Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-19-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
Just wondering if there is anyone who has dialed in the surf wave on both sides of this boat with some restrictions. All ballast is hidden and no lead in the boat.

If you could please post up some video and pictures and some information on weight and speed I would greatly appreciate it.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-19-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
I don't claim to have it "dialed," and my camera battery died yesterday, but I will say this -- at least for the goofy side, the wake gets better with stock ballast only if you fill the non-surf side a bit. Seems counterintuitive, but it's certainly true. We were messing around yesterday and my 12 year old was challenging me to go faster. We got up to 13.8 before he couldn't keep up and he was easily riding a really long wave at 13.5. Again stock ballast only and under 400lbs of human weight on the surf side. We had surf side full and non-surf side at about 1/3.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-19-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
That opposite side weight idea does not sound counterintuitive at all. With my Enzo we have about 350# under the starboard seat behind the driver and it seems to really add some power to the wave.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-19-2011, 3:50 PM Reply   
I have found extra weight only beneficial if you have enough regular weight.
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-19-2011, 4:44 PM Reply   
I also don't claim to have it dialed since we haven't sacked out the goofy side yet.

Given that, here are some pics of the goofy side. Stock tank filled in 60 seconds, 425ish lbs of people, about 12 mph (higher than usual since we were matching the "lead" boat's speed.

Regular side:

• Both stock ballast tanks full.
  • 750 sac in rear locker
  • 350 sack under seats
  • 650 V sac hidden in bow.
  • 200lb dude in bow
  • 2 chicks, 225ish lbs in main cabin
  • I dude in corner, 230 lbs
  • Driver 175 lbs
  • Ice chest half full, 7.965 lbs
  • 11 mph

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-19-2011, 4:52 PM Reply   
Do you have to add a slight turn when wakesurfing or can you ride in a straight line?
How does the wave look without the bow sac?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-19-2011, 5:02 PM Reply   
on just stock ballast, turning into the wave has the opposite effect that it had in my 05 malibu vride. In the vride it would make it taller and shorter. In the MB it stretches it out and makes it flatter. Turning against the wave will steepen and shorten. We surf stock ballast driving straight.
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-19-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Do you have to add a slight turn when wakesurfing or can you ride in a straight line?
How does the wave look without the bow sac?
I drive in a straight line, unless the shore/boats/wildlife/small children are in front of us.

All of the goofy pics above have no bow sac.

Here is a picture of the regular side with no sacks, just standard ballast on the port side and 3 adults + 3 kids on that side, plus driver. The cooler was also empty.

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-19-2011, 5:08 PM Reply   
Hows it look when you go faster? The pocket looks short. Any non surfer pics?
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-19-2011, 5:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
Hows it look when you go faster? The pocket looks short. Any non surfer pics?
Which pocket looks short? I don't have many pics of the regular side without sacks.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-19-2011, 6:47 PM Reply   
All of the pictures the pocket looks short to me. Got any pictures going like 11.5-12.5?
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-19-2011, 6:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
All of the pictures the pocket looks short to me. Got any pictures going like 11.5-12.5?
We surf 10.7-11 so I don't have pictures of it at higher speeds (except the first few above of the goofy side at 12ish).

I don't think the pocket is short but as always, YMMV.

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-19-2011, 7:05 PM Reply   
The video makes it look way better then the pictures. Sometimes pictures can be deceiving to me. Good looking wave, I bet it's a ton of fun.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-19-2011, 7:06 PM Reply   
What are the dimensions of the locker and the under seat area?
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-19-2011, 7:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
What are the dimensions of the locker and the under seat area?
The "Enzo style" custom sack that I'll be getting this Winter for the regular side will be 29x21x48 (rear locker portion) and 93x11x20 (dong portion).

That works out to be 1790 pounds if filled to capacity.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-19-2011, 7:23 PM Reply   
Nice. That should result in a greater wave. Where did you put the ballast intakes?
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-19-2011, 7:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Nice. That should result in a greater wave. Where did you put the ballast intakes?
A single 1 1/2" thru hul handles the intake/drain duties for two Jabsco Ballast Puppies.

