Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (briankl)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-09-2011, 6:54 AM Reply   
Just purchased a lake home in a 400 acre lake in northern wisconsin. 2 young girls (6 and 9) - I am looking for THE right boat to accommodate:

- taking the girls tubing and teaching them to ski
- I barefoot and slalom and want to teach them same
- Would like to add a barefoot boom
- Entertaining friends and family for tubing and skiing

We do some casual fishing as well and would prefer not to buy a separate boat to fish out of....

Suggestions/ REcommendations????
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-09-2011, 7:28 AM Reply   
Not knowing your budget makes it pretty difficult to make a recommendation but if you like to slalom and foot and need and all around Watersports boat I would consider a MasterCraft X14V. Great boat for skiing and if you start to wakeboard it works well too.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-09-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
^^^ What he said... X14V came to my mind as well as I read your post.

It's really an amazing boat, and nobody else makes anything quite like it: a world class ski boat with the engine moved to the rear.

Check out these vids:

http://youtu.be/heH8DXifcsE?hd=1

Some say the layout is odd... they pushed the engine forward a bit to help the ski-wake. But Shane doesn't seem to mind.

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2011, 8:06 AM Reply   
A list of boats I would look at if we are talking about a new boat

Vdrive
Nautique 211
That new nautique 200 vdrive
Mastercraft X14v(do they even make this boat still?)
VTX with diamond hull

Direct drive
X7/197
X14/214
nautique 200 open bow
Malibu response LXI
Malibu FX(direct drive version of VTX, not sure if they still make it)
Moomba outback

If talking used here are some options

If direct drive a Sunsetter LXi would be at the top of my list
Response LXi
Sunsetter VLX with diamond hull
197/x7
209/x9(I haven't ever heard anything good about the ski wake on this boat though)
214/X14
Nautique 206
Nautique 216
Moomba Outback

I am sure I left out a few options but it give you an idea.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-09-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
Hi Brian, welcome to WakeWorld. Your interests are mostly ski related so look at the weight of the boat you're going to get. Lighter is better for ski and barefoot. A D-drive pulls a skier better but the V-drives give more central space for entertaining and can still pull a skier or barefooter well. You are on a small lake so the rough water ride is not very important, relatively speaking. A bigger boat has more room for guests family but a smaller boat is lighter. I suggest staying under 22' and taking the time to test drive any boat you are serious about as what you like, or think important, is different from everyone else.
In that I like my Sanger, I think they have about four boats that would suit you well and you should add that to what will be a long list of 'perfect' boats.
Good Luck.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2011, 1:37 PM Reply   
price wise, since you never said anything about wakeboarding, Moomba Outback LSV, its more of a ski boat but has the wrap around seating, also agree w/ the mastercraft and i heard there is a malibu wakesetter w/ diamond hull that is a great all around boat