Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (hixonjr)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-06-2008, 10:27 PM Reply   
I started wakeboarding this summer and love it. I want to get my own boat, so I've been doing research and trying to find a budget boat as a first. From what I've read here on the forum and other sites, inboards are the best and the following boats have good wakes, especially with added weight

- Ski Nautique 2001 ('81-'89)
- Supra Sunsports ('89+) and most other supras
- Mastercraft ProStar 205 ('94+)
- Correct Craft Sport/Super Sport Nautique
- Malibu Sunsetter (89+)

Am I missing any? How about any other Mastercrafts, like this 1989 Mastercraft Maristar 240... http://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/839222353.html

I would prefer to have an open bow and get out under 10k. I've been checking craigslist and the forum here for sales. Ebay is next. Thoughts? Thanks so much for the help!
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-06-2008, 11:41 PM Reply   
Deffinatly look for boats including Perfect Pass (or any cruise) and a tower... im also looking for a boat in that range and i figure ur looking at an extra 3k to add those and they r a must for me.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-06-2008, 11:51 PM Reply   
The CC 2001/Sport/SuperSport offer the benefit of much very good wake boarding fuel economy too.
Old     (hixonjr)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-07-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, definitely helping narrow it down.

The tower was a must for me, the cruise is something I'll start looking for as well.

What are the thoughts on the MC Maristar's wake compared to Prostar 205? The guy in the post says... "This is a BIG boat 24ft, and the maristar is the pleasure/tournament style boat. This means The hull is much deeper than the pro-star series (displace more water, make a bigger wake)" I haven't heard or seen this. It seems the ProStar is more of the go to boat. Agree?

thanks again guys.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-07-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
Finding an older boat with PP is going to be tough. You can go as far back as 92 on the 205 mastercraft. The 94 is the same boat but with fuel injection. It is going to be tough to get a decent shape open bow boat with a tower for under 10k but I would say your best bet is going to be a late 80's early 90's Supra Sunsport.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-07-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have been behind the 1991 maristar 240. It was an SC though so the wake might have been slightly different due to the extra weight up font. I think the boat was ahead of it's time as far as styling. It is a nice and big boat but that 1000lbs of ballast is not going to cut it. The wake was very wide and not that big even with the 1500lbs we had in it. Great boat for cruising and wakeboarding. However if you want something a little better suited for wakeboarding I would steer elsewhere. That boat sounds like a deal though. It was a gas guzzler too
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-07-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
May I ask what your budget is?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-07-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
A Maristar from 89 will be a direct drive with the motor in the middle. I never rode behind one so I can't comment, but their friggin huge. I think it was about 1996 when the Maristar became a v-drive. I never cared for how they performed.... slow out of the hole, turn like a truck, and the high engine with the narrow integrated swimstep was awkward.

I had the PS205 for like 7 years. It had a great, medium sized wake with 800 lbs of ballast on board. Great performer & I sold it for the same price I bought it for after 7 yrs & >600 hrs.

Looking for a boat without a tower might be one way to keep the cost down. Then adding a tower yourself will ensure it's done to your standards (some installs suck bad). Same thing can be said for stereo & ballast. The building of your ultimate riding machine is part of the experience.

Sunsetters, Sport Nautiques & 205s are very similar in design, performance & quality. All are great boats & I imagine you can find great deals on them this time a year.

Supras are good boats. But they had some wood in them back then so you have to be careful. Learn what parts of the floor were prone to rot (behind driver's seat) & look for it on any boats you check out.

