Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (morgan437)      Join Date: May 2013       09-01-2013, 12:44 PM Reply   
I've noticed when surfing that if I have sun screen on my legs it will sometimes make my traction pad slippery. Do any of you guys use wax instead of traction pads? My only concern is pulling my traction pad off of my board, it's a lf custom quad that came with the traction on it stock. I'm worried the glue they used may damage the board when pulling the traction pad off. Has any one done it? Ideas?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-01-2013, 2:06 PM Reply   
The glue won't damage the board, but it is not easy to take it off. You will have the same problem with wax, in fact sunscreen or greasy products tend to make wax even more slippery than EVA foam. Just clean you traction with some soap. You can also apply wax to your traction, which is what most people do.

Nick
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-01-2013, 2:22 PM Reply   
Never have had this problem. I use traditional sport sunscreen lotion, my friends also haven't had the problem and they use the sport spray. What kind of sunscreen is it? It could be that the kind you're using is more slippery and tends to come off in the water or run down your legs to your feet more.
Old     (morgan437)      Join Date: May 2013       09-01-2013, 2:36 PM Reply   
I don't tend to always use the same sunscreen. I usually try to use spray on stuff but just grab whatever is laying around. I think I'll try and wax the pad and see if it helps. I was thinking about the wax because I've never noticed this while surfing in the ocean, but then again I'm not that great in the ocean so I probably wouldn't notice the board being a little slippery
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-01-2013, 5:13 PM Reply   
Adding surf wax to your existing traction works. I have a surf wax rubbed into my traction and I really like it. Certain people run a tail pad and only wax up front. I have traction all over my board plus wax and like it a lot. May be worth a try. Total personal preference
Old     (morgan437)      Join Date: May 2013       09-01-2013, 8:19 PM Reply   
I'm gonna wax the traction and see if it's any better