strap that works well but the towel can unravel in storms due to the tape loosing it tackiness.

Second trick I tried that works as wel is a tennis ball. Take more prep but you cut two holes on the end of a teennis ball and slip the strap through. You can either not the strap on both ends if you have enough strap to keep the ball in place or just use the tension from the strap. Either way SCUFF FREE AND WONT DAMAGE THE DEcal either or leave those marks :-)

Again congrats on your dream boat :-)
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-18-2008, 9:01 PM Reply   
I wouldn't do either of these especially if its wet the soot and sand crap from the road will collect in the fabric and turn it into a wetsander, with that windflap it's an orbital/reciprocal sander! no thanks!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-18-2008, 9:55 PM Reply   
Straps should be tight enough the windflap is next to negligeable. Been doing it for 15yrs plus with no scratches, or scuffs whatsoever in some awful conditions on 5 different boats onf mine and numerous deliveries of new boats. Know of at least 15 others who do it as well. The tennis ball if drilled out properly and using the knotted method will roll if there is wind flap so it will not scuff. The towel method works in a bind

If it needs to be done again I highly recommend this. But I will alays tow without a cover when possible

Sorry for the edits had some awful typos
(Message edited by xstarrider on March 18, 2008)

(Message edited by xstarrider on March 18, 2008)
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-19-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
Looks like it was a great trip. I did a similar trek from Indianapolis to just outside of Washington DC last fall to pick up my boat. It was a long drive, but I actually ended up enjoying it.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-19-2008, 7:13 AM Reply   
well after reading all that i was expecting to see good pics of the boat,you gave us only shots of the boat with cover on it and a flat tire..what a rip off :-)

lets get some nice in and out pics of that boat asap as well as some on water pics..
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-19-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
Dude, I spent 17 hours on the road picking her up. She's not even titled yet. I just ordered more board racks for OnlyInboards. They had problems with stock but bent over backwards to make a great deal for me. I'll have racks for 4 thick surf boards and 4 skim/wakeboards. Really, Ian at Only Inboards was right one the spot and gave me a great deal.

We just got over getting slammed with 20 inches of snow. Today we were supposed to get 5 inches of rain. In due time I’ll update add on equipement and in water pics. I’ll get on the water in April but I’ll have to re winterize after the first few runs.

This Friday I'm going to deal with canvas ropes and better support.