Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    alanp            06-24-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
also considering this boat. i tend to ride around 21 mph at about 65-70 ft on my supersport/san. how is the wake at this speed. is it rideable. is it comparable to a san? im concerned that the beam width will make the table to wide at these speeds?
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-25-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
I ride mine at 21-21.5 with a quarter ballast. Great wake!
Old    ScottRobinson            06-25-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
Alan where are you. I just researched this alot before I bought my 2011 just a few weeks ago. Let me know where you are located and I can shoot you some people to talk to.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-25-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
I think the Epic wake is very much like a heavily weighted Super Air. It is also super narrow. Behind my Super Air I usually ride 23.2 at 80'. When I was down in FL demoing one with a sales rep, I think I added 10' to the line. Another rider in the boat, Jay Prock, was riding 92.5' at around 24'.

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-25-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
I ride behind my buddy's at 65' and 21 and it's a big wake, I don't think the width is any different than my Tige RZ2 is at the same speed and length.
Old    ScottRobinson            06-25-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
Yeah I agree, if you load it down 4000# of the stock ballast it is a bit intimidating at first. I am not great but that wake is very big !
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-25-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Nice - Scott, if your wake looks like that next month, my knees are going to explode!
If that guy rides at 24 and 92', should I bring more line down with me just in case?
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       06-26-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
if you load up the tanks your going to have to run in at 24+. if your not comfortable at that speed its probally not the boat for you. Big boats require a faster speed in general to get a good wake. At 21 even w/o full tanks that wakes going to be soft as hell. Def not getting the epic wake out of it.

If your good with the speed that wake is mackin'
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-26-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
24 only seems fast until you do it for a day. Then it just seems normal.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-26-2010, 6:47 PM Reply   
I was riding 23 today at 70 feet. I am not very good but I felt very comfortable and the wake was excellent. Took no effort to go wake to wake.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-28-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
2007 Epic 23V. Rope 70ft, 23mph. 3 adults (110lb, 110lb, 180lb) 2 kids (12 and 7) and a 10lb pit puppy. full front ballast, 1/4" full left and right. Trim tab at 15% down.
Attached Images

Old     (bennn)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-28-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
looks like that pup had a nice effecet on the wake
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-28-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
yeah, its garbage without him....total wash out....haha - now if I get the driver to straighten out, he was training this day.
Old    alanp            06-28-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
thanks fred. im planning on demoing one in about 2 weeks.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-29-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
alan, I suggest the same settings to get warmed up to it. The 2009's like alot of front ballast. Don't go balls to wall from the get go, you may just get p.o.'d till you get dialed in. A common mistake I have seen is to fill all the tanks to the max, load to max capicity for people and then say they can't get rid of the wash. Have fun on the demo, I think you will like it!
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmoomba View Post
alan, I suggest the same settings to get warmed up to it. The 2009's like alot of front ballast. Don't go balls to wall from the get go, you may just get p.o.'d till you get dialed in. A common mistake I have seen is to fill all the tanks to the max, load to max capicity for people and then say they can't get rid of the wash. Have fun on the demo, I think you will like it!
Ah those were the days, or discovery days as I like to call them. We figured out quite a bit in those first 4 months eh? Didnt take us long to figure out we didnt need everything full.
Old    alanp            06-29-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
yeah i dont anticipate ever needing to fill the ballast all the way for my riding style. thanks for the info.
Old    ScottRobinson            06-29-2010, 7:48 PM Reply   
Hey Fred, trying to clean my wake up a bit. With just 3 people in the boat the drivers side seems much better than the other. I am not running any water in it as of yet, partly cuz my skills are not up to par yet. But want a cleaner wake. Saw you said these boats needs some front. So starting point. Run maybe 1/4 front no port and starboard?

Just need a jumping off point. Then can someone help with if the passenger side needs some cleaning where do I add water and vice versa???

