Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-01-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
My son just started wakeboarding. He is 8 and weighs about 65 pounds. The problem is when he falls and ends up belly down he cannot flip back over. He has a CWB Surge 125. He has tried rolling over and trying to force the board under him with no avail. I thank it is pretty funny because he has no problems with any other sports, but he cant do a simple thing like flip over. I get a good laugh out of this but he doesnt think it is so funny. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions so I dont have to drive next to him and flip him over every other time. I sure this sounds stupid but it is driving him nuts.
Old    awsnow            06-01-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
Give him the rope and tug on him while he is trying to twist. Sometimes it works.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-01-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
He just needs to build some more strength, in wakeboarding u use alot of muscles that dont get used that often even being active in other sports I see it all the time.
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-01-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
I think it is just technique, a lot of people have problems with this in the beginning. I used to get so pissed sitting in the boat waiting while my girlfriend would flail around trying to flip over. Finally she just learned the technique and now flips over like a champ. i don't really know how to help describe what to do, but if he keeps trying, he will eventually get it down.
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-01-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
That is always one of the funniest things about teaching someone to wakeboard. Everyone struggles at first. Just tell him to keep trying and lead with the upper body. Good luck and enjoy.
Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-01-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
If you try to pre-load your legs by swinging them the opposite direction slightly then swinging back the intended direction I think that helps, that way you have more momentum when you try to roll the board over.

Hope this helps.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-01-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
Put the board on him near shore in shallow water. Stand with him and put him on his belly. Then help him find the proper technique. He's probbly trying to lift the board out of the water, he should try sinking one side and lifting the other as he twists.

He'll get it!
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-01-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
Straight legs.....I've seen kids try to flip the board with their knees and waist bent. When they straighten out, it seems to be easier with less floundering.
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-01-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
When I teach lessons I always tell them to make a 'pencil' in the water then rotate that way. Also, make sure that the bindings are shoulder width apart. If they are too close to the center then it might be hard to rotate in the water.
Old     (scheersound)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-01-2006, 2:40 PM Reply   
have him look over his shoulder & then twist his hips in the same direction.this is what helped me when i first started. Good Luck

(Message edited by scheersound on June 01, 2006)
Old     (timsown)      Join Date: May 2005       06-01-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
I have little ones too and have seen this problem. Here is what I told my 8 year old that worked well for him. Keep your legs straight, and twist your upper body over first. After their upper body is over, then they will have a better chance of getting the board around. Still takes a little practice, but this gets them headed in the right direction. Once they do it for the first time, then they pick up on the technique pretty quickly.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-01-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
Dont flip it have him bring the board under him and out to the front its alot easier
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-01-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
Get him something he can control, my 8yr old went from 119 to the new 109 HL Motive and helped out a bunch and he has been riding for 2yrs.

Old     (cool_dude)      Join Date: May 2004       06-01-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
Get him to gradually rock the board untill eventually he can snap his hips (kayak term)and roll the rest of his body, that's what I had to do whenever I was that small. Rock the board back and forth.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-02-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the help we will try it out this weekend at the lake.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-02-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
Have him dive under it, put your head down as far as you can and you will always come up on the other side of it. Although maybe my non floating vest is the only reason this works...

Okay, like all things in wakeboarding, lead with your head as others have said. Good luck have fun.