Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old    parks143dna03            11-07-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
So theres been some complaints about me posting short clips. So heres all of my video called Addiction. It took me about 200 or 300 editing hours to finish.

Equitment:
Sony DCR-TRV19 camera Mini-DV (nothing special)
Video Explosion Deluxe editing program (cheep $80)
Epic Waterproof camera housing (bank $300)
Rich friend with lake house and X30

Heres the order the sectoins would play in if they were played on a DVD player.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12704 Befoer DVD menu (Edited 10th)

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12708 Intro. This is the 2nd section I ever edited.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12712 Showing all the riders (edited 5th).

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12748 My friend Reuben. He was 14 at the time. (edited 6th)

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12753 Joeys part. He didnt like the section because he could have done some better riding, but me and him only went out at the same time once. so I didnt have much footage, so I had to chop up the song in a few places. See if you can hear where its split. (this is the 3rd section I edited, and its my worst).

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12754 Kyles part. He likes his section, but i dont. I think there's too many jumps and not enough intresting shots. I chopped up this song too. The end of Joeys part and the beginning of this part flow togather (Edited 4th).

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12756 My (patrick) section. This is my first season wakeboarding, and I know I suck. but oh well. My friends didnt video tape me very well of often. (Edited 8th)

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12757 Louis. After wakeboarding, we go back to his lake house and some girls put makeup on him. So the next morning i wake him up, and this is his payback.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12758 Louis' section. The best out of all of us. and the best edtied section. Watch how the different shots correspond with the words of the song. (Edited 9th)

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12759 Credits Section. This is my second favorite section. Dont skip this one just cause its credits, its not just rolling thanks. its good. (edited 7th)

I put what order I edited the sections in so you guys and gals can see the progress ive made with my editing skills.

So thats my video. Hope you all like it. please comment as much as you can, even if its criticism. Thanks.

And Theeeeeennnnnn......}
Old    parks143dna03            11-07-2004, 7:25 PM Reply   
And then... this is what my DVD case looks like

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-07-2004, 9:50 PM Reply   
I really liked louis' section, Great job.
Old     (jennifer)      Join Date: May 2002       11-07-2004, 9:53 PM Reply   
Very cool editing job! Impressive! Is this your first video you've ever edited?

It would be much easier to watch if you made into one whole clip! Even 2! Just save it as 20megs so you can upload it. It loses a lot of quality in the big picture, but small screen is still clear.

There was defintaly alot of totally random footage, which is cool just don't get carried away. The make-up thing was funny, but almost a waste of a minute...kind of irrelevant in the long run.

There was no song for your part, and the first 20 seconds of so was just black screen...(?)

Also a lot of repeated footage...which I'm not big on...but thats just me. Each to his/her own.

Credits were pretty long, but it is cool seeing stuff outside of riding, lifestyle stuff, as long as you don't get carried away.

Louis's song was pretty different from the rest...

Like I said though, each to his own. Everyone has a different style of making vids. It would be lame if we all made them the same!

The Matrix thing was really cool even through you poached it!

The intro was sick! The program you used looks pretty sweet. I make vids but can't wait to upgrade to a real program (not just windows movie), a computer that can handle it, and a new camera.

I was very impressed with how well you edited to the song! That is probably one of the best 'editing to the song' jobs I've seen. Cover is cool too...pretty funny, cigarrette box and 'Addiction' lol. Overall, impressive, your time and effort defintaly show!

Are you actually going to make it into a DVD and make the box?

Also just curious...What did the other film makers (lechtworth, do to make the credits? (how did they help out)?

::J*Rock::420Empire.com::

Old    parks143dna03            11-07-2004, 11:22 PM Reply   
Sorry about the black screen and no sound, I'll fix it

what do you mean repeated footage? same trick? cause there was only one shot that was repeated, and it was flipped. and it was an accident.

