Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-03-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
Here's a story from my local paper. I work less than 2 miles away from where this went down.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-wrong-target/
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-03-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
Good!

Old     (imx)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-03-2010, 7:03 PM Reply   
Our illustrious leaders here have devised a brilliant way of allowing victims of this type of crime to fight back legally. You are allowed to respond with equal force only, to defend yourself. The theory goes something like this: you are asleep at home and some thugs break in, before you do anything to respond you first have to ascertain what type of threat you are facing and what weapons they have. Once you have done this you have to put everything on hold until you select an appropriate weapon of similar type from your selection of knives, bats, golf clubs or guns if you have any (which is extremely rare here because most of the firearms in the civilian community are held by criminals) that you have set aside purely for this type of situation and can now start to defend yourself.
Once again our fearless leaders showing their acute grasp of everyday life.
Old    bigdtx            07-03-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
Actually it's the cops that don't want you to have guns - no matter how much they try to pretend that not the case.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-03-2010, 8:27 PM Reply   
^^^ That is as true as it gets.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-04-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
you break into my house at 3am expect to be shot. Period! My attorney friends always say "if someone is in your house and they forced their way in, you have every right to defend yourself" So, I asked them if I shot them dead am I going to jail, and the answer is always the same. NO..... so come in and get shot.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-04-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
Justifiable homicide will prevent you from a criminal trial, but I promise you that a civil trial will clean your clock. You will be tied up in a civil trial by family members and at the very least spend thousands defending yourself... and that's the best case scenario.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-05-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
So Barry what are we supposed to do then. it's 3am someone is in my house with 4 small kids and my wife...I am supposed to ask him to leave? Anyone in this world that this happens to and they own a gun is pulling the trigger and if they aren't they shouldn't own a gun. I just can't see how I am in trouble sleeping in my own bed someone breaks in trys to come up my stairs and I shoot them. Sorry bout cha luck man! Any jury or judge is gonna say same thing....if it were me I would have done same thing. What are my options? Let him come up grab my family, kill them, rob us, rape my girls or my wife....not happening....shoot first ask later!!
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-05-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
^^^ I agree with your stance however this is still the same judicial system which awarded some idiot 25 mil for spilling hot coffee on their lap.
Old    ScottRobinson            07-05-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
.......ah........ true..........25 million from McDonalds I think, although my attorney friend said it didn't hold up they did settle out of court for something.

I do get your point tho.... just hope it never happens.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-05-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
Plus there was a burglar in california that fell through a glass table in an old lady's house. He sued for damages and the injury and won. The old woman had to pay the burglar. We're living in a very effed up society.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-05-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
Not to forget about the guy that broke into a family's home while they were away on vacation. Somehow he became trapped in the garage and had to eat dog food for a few days. The family gets back and finds the guy and calls the cops. The family in return gets sued for pain and suffering by the burglar. Not sure how it turned out, but nonetheless it would really chap my ass.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-05-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
Scott,
I'm not suggesting the justice system is right. I am simply clearing up the misconception that if you use force that results in severe injury to death to the perp and you're found justified and never charged criminally you're home free...It's not true- you will most likely face a civil trial that will probably cost you everything you own.

Quote:
not happening....shoot first ask later!!
Look, as much as I dislike seeing innocent people be victimized by criminals and then our "justice" system, I would not adopt that policy. You will find no one who is more pro firearm/self defense than I am. I will still act in a way that is least likely to cause havoc to me and my family. If there is ANY avenue that will allow me to keep me and my family safe without opening myself up to liability, I will take it.

But hey, don't listen to me.. I don't know what I'm talking about.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-06-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
First of all I am protecting my family. If you break in, you will be found DEAD! Civil, Criminal I do not care. My family comes first and the robbery/thug comes last...Dead last!
Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-06-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
While I completely agree that if you break into my house you will be shot.....You must also be willing to face the consequences as well.

While I am not sure about every state having taken a number of law classes I can tell you that where I live you must attempt to escape the situation and the perp. Retreat further into your home, bedroom bath etc. While I disagree with this what the law was basically stating was if you are sitting on your couch and someone breaks in the front door you cannot drop him where he stands if so you are likely to face some sort of litigation. Now is said intruder has a weapon in their hand and you face imminent danger the rules change a bit too.

Point being don't believe you can justify shooting someone just cus they are in your house sadly it's never that simple. You CAN protect you life with deadly force but protection of your personal property with deadly force will not fly. In the case above the intruders shot at the home owner and thankfully he was competent with his handgun and able to defend himself.

Also for what it is worth I highly recommend to anyone that has a CCP or has a gun in the house to go to qualified place and get some training in using such a weapon in a stressful situation. First of all because it is important to be safe and secondly because the classes are actually a lot of fun once you swallow your pride and except that there is always a lot to be learned.

That being said should you choose to invade my home I hope you have body armor.

Just my .02
Old    ScottRobinson            07-07-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
All well said everyone. I think most of us agree on it. Laws are there and we know it, but in those situations family and myself comes first. I will deal with the outcomes later as long as my family is safe.

I really hope no one in here EVER has to deal with anything remotely close to any of these situations we have presented.

Now lets go RIDE !!

Last edited by ScottRobinson; 07-07-2010 at 7:42 AM. Reason: s
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-08-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
As said above, even a legal shooting will cost you between $50k and $100k to defend. There are self defense insurance policies out there for about $10/mo that cover the cost of self defense shootings.