Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old    ervin            03-11-2005, 5:31 AM Reply   
It's that time of year to bring out the cleaning supplies and prep our boats for the season ahead of us. I've searched the forum, but would like to hear some additional comments regarding boat wax vs pledge.
I have read the thread on PlanetNautique about the guy who used pledge starting day one and never waxed his boat. After 11 some years, the boats' gel coat looks like it just rolled off the line.
I waxed my trailer last night and washed the hull. After drying I used pledge on the back side of the boat to test and to my surprise it looked better than any wax job I've ever done in the past on my boat. Previously I've always waxed twice a year polishing first then topping it off with a teflon marine wax.
What is everyone's opinions on using pledge?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2005, 5:37 AM Reply   
Do you mean pledge funrture polish? Do you just buy some cans of it, spray it on the hull and wipe it down?
Old    ervin            03-11-2005, 5:46 AM Reply   
Exactly, I heard that it does not fill the pours in the gel coat like wax does. This may be a misconception, that's what I'd like to find out.
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-11-2005, 7:03 AM Reply   
I usually put a coat of pure carnuba wax on the hull with the buffer in the spring. The rest of the year I use Water/Vinegar to remove the water spots (mostly due to the high calcium content in the water out here) then wipe down with Pledge. The gel looks just as good as the day I bought it 4 years ago.
Old    leggester            03-11-2005, 8:09 AM Reply   
I don't know that Pledge would be all that good or environmentally sound for water applications.

Although I don't know that silicones effect water at all.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-11-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
This is an interesting thread. I'd never heard anything about this, but I from what I understand Pledge (or at least the old formulas) had wax in it. I may be try it out. I usually do the same thing as Chris M, but I wax 2-3 times per year (usually after long weekends, etc), but I'd never tried pledge... Hmm.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-11-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
someone else has to have nore info on this. I am the clearner for Ed's X2 (duties of being the 2nd) and I would like to know more about this. Could this hurt your gel coat? Would you have to remove the extra polish before washing and waxing? Would the sun have any effect on this? I with Evan when he says hmmm....
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-11-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
I've detailed a lot of boats. Years ago we tried Pledge. It's just really a quickie, "showroom" detail. I don't think it's that good over the long run. As I recall, it collects a lot of dirt. I would invest in some good boat polish, preferably one with a polymer sealer and UV protection. Carnuba wax tends to build up and does not seal the finish. Hope this helps.
Old     (hsmunoz)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-11-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   
delta dave,

would you say that the combination of a good wax every say 3-4 months, with a "quickie" shot of pledge after a weekend would be a good routine?

which wax would you recommend for boats?
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-11-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
303 has the UV and the deep "quickie" shine of pledge. So slick the dust falls off....lol
www.303products.com
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-11-2005, 1:39 PM Reply   
A good polish every 4 months. Wax tends to build up, including Pledge. So, you want more of a polish. West Marine sells Polymer Boat Polish. You might try that. They also sell Teflon Boat Polish. Also, McGuires #59 spray wax for occasional use. With one of these polishes, you probably won't need anything like Pledge. 303 Aerospace Protectant? I've only used that on the vinyl. That's good stuff. Never tried it on fiberglass.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-11-2005, 1:49 PM Reply   
Here is the web site info on fiberglass:

Does 303 replace Wax on Fiberglass?

Gelcoat fiberglass is polyester resin with the pigment in the resin, commonly used in boats, RV’s, snowmobiles, jet ski’s, etc. Gelcoat fiberglass rapidly fades and chalks with traditional maintenance being tedious and repetitive buffing and waxing.

303 Aerospace Protectant is an alternative to buffing and waxing. 303 restores like new color and gloss to faded gelcoat fiberglass by spraying on and polishing completely dry.

A new appearance is maintained with periodic spray on/wipe off applications usually every 45-60 days of exposure. Fiberglass shines. Colors stay bright.

In addition, the 303’d surface is extremely repellent to water, soiling and staining…staying cleaner longer and clean up is much easier when soiled.

So for gelcoat fiberglass 303 Aerospace Protectant is a superior with respect to ease of use, level of protection, appearance and repellency.

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-11-2005, 1:53 PM Reply   
Troy ~ I thought you were in the metal business?
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       03-11-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
303 is great for vinyl, but I find it leaves fiberglass kind of oily and streaky looking. I've never used pledge but I've heard of people using it several years ago.
Old    zboomer            03-11-2005, 3:09 PM Reply   
If you apply to the gel properly it doesn't look oily or streaky, it looks AWESOME. I used 303 exclusively on the vinyl, and gel coat on my '04 SSV.