Thanks

Oh and what should the trim plate be set at. I have been at 100%....I am sure that isn't correct...lol

Last edited by ScottRobinson; 06-29-2010 at 7:49 PM. Reason: forgot
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-29-2010, 8:23 PM Reply   
If you got one side washing out, you need weight on that side. Say your port side is washing out, move bodies or ballast to the port side.
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
If you got one side washing out, you need weight on that side. Say your port side is washing out, move bodies or ballast to the port side.
For the most part thats true, but not always. Fred and I had been plagued with a wash on his port side (passenger) no matter what we did or tried it wouldn't clean up. Long story short the dual rudder set-up was to blame, The starboard rudder was dead nuts straight but the port was turned just enough to cause a wash. We centered them and made sure both were dead straight and problem solved. You could do 1/4 and start emptying til it cleans up or vice versa. Good luck.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-29-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
Does the dual rudder help with steering, handling, etc?
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2010, 9:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
Does the dual rudder help with steering, handling, etc?
I think Epics theory was with 4000# of ballest 2 rudders will help low speed control? i dont really know. Maybe Fred will chime in on why. I have alot of seat time/ride time behind Fred's Epic but I cant tell the difference between his Epic and my Supra, steering wise.
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-29-2010, 10:07 PM Reply   
shane,

how exactly did you align the rudders to help with wash? i've got a fussy 'toeside' wake as well.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-29-2010, 10:38 PM Reply   
Scott-1/4 front and zero in the rears with 75%trim should be a good start for 22mph and 60-70ft rope. If you are washing one side or the nxt, have one of your people move over to the washed out side 6" at a time.

I think my rudder issue was a one off deal considering the history prior me owning her.

Shane, that is the point of dual rudders. Direct drives handle better than a v drive under all conditions. For you to say you see NO difference between your 20' dd and my 23' v is a complimentary testimony, proving that theory. Lol, epic will mail your endorsment check, hold your breath!

Ian-we turned the rudders until at least one was dead straight and then we made the adjustments at the knuckles. I would have to take a look at the newer models to see how. Mine has a long allthread with heims screwed in at each end and bolts running through the Heims to the rudder levers. By screwing the hems in we were able to align the rudders to near exact true.

Honestly when I weight my boat I have a hair more in my pass side rear than my drivers side rear.

I hope this all helped and wasn't too confusing. Basically you have to play with it and be patient. Epics can be insanely sensitive to weight distribution. My 7yr old can wash out my wake if moves from one side to the next somedays. Afterall, the floats are never exact and 2500 lbs is alot of room for error in a float gauge.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-29-2010, 10:41 PM Reply   
2500 lbs in reference to rear tanks only. I can't remember the exact proportions anymore.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-30-2010, 5:09 AM Reply   
Scott,
The way to combat your issue is to fill port side with about 1/5 more weight than the starboard side in the rear. You want the boat to have a definite list to port when you are not moving. The biggest/best wake we have found on my boat is 2/5-1/2 rear port, 1/5 rear starboard and full front. I can't handle the wake that huge though and I usually run 1/2-3/4 front and 1/5-1/4 rear port and empty starboard rear. The wake is still rather large with this setup as well.
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-30-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
we have been running full front, 5/8 port, 3/8 starboard, trim tab at 50% and the wake is phenomenal. last night we were same front and trim tab but with both rears at 5/8 and 4 ppl sitting on the port side and riders were getting BOOTED straight up (in a good way)
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-30-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmoomba View Post
Scott-1/4 front and zero in the rears with 75%trim should be a good start for 22mph and 60-70ft rope. If you are washing one side or the nxt, have one of your people move over to the washed out side 6" at a time.

I think my rudder issue was a one off deal considering the history prior me owning her.

Shane, that is the point of dual rudders. Direct drives handle better than a v drive under all conditions. For you to say you see NO difference between your 20' dd and my 23' v is a complimentary testimony, proving that theory. Lol, epic will mail your endorsment check, hold your breath!

Ian-we turned the rudders until at least one was dead straight and then we made the adjustments at the knuckles. I would have to take a look at the newer models to see how. Mine has a long allthread with heims screwed in at each end and bolts running through the Heims to the rudder levers. By screwing the hems in we were able to align the rudders to near exact true.

Honestly when I weight my boat I have a hair more in my pass side rear than my drivers side rear.

I hope this all helped and wasn't too confusing. Basically you have to play with it and be patient. Epics can be insanely sensitive to weight distribution. My 7yr old can wash out my wake if moves from one side to the next somedays. Afterall, the floats are never exact and 2500 lbs is alot of room for error in a float gauge.
Lol I meant pulling speed not trolling hahaha, but I'll expect you to overnight my check to me asap. Be sure you spell my name right.
Old    ScottRobinson            06-30-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
Thanks guys I am taking notes !!!!