The program was cheep. 80 bucks. it has more features then windows movie. but after about 30 hours of editing, i reached its limits. There was things that i wanted to do but couldnt. like reversing footage. There was some reversed, but i cut each frame and rearanged them. painstaking work. And slow motion and fast motion and timing it all could of been easer. I now use Premire pro and after effects. those programs are so complicated.

i feel the 'randome' footage is importand especially for riding that isnt that great, becasue just watching jump after jump can get boring. Like in the welcome video there was a brake between each section where the pros messin around (like when chad sharp locked danny harf in a port-a-potty and he was pounding on the door).

I did make a dvd with a menu and everything, and i made about 30 DVD cases too and i gave them out to friends and family, and sent some to some schools and pro film makers like Ron S, joey meddock, josh letchworth, chace heavener and justin stephans. But i never got to sent one to justin. and ther rest of the guys didnt really say anything.

And i put them in my credits to give them credit for being an insperation.

I'll post my section with the sound in a bit. I also have a crash section and skateboard section of u guys want to check that out.

thanks for the feedback
Old    parks143dna03            11-08-2004, 12:38 AM Reply   
heres my section. It was posted with no sound. I fixed it and here is the one with sound.
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12784
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-08-2004, 3:24 PM Reply   
Speaking of spelling... Is your name "Pareick" or "Patrick" ?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-08-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   

The song you used in "Showing all the riders" was the song used in Shawn Murrays 2cnd section in All or Nothing.

Bad move in my opinion.
Old     (ufobw)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-08-2004, 4:56 PM Reply   
Overall it was entertaining to some degree. Jennifer summed it up well. I've seen her work on 420 and it's really good! So take her advice on all the technical stuff. I don't smoke... but interesting use of the Marlboro logo. With all the "borrowed" material maybe a title of "Second Hand" would be more fitting?

Is Letchworth making movies these days? I thought he was a photographer? In terms of sending your work to the top guys I think it's a good idea.. I just hope you spelled their names right (chace vs. Chase, Sharp vs. Sharpe, etc..)

Old    parks143dna03            11-08-2004, 5:38 PM Reply   
Fu, yes my name is Patrick, it was a typo.

j-rod, sorry

ufobw, ya, letchworth takes pictures. but so do i, and his work is the best.

aside from my spelling errors, how about the video?
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12761 heres a crash section. the footage is really old. (i wonder how many complants i get from using footage i didnt take)

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12763 heres a skateboard part just for kicks
Old    parks143dna03            11-10-2004, 10:26 AM Reply   
Hey UFOBW, I was watching pre pop yesterday and Chase himself spelled chads name wrong in the title where it says all the riders name. He spelled it 'Sharp'. Then in his section he spells it 'Sharpe'. so typos do happen.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-10-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
typos happen because proofreading doesnt. have some pride in your work and proofread your sht.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-10-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
scott a, don't you know? since chase had a typo, it's now okay to have typos in videos!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-10-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
Honestly some of the best video editting I've seen done by a non-professional. I thought it was very creative and well done. Not to bag you guys, but if there was some quality riding in there you would really have something. Don't get discouraged by any of the other guys and keep making videos. Shoot me a e-mail if you are interested in working with some riders on a team video for my company.

Scotty don't be a dik, just cuz you aren't the only decent photographer around. He, he

Peace,
Evan
ciewakeboarding.com
evan@ciewakeboarding.com
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-10-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
wtf?

quote:

Scotty don't be a dik, just cuz you aren't the only decent photographer around. He, he

i think you need to read all the posts (from both scott and paerick, this thread and others) before you go off on anyone. hell, paerick even insulted one of the coolest guys in here, not to mention one of the best film editors around.

(Message edited by dakid on November 10, 2004)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-10-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
my bad. oh well, evan's right anyway. i just didn't think he should have made it public for those that don't know you.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-10-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
easy there joe. i think evan miiiiight have been joking.

evan- ohhh you know me. im not even close to being a dick. yet.

also if there was better riding you wouldnt need (or want) that type of editing because it might be a bit intrusive. look at underestimated. i loved the editing in that movie, but some people really dont. if you have good riders you might wanna keep the editing more subtle so you dont take away from their talent. that might be why you dont see much of this type of editing in pro videos. thats just my opinion, of course, and i could be wrong.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-10-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
True Scotty... I think the kids doing a good job, though. It looked like a pretty well made video that'd be entertaining to watch with some really good riding. There are a lot of good videos floating around on WW, but I thought he did a really good job for a first timer.

