Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    xtremrider            08-09-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
I went to the doctors yesterday and he messed with my knee a bit and told me i have a torn PCL. I figured somthing was wrong because i crashed my Dirt bike pretty bad 2 years ago and my knee has been givin me trouble since. He gave me perscription for CTI brace. He said it will keep my knee from hyper extending.

Anyone try one of these braces?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-10-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
You my friend are the only other person I have read about (on the message boards) who has a torn PCL.

I tore mine two years ago while wakeboarding. My doctor advised me against surgery. He says that surgery can never get the PCL as strong as it was before. Therefore, the risk of invasive surgery is not worth it for such little gain.

He said, however, that if I were to tear my ACL as well then they would attempt to repair my PCL while they were in there.

I wear a Don Joy brace while I ride. With the brace on I have very little problems with my knee. However, my knee does hurt quite a bit afterwards though. Without the PCL to keep everything in place my bones try to rub against each other on each landing. The cartilage is there inbetween the bones to cushion the blow, but with each jump, each, year, the cartilage is slowly wearing away.

My doctor told me that in 15-20 years I will need a knee replacement. I'm sure wakeboarding isn't helping to slow down that process.

I have never worn the CTI brace, but I hear they are very good braces. Unlike the theory about braces becoming a pyschological crutch after ACL repair, you will definitely need a brace for a torn PCL. Without my brace I cannot even jog lightly without the lower part of my leg falling behind my thigh.

It's very painful.I pretty much need my brace for any type of sports activity that requires anything more than walking. It sucks, but that's the price you pay for the sports you love.

Good luck!

- Richard
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-15-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
CTI brace is top dog IMO. Mine is from 1995 and I have it redone so it looks and feels new every year or so. Its the last brace youll ever need.
Old    mia            08-15-2005, 3:17 PM Reply   
i think surgery is needed for the pcl ( or it could be the mcl) one of them heals up fine and the other requires surgery...forgot which one...

have the cti2 brace...really, really nice..
Old    xtremrider            08-15-2005, 4:56 PM Reply   
The PCL doesnt heal, but surgury also is not very succesful, the best you can do is just go through the physical therapy and get a brace.