2001s have a great wake but they are just not a very big boat, especially when you yank the back seat to put in ballast. Go look at one & see if it works for you.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on October 07, 2008)
Old     (mc_gal_4_life)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-07-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
Not sure where you are located but there is a dealership here Orlando that has a huge selection and they ship as well! www.liquidsportsmarine.com
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-07-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
pass on the Prostar for sure,the wake sucks on em. A better bet would be the Tristar, the wake was pretty decent and you can get a nice open bow for around 12K. 0.02
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-07-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
Are you kidding?! That is one on the most respected hulls in the industry. 95+ that is
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-07-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
I think it's 97+ for the current hull, but yes, are you kidding?
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-07-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
I think we might both be wrong. I think it's 1996.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-07-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
95/96/97+ is likely out of his budget.
thats why a late 80's tristar would be better suited for him to consider. old prostar (pre-95 ish) wakes are generally
i agree, the late 90's prostar 205 wake is great, especially paired with the vette engine.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-07-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
This may be a little older than your lookin for but it is a really nice boat and the wake it pretty sweet with a little weight, I've seen this boat in action and it is really nice with a brand new motor and lots more new. Good luck with the search.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/632691.html?1223313315
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-07-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
No doubt that any of the direct drive wakes are going to be smaller wakes. 92-95 Prostar was the lower gunnels. +96 had higher gunnels & were a bit wider. Bottoms were very similar.

Personally I never cared for the Tristar because of the swimstep being integrated, rather than a bolt on. So a 20' Tristar has almost 2' less interior space than a 20' Prostar (because the swimstep counts on the Tristar & does not on the Prostar). In fact they were not a very popular boat at all, so the Tristar deals are definitely lower priced.

Late 80s Tristar wake would be more like the late 80s Prostar wakes & not at all like the 92 - 95 PS wakes.

While their all really flat bottomed boats, their still very well built.

That Supra Todd posted seems like a descent deal..... if your in the PNW. Might be tough to justify the drive if not. No experience here with the Joystick tower. I'd look at that & the quality of the engine rebuild.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on October 07, 2008)
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-07-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
I love my 94 PS205 and for the money, it is a very functional boat. I do agree with the lower gunnels, I do tend to swamp her when not paying attention and slammed with about 3000lbs.

I have about $13000 into mine including sacks, tower, and racks. If you want to hit me up next spring, I may be in the market for an upgrade.
Old     (hixonjr)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-07-2008, 3:45 PM Reply   
Awesome talk, really helping. I'd rather not spend more than 10k, and would prefer less. Hopefully end of the season will help out.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-07-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
little more than 10k but looks like a great deal

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/629069.html?1222214609
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-07-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
So what part of the USA are you searching, Dan?

Have you checked out http://www.onlyinboards.com?

Or the for sale section here on WW?

Found this ad on WW. I supposed it hasn't sold because it's been painted & the guy never seems to tell anyone what kind of job he did on it. Looks pretty damn good for a 26 yr old boat.... if you like bright green. It's in your price range. Might be worth a look.
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       10-07-2008, 4:59 PM Reply   
^^^^ I second the 1982 Ski Nautique 2001 found in the post above ^^^^
Old     (hixonjr)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-07-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
I'm in the south. Columbus, Mississippi to be exact. I'll only be here a year for pilot training and I don't know if the Air Force will send me where I can live right off the water again, another reason I don't want to spend a lot. I've checked out WW, and I'll head over to onlyinboards as well.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-07-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
So one thing about a CC 2001 is that the price on them have pretty much bottomed out. Their not a very big boat, enough for 3 or 4 people tops. So if you bought something like that green one above, you wouldn't need to add a lot (maybe a fat sac & a stereo), use it for a year or so for you & a couple of buddies to learn how to ride & drive a boat. Then when it comes time to unload it, you'd probably get all your money back & then some.
Doesn't look like TN is too far a drive for you either.
Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-07-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/boa/868388256.html

I uh, hate to post that because I would rather scrape together the cash and buy it myself
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-07-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
dude....

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=4381954&cat=

Oh, and Bill, you just have to put the right prop it a Maristar, mine rips out of the hole now. Big boat, very smooth......But you're right you do need to drop about 2k of ballast in it for the right wake.

I know the seller, um its me.

(Message edited by robandrus on October 07, 2008)
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-08-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
SunSport all the way I have a 91 with auto ballast and absolutely love it