Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-10-2010, 6:31 PM Reply   
The Speaker of the house Elect says "I will fly commercial "

Im starting to like this guy more and more.

http://washingtonscene.thehill.com/i...jet-trips-home

Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio), the presumptive Speaker-elect of the House, will not use a private jet as Speaker for trips back and forth to his home district, he said Wednesday.

“Over the last 20 years, I have flown back and forth to my district on commercial aircraft, and I’m going to continue to do that,” Boehner told reporters at a press conference.

The statement signals the first time since 2001 that a House Speaker has traveled commerically between Washington and their home district.

Following the terrorist attacks of 9/11, the Speaker of the House, third in line to the presidency, was assigned a designated Air Force jet to shuttle them back and forth to their home districts on weekends.

Former Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) used the jet, as does Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

A spokesman for Boehner said the Minority Leader had already spoken to security officials about his desire to travel commercially on the weekends, and that he would still use military transport for certain types of trips, like those to Afghanistan or Iraq.

Boehner is widely expected to be voted Speaker by his Republican colleagues when they meet next week.
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       11-10-2010, 9:06 PM Reply   
Ya but will he still use the tanning booths to get that uumpa loompa tan, what a trooper!

Last edited by magicr; 11-10-2010 at 9:10 PM.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-11-2010, 12:45 AM Reply   
Yeahh Pelosi...Oh wait
Old    bigdtx            11-11-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
Let me make a token gesture that means nothing while shilling for giant corporations - specifically big tobacco - that put millions of dollars in my pocket. Plus I'll try to kill the health insurance plan that would cover smokers so my big insurance buddies don't have to worry about them. Good thing I'm a congressman so if my 2 pack a day habit catches up to me I'll have guaranteed health coverage. Yeah... This guy is a real winner.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-11-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
Big D: Token Gesture? Humm I guess it depends on what you think a token is. If my dads math is correct the Diffrence of about $108 thousand dollars PER trip.
I know that might not be a large amount as far as how much money we are in the hole but IMO its a step in the right direction. I have no Idea about the statment's you made above. Im sure he is not a Knight in Shining Armor, If the Guy wants to smoke 2 packs a day That's great, Dosent Obama smoke as well. Mabey they can kick back and have a smoke together and work out the country's problems

This was my dad's reply to my e-mail below,

OK do the math.

Pelosi used a 757 as her personal transport to and from DC to the Bay Area, generally each week and a 757 was reported to cost about $6K per flight hour. So DC to SF is about a 4.5 hrs flight then once she gets here, the plane goes back to DC, another 4.5 hrs. Monday it returns to pick her up and fly her back to DC another 9 hours for the round trip. So the weekend trip was 18 hrs at $6K per hour, that adds up to $108K by my math.

A First Class round trip from DC to SFO is $6,724 on United. Quite a difference there. Mind you as Speaker of the House and 3rd in line for the Presidnecy (by sucession) I think that the Secret Service would want to have a bit more security than a commercial airline. Mind you it seems to be OK if you are I are killed on a commercial plane but not some politician.

Having said that Nancy's justification for using a 757 was that she wanted an aircraft that could fly non stop, which OK for security reasons again that is fine. DC to SF is about 3000 nautical only a G5, a Challenger 601 or a Falcon could do that, no stop no other "name brand; Business Jets could go non-stop. Hell a G5 can just about make SFO to Sydney non stop and they run about half the cost per hour to run, not even thinking about the G5 purchase cost of $40 million against a 757 at about $140 million.
Old    bigdtx            11-11-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
I'm not saying Pelosi was better or worse. I'm saying Boehner is a fraud. He flies commercial while getting rich off lobbyist money and acting like he's "Mr Smith Goes to Washington". The guy is the poster child for lobbyist payola.
Old    deltahoosier            11-11-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
Not sure he acted like anything. If you think that politicians don't get kick backs then you are fulling yourself. We always hear people complaining about politicians but yet you constantly want them to have greater control over your life.

I do love it. We are heading back to the ol game of can't fault the guy so the personal attacks start. What does a tanning booth have to do with anything and why is it not a big deal that Obama smokes but is with this guy?

I guess soon enough we will be back to the (name the republican) is a poo poo head arguments. Kind of like we heard everyday that Bush is stupid or a chimp or let 911 happen on purpose or he was in with bin laden on all this, yada, yada, yada.
Old    SamIngram            11-11-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtx View Post
I'm not saying Pelosi was better or worse. I'm saying Boehner is a fraud. He flies commercial while getting rich off lobbyist money and acting like he's "Mr Smith Goes to Washington". The guy is the poster child for lobbyist payola.
This pisses me off! If you don't like the candidates or representatives then run yourself, at the very least become a Precinct Committeeman and actually have a say what goes on...

It is very easy to judge/condemn candidates or representatives, but it takes a lot more work to actually do their jobs...

Become a Precinct Committeeman, it doesn't take much time and you actually get to vote what happens in the party. A Precinct Committeeman ELECTS their party hierarchy of officers. Registered voters of each party DO NOT elect their party officers. ONLY PRECINCT COMMITTEMAN ELECT THEIR PARTY OFFICERS. Don’t like the direction your political party is going? Guess who the only person that can change it is? The PRECINCT COMMITTEMAN!
Old    bigdtx            11-11-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
"We always hear people complaining about politicians but yet you constantly want them to have greater control over your life." - Not me.
I'd be happy with pre 1920s level of government on some level - no income taxes, etc. But gov't has done a lot of good like child labor laws, 40 hr work week, etc. So it's not all or nothing on either side.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-11-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
Please refer to her as SENATOR Pelosi !