Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (CRW)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-17-2010, 1:09 AM Reply   
link: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/16/v...ncer-ralliart/
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-17-2010, 6:21 AM Reply   
question is...did they actually jump over the car or is it just an illusion and the car wasnt under the kicker?
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-17-2010, 6:42 AM Reply   
does anybody remember the old wake competition(s) when they built a rail over the toyota truck (at least i think it was a toyota)?
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-17-2010, 6:54 AM Reply   
Nope. the car wasn't under the kicker.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-17-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
I think the rail was over a ford ranger back in the day.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-17-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
^^ The "Ranger Cage" that was used in Vans Triple Crown.....
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-17-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
I only watched half of the video, but I didn't see any pro riders, and I didn't see anyone jump OVER a car. :-)
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-17-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
They should have had Chad Sharpe hit it. That guy could jump a full big rig transport trailer full of Lancers!
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-17-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
Everyone i saw just ate ***** on the landing... pretty lame if you ask me.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-17-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
lamest shiz I have ever seen - really? Thanks for wasting my time.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-17-2010, 4:03 PM Reply   
She really just wants someone to take a different approach at that kicker. Not really sure why they were trying to trick over it right off the bat, but the bails look like a real crowd pleaser.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-17-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
Waste of time.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       09-20-2010, 4:11 AM Reply   
this is rediculous.....so stupid. Where was coverage like this of Alberts' bus jump?
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-20-2010, 5:39 AM Reply   
Has to be the worst wakeboard vid I've ever seen, even I could hit a kicker beside a car and wipe out..... and I suck.

The less said about the kneeboarder the best.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-20-2010, 6:04 AM Reply   
haha. i just watched it again. good humor on a monday morning.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-20-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
i watched the whole video. in the beginning the guy stated the would be jumping over the barge and using the car as a guage . i saw three guys land jumps and some almost land tricks. chad sharpe has nothing to worry about from these guys as well as the rest of the pro wakeboarders i've seen hit kickers.but in these guys defense most of them stated they usually ride behind the boat and don't do kickers. please until you get 8 to 12 feet of air and go 30 plus feet don't hate on these guys for trying to entertain you.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-20-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
I prob couldn't do what they were doing. But look at the title.
"Video: Pro wakeboarders jump floating Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart Sportback"
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-20-2010, 7:03 AM Reply   
matt i realize that. but i think thats the OP'S statement i only heard these guys say they were team riders.hate on the OP all you want .i didn't see him try it.LOL
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-20-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
the OP's title came from the title of the article from the autoblog site.... jus' sayin'
Old     (lhlocal)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-20-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
I have to defend the guys riding. Although the title is a little misleading, the guys who put on this event are some of the biggest supporters of wakeboardering you could ask for. This was the final night of events they put on every wednesday night where you can go and demo new ronix gear and ride behind a sacked out x 45 for what? Free thats right free. They really are good for the sport. The video title may have been overhyped, but that stretch of the river is tossed on a wedneday night mainly due to all the guys with bajas hauling to the chain of lakes. Its not an easy place to ride in the afternoon and then throw in trying to hit a kicker switch. Most of us would probably struggle, so maybe cut a little slack.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-20-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
Im embarrassed
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-20-2010, 10:31 PM Reply   
the best thing about that vid was wondering if the interviewing chick was going to flash the camera..
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-21-2010, 5:50 AM Reply   
Yea I have to defend these guys also. They worked all summer long on Wednesday nights for 4 to 5 hrs pulling kids for free behind MasterCraft boats.
I don’t think you could find anyone across this country that has done more to promote wakeboarding more than these guys have done…..
The clearing of the car might be a little understated but they did put on a show for all the people who came out to see it.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
^^^ agreed, from what I gather these guys have done more for the sport in IL than anyone else. Constantly putting on clinics, demos, events. Was it a bit overhyped, sure... but it got a lot of people out to watch the sport and that is a good thing.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-21-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
I used to ride w/ Tom a fair bit in 08/09 and have seen most of the others ride as well. This vid is unfortunate in that it does not accurately portray their skills. Fact is, these guys would outride 90+ percent of the people on WW. Please don't hate....negativity around here is getting to be a bummer....

I'm guessing these guys are not thrilled with how this vid came out either, they probably didn't have much say in how they were portrayed other than what they said in the interviews.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-21-2010, 6:50 PM Reply   
fair enough, it was obvious the vid was put together by someone with zero knowledge of wakeboarding. I did catch a nice indy glide in the vid.

The "skiing daredevils" quote in the article doesnt help either..
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-21-2010, 6:57 PM Reply   
Yeah, the kneeboarder doesn't help either.... haha
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-23-2010, 5:34 AM Reply   
These guys are promoting our sport in every way they can and people come on here to criticize them. That's lame. I know a few of these guys and the ones I've seen ride have crazy skills, not to mention the fact that they're good people. I would ask those being critical to compare what they do to promote our sport to this crew and every clinic, demo, comp, and event they throw and all the personal time they invest in it. Its very pathetic to see this type of criticism from a forum thats supposed to rep our passion for our sport.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-23-2010, 6:19 AM Reply   
I take back what i said above. At work i cannot listen to the audio because well...someone may catch me screwing off. All i did was fast forward through the video to the guys hitting the kicker. I had no idea that these did anything to promote the sport. The fact that the title was misleading stands but when you take into account what these guys are really about you can appreciate the video. Good work guys and thanks for all that you give to the sport.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-24-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
Maybe the title was put up just to get some hits or whatever but these group of guys are the core guys here that put on pretty much every major grass roots event. They are devoted to the sport and as stated can ride with the best of them. Some sponsored riders, several guys have made an apperance on the pro circuit. Not top name guys, but great riders none the less. Some of these guys qualify for nationals as well. All these guys on top of all that are great guys outside the sport.