Joe......Don't get me started . I was definitely kidding.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-10-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   

quote:

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 2:50 pm:

my bad.

Old    parks143dna03            11-10-2004, 3:55 PM Reply   
I do agree with you scott, fast editing can take away from the tallent of the riding. but theres not that much talent in my video, so i guess u could say i was making them look better with the style of the editing. I can bet that Chase doesnt like fast editing either, he never uses any slow motion. But in Justin's video relentless, the fast editing is all over the place but i dont think the editing takes away from the talent at all. thats my opinion.

Joe Umali, Who did I insulte? If your talking about me calling the Kung Fu guy my apprentice, I didnt even see his videos yet, and i know he has better videos them me, and better talent to film. and what do u mean i shouldn't have made "it" public for those who dont know me? I put it on here like everyong else for sigestions and comments, not for people to spell check my posts.
so if people would tell me what they think it would be appreciated.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-10-2004, 3:59 PM Reply   
i don't care what you thought of his vids, but when you called him an apprentice, that's an insult.

as for the public comment, it wasn't directed to you at all. chill.

as for over-editing, there's no better example of that than the hyperlite team video, "welcome". it's a shame that the editing annoyed me enough to not want to get the vid. i like the riding of harf, murray, parks, byerly, grubb, etc. but the editing sucked so bad, i thought i'd wait for another vid that included the said riders.
Old     (cwbrider14)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-10-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
I thought it was a good video. But it didn't seem to be that cohesive. I like a video that has a general theme or idea behind it. The way yours is layed out a lot of the filler is really random. That and how you integrate from one rider to another is a bit rough.

The movie theme was cool though. Maybe you could intro each rider with a clip from a good movie... and somehow work the filler into that movie theme.

But thats just me trying to make order out of chaos...

As a whole though I think you did a good job and I applaud your effort. Its definitely a skill that few master.
Old    parks143dna03            11-10-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
reguarding the insult: My bad

as for 'welcome' I loved the editing. it made me want to watch it over and over, and i did. and for those slow edited videos like running with scissors, I only watched it once. btu dont worry, i respest you opinion on the} type of editing you like.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-10-2004, 4:20 PM Reply   
cool. our conflicting opinions is what makes us individuals and lets us express them in our own way. beats copying, right?
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-10-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
patrick what exactly do you mean by fast editing? and can you please proofread your posts and fix your spelling mistakes from now on so others dont have to read your posts twice to understand what you mean? thanks in advance.

as for joe's post at 2:50, i actually posted something at 2:49, then deleted it and reposted it at 2:57, so that may have thrown some people off. in the time that it took me to delete my post, joe must have read it and started to type a response when i decided to delete my post, so that kinda made things get out of order. kinda confusing, actually.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-11-2004, 2:47 PM Reply   
Fellow supporters of the Fu - Thanks for having my back! karate chop!

"Why can't we all just get along...?"

Old    jakeman            11-11-2004, 3:11 PM Reply   
Pat
what is up bro?
great video! Angi and I watched it a couple of times. I also liked all the effects that software bundle gave you for $80. The only thing I would do is give music and movie credtis at the end. Keep up the hard work
late/jake
Old    parks143dna03            11-11-2004, 10:07 PM Reply   
joe and scott - I dont know what you guys have against me.

Jakeman - thanks, but who is Angi, I actually did make music credits, but i cut them out when i renderend it for the internet. so that the file would be smaller.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-12-2004, 6:54 AM Reply   
pareick, i don't know what you're being defensive about.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-12-2004, 7:02 AM Reply   
Angi is Angi Simpson of 420Empire fame. She and Jake make great videos.