They key is to not use too much, and buff off properly. I contaced 303 about it, and they said by using a small amount and buffing, it works best.

I'll never wax a boat again after discovering 303.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-11-2005, 3:15 PM Reply   
Even if you have a few streaks they all come off the first time you wipe down the boat after using it in the water. Durring wipe down I consistenly get complimented on how smooth the surface is and how easy the wipe down is. I have never met anyone who goes back to wax. Nothing beats 100% UV protection.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-11-2005, 3:17 PM Reply   
Too bad 303 wont work on metal!!!! My poor trailer never gets any attention now.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-11-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
What do you guys do for the bottom of the boat? I could see waxing up to the rails but underneath the boat is awfully hard to reach. Does anyone go the do it yourself car wash and spray the bottom of the boat with wax?
Old    walt            03-11-2005, 6:09 PM Reply   
I've used pledge before and it makes the boat look nice and wet but I found it had a oily residue and dirt would stick to it. Just my 2 cents.
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-12-2005, 4:32 AM Reply   
I've used Frenzy wax, which my dealer gave me whe I bought the boat. It works great, just wondered if anyone else has used it and what the long term results are?
http://waxingfrenzy.com
Old    whitechocolate            03-12-2005, 7:31 AM Reply   
I bought a small buffer from Home Depot, It costs like $25 for the whole kit, You can wax your whole boat in less the 45 min, Its so small it makes getting the underside between the bunk's a snap. This is what I use. when Im finished you can see the and feel the diffrerance.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-14-2005, 8:10 AM Reply   
What kind of applicator pad do you use Grant? Foam? I assume a Terry or Micro fiber for removal? I spent a lot of time on a creeper under my boat. I know the trailer won't collapse, but there is still a little irrational fear there!

ThanKs

Eric
Old    whitechocolate            03-14-2005, 8:23 AM Reply   
Yes its a Terry cloth applicator that ties onto the Buffer. One for putting wax on and one for taking it off. I could use some extras if any one knows where I can find them
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-14-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
Grant,
try www.mcmaster.com
for extra polishing terries. They have just about everything. You will have to probably search for it on the site
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-14-2005, 8:41 AM Reply   
After reading this post Friday I decided to give the 303 a try. I used Meguires #67 one step cleaner first, and then applied the 303. I found that if you just mist the 303 on it wipes off real easy, and leaves an awesome shine.

The 303 was ten times easier than using the traditional three step waxing procedure I normally use.

shine
Old    bambamski            03-14-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
I've been using 303 for years now. Like a couple of others guys have said, you have to be careful not to use too much or it will streak. It brings out the colour in the boat better for sure.
Old    zboomer            03-14-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
303 all the way! Looks good!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-14-2005, 10:59 AM Reply   
Question about applying 303..... Do you spray it on and immediately wipe it off, or do you spray it on, let it dry, and then wipe/buff? If you let it dry, how long do you let it dry?

Will using an electric buffer, such as the one Grant uses, bring out a better shine with 303, or should you just wipe it off?
Old    bambamski            03-14-2005, 12:56 PM Reply   
wipe it off right away. Just do little sections at a time. I've never used the buffer so I can't answer that question. If it streaks it's not a big deal, just spray some more on and wipe clean.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-14-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
I just went on the 303 website and ordered some free samples. Also found a local store that sells their products. Im taking you guys words for this and try it. With a spray application Ill probably get under the boat too. I gotta admit, WW is loaded with useful info about almost anything......thanx
Old     (l7wakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-15-2005, 6:50 AM Reply   
I want to try out the 303 protectant stuff but want to know if I should use some sort of cleaner wax first. Our boat is pretty old and has some pretty bad oxidation from over the years. We just bought it last year and want to get it all cleaned up before the season starts. So, for all of you experts out there, should we use some sort of cleaner wax and then the 303 or will the 303 get rid of the oxidation/ fading as well?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-15-2005, 8:10 AM Reply   
Ryan,

Try the Mequires #67 that's what I used.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-15-2005, 11:27 AM Reply   
Paul, what webpage to did you visit to obtain free samples? I need to shine up!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-15-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=freesample
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-15-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
What Jarret said....beat me 2 it...haha
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-15-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
Now if 303 was only cheaper...
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-15-2005, 10:41 PM Reply   
Maybe it would be cheaper if you guys quit giving it so much hype...

I've used it on my vinyl, now I'll give it a try on the gelcoat--looks like it's a good thing I have the gallon jug!
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       03-16-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
Another vote for 303 on the gelcoat. It works very well and seems to last longer than wax on the hull.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-16-2005, 4:59 PM Reply   
Greg,

where have you been hiding? I thought you had sold your boat and were gone?