These guys are out every Wed night with a minimum of (3) MC boats pulling an average of 100 people a night FOR FREE just to open up the sport to those in the area. Free lessons and demo gear for anyone willing to put a board on. Anybody who knows these guys knows they are not chest bumping, sit on the dock and talk riders. They also give back to the sport immensely. We don't have obstacles around here as the water popo won't allow them so they built the kicker Monday and hit it Wednesday(after all the permits required were taken care of). If you ask me more props to them for even hitting it. It was an event to get some people from the area who may not know what wakeboarding is to come out, get involved, and see the scene and it worked again as usually. Mark does a ton for the sport and his dealership and crew has been involved in every event in the Midwest from the Pro Tour stops to Double Up Del Noche and getting big names in wakeboarding. He will go out of his way for anyone to get them stoked on boarding.

Everything from the video work to the commentators are all locals who are there every Wed night. So my hats off to the Chicago Mastercraft Crew. Was a great event yet again and a great way to close out the Wed night scene. Maybe they will put up some of the straight riding vids. Nick and Tom kill it for sure and Mark just goes big. The guy on the knee board rips as well. He throws mobes and all........different and kind of cool to watch if you ask me.

This is my take from a guy who was actually there and in the boats pulling tsome of these events. For the record car was set up just off from the kicker to make it look good from shore. You can imagine the insurance involved if was in the direct line.

Last edited by xstarrider; 09-24-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old     (lumpy9138)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-24-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
I feel I have to throw in my two cents here.

First the video was shot on the Fox River in northern Illinois. The river had only opened up two days prior due to flooding in the area. None of the riders were able to get in much practice time on the kicker due to this. They also shot this on a section of river that has a couple blind turns right in the area. Great effort was put in to try and warn other boaters on the river what was going on, but it is a public waterway, and they could not just shut down a section of river.

Second, as mentioned earlier, these guys work their asses of to promote the sport. Chicago Mastercraft and Raging Buffalo Wakeboard School pull riders all summer long. I also know all the riders in the video, and can assure you you, every single one of them can throw down. This also includes the kneeboarder in the video. He absolutley kills it on a kneeboard.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-24-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Chris,

Thanks for giving props to Keith over at the school. Completely forgot to throw that out there. The guy is involved so much as well........ from teaching 3yr olds to Outlaw class riders. Not metion he runs one of the best snowboard parks in the area during the winter.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-24-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
2 things I'd like to note about this video:

1. That chick was texting on her iPhone the whole time. Priceless
2. Frankie Panno = The Man
Old     (albertinthewater)      Join Date: Nov 2010       12-31-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
I have to agree, way to much hate on here, directed towards not only people that love our sport, but are trying to progress it by offering free pulls to the masses. If it weren't for Wakeboard Wednesdays I would probably never started riding, much less bought an X star. Is the video awesome compared to the level of stuff you'd see on Fuel TV or something? No.. but I have half a mind to believe that any pro that saw an event like this go down would have positive things to say about it. And yes, that video does not accurately portray their abilities. Those guys would most likely be able to out ride alot of people on here, I know because I have ridden with them. Tom P, Justin, Mark.. sick riders! Oh and yes, Frankie Panno, the knee boarder...is a good guy, amazing kneeboarder, and has his own pro model knee board out. Lets not hate on people for doing what they love.

Don't believe me about these guys rippin? Look at the videos one of the locals put together, also for free, just to help push this sport:

http://vimeo.com/17549922

Still think these guys suck?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-31-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
This angle has the kicker way offset from the car. Looks like they showed he COULD get over the car.
Attached Images

Old     (cmcxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-01-2011, 9:47 PM Reply   
Albert is right, these guys kill it, and give up a lot of their own time and money to put stuff like this down, just to promote the sport. Before you go hating, ask yourself, what have I done to give back to the sport that has given me so much? Spending 5 hours on a boat driving and coaching on a Wednesday night is a lot of work, you know how I know this? I do it, 8 weeks every summer to give back. Does it cut into my riding time? Yep. Is it all worth it when I help someone get up for the first time and see the smile? Definitely. Keith and Mark have done so much to promote "our" sport in this area, and have never asked for anything in return. Show some respect, and better yet, take notes. If we all had this attitude imagine what our sport could be. Props to Mark M., Mark N., Frankie, Tony, Paz, Milos, Cankar, Joe, Lisa, Nicole, Brian, and everyone else help put this on. Thanks to Monster, Mitsubishi, The Broken Oar, All Action Sports, Raging Buffalo, Liquid Sports, Mastercraft Boats of Chicago, and my employer for letting me have the time to do this. Love all of you guys......sun's out, guns out......
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-02-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
Definitely would agree with some great riding in the video. My original posts goal wasn't to detract from that one!
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-03-2011, 9:22 AM Reply   
At least the chick is hot!

Last edited by bbr; 01-03-2011 at 9:29 AM.