Eric
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-12-2004, 11:11 AM Reply   
haha wtf?

alright well i typed this once already, but a number of posts were deleted monday nite, so i'll retype it...

in one of my posts i discussed why pro editors might not edit in the same way that patrick did. then i mentioned that i really like the editing in underestimated, which is actually edited similarly to patrick's vid. im not ripping on him in the least bit.

and then i asked what "fast editing" is.
and then i managed to piss off jennifer who decided that i was a "d!ck" for voicing my opinions on the internet. why she decided to replace the "i" with an exclamation mark is beyond me.
and then i give patrick the impression that i have something against him.

and theeeeeeeeen??
Old     (jennifer)      Join Date: May 2002       11-12-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
Scott A - To keep to short and sweet; You have to have respect to get respect.

Why my post get deleted before several of yours, I will never understand, and is also why I don't hang around here much.

BTW - there is a bigger picture than spelling...What are you an english or film major?

Thanks UFOBW.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-12-2004, 4:28 PM Reply   
so you dont understand why your post got deleted? well thats too bad. sooner or later youll realize that calling others names isnt appropriate.

im not asking for respect, nor have i ever. there are people that like the fact that i dont sugar coat my opinions, and there are people that dont. thats life. move on.

and about spelling, its the only means for communication on the internet. if you cant spell, everyone will have to read your posts twice or three times just to get an idea of what you might be trying to say. would you rather read a post once or three times? oh hell, why am i trying to explain this to someone who couldnt figure out why their post got deleted? this post will probably be deleted in the next 20 mins anyways.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-12-2004, 4:31 PM Reply   
now you've done it. "gloria allred" and the rest of her team is gonna come after you!
Old     (jennifer)      Join Date: May 2002       11-12-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
Scott A. it was long awaited and well deserved.

If you can't figure out how to read the post the first time because someone accidently added one wrong letter....skip it. Better yet go back to school.

My post didn't get deleted for spelling errors. It was deleted because you couldn't handle the truth.

Joe - I don't think I will ever catch on to your sense of humor...Better yet, who 'Gloria Allred' is. lol.

(Message edited by jennifer on November 12, 2004)
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-12-2004, 5:15 PM Reply   
As an aside I don't enjoy Welcome either. Mostly for the following reasons:
There is very few from the boat shots.
The editing is very arty but doesn't flow, it gives it a feel like an advert rather than a rider showcase.
Most of the riding looks like they are going small, everybody seems to lack pop, not sure if its the X-star wake, shallow lake or just the camera angles they have used.
Parks section is a joke as usual, rips on sliders for sure but lands only one wake trick in his whole section (Tootsie roll I think). More and more he looks like a hucker. I miss the old Parks from 12 Honkeys etc.
Overall after watching it I don't feel all pumped up and ready to ride.

I like Relentless much more.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-12-2004, 5:43 PM Reply   
jennifer says: My post didn't get deleted for spelling errors. It was deleted because you couldn't handle the truth.
who said anything about spelling errors? and i can handle the truth just fine. people dont like me. im over it. moderators generally dont approve of name calling, thats all.

btw your little school comment gave me a nice laugh. hows high school treatin ya?
Old    gw_mark            11-12-2004, 7:43 PM Reply   
Hey Scotta, you are a grown up now, check your spelling errors before you post please. Gees all that money on school wasted!
Old    parks143dna03            11-12-2004, 8:30 PM Reply   
this spelling thing has gotten out of hand

Darren - I wouldnt call parks section a joke. The music is different, but not a joke. And he wasnt doing much big air stuff because he had 2 cracked ribs, or maybe it was one. They showed him hurt lifting up his shirt feeling his ribs. I still think welcome is one of the best videos.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-12-2004, 9:52 PM Reply   
Pareick, Spelling something wrong on accident is just fine. When it happens a couple times in every post it just really gets annoying.
Old     (sacdeep)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-12-2004, 11:17 PM Reply   
Scotta I though you flunk outta school and living on the streets of Berkley. As for my opinion of Scotta I'll keep that to myself dont want to upset anyone