Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (npcain1)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-02-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
Looking at replacing my stock system with either MB Quart NKA 116 or Polk MOMO 650 Coaxil's. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on either?

Also I am replacing six speakers in total will i need 2 amps (1-4 channel, 1-2 channel) to drive all six or can they be driven by one amp?

I am pretty green with this stuff so I apologize for the basic questions.
Old     (riothepimp)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-02-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
By far MB-Quart is the better speaker but the talk is the German plant is no longer manufacturing the speakers they have closed the plant, and only scraps will arrive in the US, so go with Polk.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-02-2005, 8:36 AM Reply   
I would go with the MB's. I have 4 "reference" MB's in my boat, not the marine. I hear the marine are VERY nice. I would pick that over the Polk's, IMO.
Old     (timber)      Join Date: May 2004       06-02-2005, 8:42 AM Reply   
I have the Polk MOMO's in my boat and they scream. They are the component set, not the co-axels.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-02-2005, 9:28 AM Reply   
Noel,

If you wait a few days, I'll tell you how the Polk DB 650's sound, I'm putting 4 of them in my boat next week. They can be found for a good deal on ebay - I think much less expensive than the MB Quarts. I suspect the MB Quarts are a little better, but you probably have to pay more.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-02-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
I'm with Brian,I got some MOMO in my boat with PPI4125 pushing them and they are one of the loudest,nicest sounding components speakers I heard.Like Brian said....They scream!

But they are 6500 not the 650.one is co-axel which are less RMS and 6500 are components which are much higher RMS and the speaker grills look better in my opinion!
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-02-2005, 9:48 AM Reply   
I was a die hard MB Quart guy until I talked with a factory rep at CES. Rockford bought out MB Quart last year and opened a factory in China to make the MB Quarts sold in the US. They had quality trouble so are giving the factory back to MB Quart. In the end MB Quart is going to use the china factory to supply the speakers for the US, you can get some made from the factory in Germany but you have to buy them from Europe. I don't know where the Polks are being made so I can't comment on that. I personally switched to Cantons, which I like even better than the Quarts. If you can demo the speakers at stereo shops and push them hard. Then make your decision
Old     (npcain1)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-02-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
Talltigeguy - let me know how they sound, did you get yours for around $90/pair? I have seen them on ebay around that.
Old     (riothepimp)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-02-2005, 7:00 PM Reply   
Jason you stand corrected, I was the biggest MBQuart dealer for a year or so I know the German plant is closed, I myself was an MBQ die hard, until Rockford bought them and took the brand to sheet
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-02-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
Noel,

These are what I bought, the coaxial. I've not actually seen the components. We'll see how they do. They must be better than stock clarions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18799&item=5778758 948&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-02-2005, 10:52 PM Reply   
Jason,
Which Cantons are you running? I stumbled across those one day and I really liked the sound in the demo room, but the price was $350/pr. I am looking to upgrade from the MBQ's i have now. (3 of 10 are blown or defective)
Old    obsurfer            06-02-2005, 11:26 PM Reply   
I blew my mb quarts also. Have you heard those Diamond speakers. They have a good rating. Hey if you have the cans you can go to www.crutchfield.com and use my code and we well both save twenty bucks! pzekx-wfhe2-kqp2a
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-03-2005, 5:20 AM Reply   
Troy,
I am running the RS 160CX which are the 6.5" coaxials. They blow alot of seperates away. I think they are $250 retail.
Steve, Diamond speakers are great as well! I was actully thinking about using Diamonds until Canton brought car audio speakers back. THe fronts in my car are a combo of MBQ Q's and Diamond Hex's
Old    obsurfer            06-03-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
I should add that Boss fixed my speakers no problem! Even told them that I had over powered them.