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-20-2011, 7:07 AM Reply   
Thanks for all of the pictures and info Shorpy. That wave looks great on both sides. What engine and prop do you have?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-20-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorpy View Post
I also don't claim to have it dialed since we haven't sacked out the goofy side yet.
  • Both stock ballast tanks full.
  • 750 sac in rear locker
  • 350 sack under seats
  • 650 V sac hidden in bow.
  • 200lb dude in bow
  • 2 chicks, 225ish lbs in main cabin
  • I dude in corner, 230 lbs
  • Driver 175 lbs
  • Ice chest half full, 7.965 lbs
  • 11 mph
How much weight is in the stock ballast? It's another 500lbs or so isn't it? That's quite a bit of weight you are running! You're close to 3,000 lbs depending on how much that factory tank is!

Nice clean wave too! I love how clean MB's wakes are!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-20-2011, 11:36 AM Reply   
Just realized shorpy is cipher!
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-20-2011, 3:05 PM Reply   
Shorpy,

wave looks amazing... did you do the install of the after market stuff? if not who?

sweet how you weighed your ice chest...

thanks
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-20-2011, 7:10 PM Reply   
JS (dreamer) the stock ballast is 2300 lbs.

(newwhit) I've had the sacks for years and bought the rest from Wakemakers.com and did the install myself.
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-20-2011, 7:33 PM Reply   
JS (dreamer) stock prop 13.5 x 17.5, 375hp Zr6
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-21-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
Wow! You run over 4000#'s of water ballast. I am surprised that you can hold your speed with a 17.5" pitched prop. Your engine must have a strong torque curve. What does your port wave look like if you just fill the stock side factory tank and add 750-1000#'s in the locker?
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-21-2011, 7:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
What does your port wave look like if you just fill the stock side factory tank and add 750-1000#'s in the locker?
I don't know as we haven't run that setup. Based upon my experience I would imagine the wake would be steeper with a shorter pocket (basic weighting consequences).
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-03-2011, 9:01 PM Reply   
I am looking at the b52 23 wb. What year is your boat. Do u need all the extra bags to make a surf wake? How is the wake board wake and ski wake. Looking for all around boat and not sure I want to spend80k for a Malibu We boat on shaver lake and pine flat so a far amount of chop how does it handle that.? Thanks for any help u could give me
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-04-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
I have an '11. It does much much better in chop than my 06 vride did. Like night and day better. I can go 25+ in places that I'd be pounding at 18 in the vride.

The boat is totally surfable with factory ballast only. The wakeboard wake is ginormous. One downside to the wakeboard wake -- it takes some speed to clean up. I've not gotten it totally clean below 20mph. I don't ski, but I'd assume the ski wake is bad.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-04-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
i always loved the B-52! I been thinking of getting a pre-owned one. What is a good year to look at?
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-04-2011, 7:08 PM Reply   
I have an 06 Team 23, has the 5hundo in the font and the two 1000 in the back. Shorpy is a pretty gourd source, because he has owned both, b52Team and a TWB and can give you good insight to each boat. He def heleped me dial in my wake on my 06 *by adding more weight to the SB side, not full but 50%, and removing my left turn theory.

-I have now upgraded to a piggy back on my port side, with 760ish in the port locker(due to custom sub enclosure taking up space), and I just roll with people (6 usually)1200 lbs or so to move about the cabin. Wake is sick. If no peeps, I just put a 400 on the port seat.
- I am still dialing in my go pro, to get those perfect pics!

-But I would have to def give props to the b52 in general, great boats, awsome for surfing with it's short swim deck....kinda slow ballast pumps (older models of course) I have the old SCC(I have a Johnson Ultra Pump on the port side).

I also have a pretty cool oakey style fresh air exhaust system that has been splendid ($40). But people seem to get a lot of guff on here when they make their own, but I used to own FAE on my Centurion Falcon, and as being a jeep owner...fabrication is key. So if any B52 owners would like pics or how to on the Oakie FAE let me know and I can let you know what I did...works perfectly