Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-13-2014, 4:44 AM Reply   
Ok so I have rode for a few years and still suck cause I feel that my pop sucks and I want to get consistent. I have changed boards, boats, etc over the years and never stuck with one thing until now.

I have the boat I want, 95 SS and board that I think I really like, SS Hooke.

So to the question, what controls pop the most, the board, the rider, or the wake?

Can you with proper technique get the same amount of pop on every board or does that truly matter?

I know people can do a lot of the same tricks behind a I/O wake as they can behind a wakeboat. I know a larger wake makes for larger and bigger tricks. But does the type of wake actually affect pop? Meaning a Malibu wake may not pop you as high as a Nautique wake due to steepness versus mellowness.

This is not a manufacture war thread it is a pop thread so lets talk about it.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-13-2014, 5:26 AM Reply   
Here is how I would rank what effects pop:
1. rider technique
2. size of wake
3. shape of wake
4. board
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-13-2014, 6:06 AM Reply   
All the things Joe listed are correct. Post a video of yourself hitting some wake to wake and maybe we can help you with some pointers.

Alot of times changing just one small thing in your approach will change the line tension you get and help/hurt your pop. For me, it was handle position. I needed to focus on keeping the handle closer to my hip as I come up the wake.

Last edited by dezul; 08-13-2014 at 6:10 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-13-2014, 6:31 AM Reply   
I find most people that don't get pop are not standing tall into the wake. Make sure your knees are stiff so that you do not absorb the pop.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-13-2014, 6:39 AM Reply   
Think of it as combining two sources of energy. On one hand you have the wake energy, and on the other you have the line tension energy. The board is simply the point of intersect. The wake is a constant supplied energy, while line tension, you have to create. A bigger wake has more energy, but that doesnt mean you get more pop inheirently, it only mean you can get away with creating less line tension to produce the same result. The board shape has more to do with your preferred style than pop science. Do you prefer fast long pop, or slow vert pop? They can all do both, but some excel at one more than the other.

Your problem, like most, is most likely not understanding how to manipulate line tension in a consistent way. You ever feel like sometimes you cut into the wake and dont pop at all, and others you take what seems like the exact same cut and you pop really high? Same carve, different line tension.

Learn to understand line tension and handle position and the trick world opens up pretty easily.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-13-2014, 6:52 AM Reply   
Joe was on the right track, I would expand on the "rider technique" a lot. So much of the amount of pop you are getting as to line control. Line control is really everything in wakeboarding. Line control mixed with a proper edging technique leads to a good pop. I am sure everyone has heard of a "progressive edge." What the progressive edge is really helping the rider to is gain speed at the wake and generate energy or load the line. This energy is being stored in the rider and the line and is released at the top of the wake, that energy really helps dictate the amount of pop you're are able to generate. I like to run riders through what I call the "edge/pop Drill" What I the rider do is take a cut out from the wake heelside 15-20 feet. Then take a nice mellow progressive edge into the wake, with the goal of generating enough speed to clear the wake. Doing it over and over again until they are edging correctly and clearing both wakes. Then we have them take a shorter cut out and repeat the drill until they can take a super small approach at the wake and clear both wakes. With enough practice and proper technique you can/should be able to clear the wake with a 5-10 foot approach.* Doing this over and over is building muscle memory, and you learn that line control is everything.

Derik also brings up a good point about body position at the wake, a large amount of tricks in wakeboarding can be done with a seated position at the wake, as if the rider is sitting in a chair, think backrolls, glide tricks, hs fs off axis spins. On the other hand there are tons of tricks that require the rider to stand tall, backside spins, tantrums, hs flat spins, etc.

Hope this helps and makes sense.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-13-2014, 8:22 AM Reply   
You all are making a lot of sense. I have watched videos and read hundreds of post and still feel my technique is all wrong. We have a very small crew with limited skills so improving is a little slow.

I am working on an issue with the boat and will get a video up as soon as we get back out. rode less this summer than any and it sucks.