Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-30-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
Hi guys,

i have some questions to ask you, and maybe some 22ssv owners can help me out or people that ever experianced a day or a ride on that boat can also help me out.
We are looking to buy a demo that only have 67 hours and is super clean, loaded with all options. My questions is, since i really not know a lot on these boat like MC or CC is it a good boat and i am not trying to start a boat war boat with this question i mean : the seating is it good, storage, all gadgets (ballast, wake plate, storage of info on the supra perfect pass), also is the wake big, step , rampy ? if possible that you guys send picture of the wake could be nice also. Personnaly i like the boat but for the look, its not my best choice i only prefer the MC's or Malibu or CC supra desings is more classic instead of the others IMO not to offense any supra owners but its not my first criteria, i prefer a sober boat that i sick and a good quality.
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-30-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/VTD/2008/Supra/index.html?manufacture=1&boat=3 try that out its a virtual test drive and will give you a ton of info on the boat and have good pictures of the wake. the 22ssv is an amazing boat and worth every penny and every penny you save.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-30-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
I woudl harldy say supra is a "classic" design...their new interior and dash is one of the best looking out there IMO, very functional and very modern looking. I second it's a great boat, the wake is steeper than a malibu but less than any CC I've been on. Ballast is some fo the best in it's size, the bags are upgradeable allowign for more than 2100lbs in stock ballast. You can't go wrong for the price.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-30-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
Yeah I have been in about all boats on the market and I am a fan of most of them. It just comes down to a great boat for the money. You can't beat the Supra. It is in the same league as the others you mentioned. You will not be sorry!
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-30-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
I agree with Diggs. I have been in just about every boat and I am on my 2nd Supra. I think they are the best boat for the $$, but that is just my opinion. If you have a chance demo all the boats you can and make a choice based on your opinion, not others on this board. You will not go wrong with any of the top brands if you have a good dealer backing you up.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-31-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
ok and if the money is not the issue i mean, not the boat for the money thing, what other brand you think could be a bit like the supra but more solid ? i think this question can be really peaky but i'll try
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-31-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
For me the most similar manufacturer to Supra in concept is Malibu. I don't think Malibu does anything significantly better than supra in terms of build quality or structural design tho, so if price were not an issue issue I would still take the 22SSV over the VLX.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-31-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
It really comes down to your preference. Supra has as good a built quality as anyone on the market. You need to go with what makes you and your family happy. Not what everyone on these boards tell you. Spend time and make sure you have a good dealer in your area. That is very important part of the process...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-31-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
I'm sorry but you are asking for a boat that is more solid than one of the most solidly built boats out there. All boats have issues, MC, CC & Malibu all of em.

The question is dumb, a bit like the Supra? You said you don't like the Supra, so why bother. Even if money was no object I personally would still consider a Supra over anything else. A friend had a 22SSV and the wake was ridiculous, like an old X-Star but bigger and all the ballast was hidden.

If you don't like the Supra's looks then why are you considering it. Personally I think they look baller, especially the new towers, but to each his own.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-31-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
sorry Stephan, i try to ask my questions the best as i can, my primary language is french and i do my best to wrote in a appropriate english, i know my question can be ''weird'' or so, but dumb i dont think so what i want to know by : a bit like the supra but more solid is with all those good features but that also have a good reputation and good quality boat, if it can be more clear like that. Like i told you its not that i dont like the Supra it's just that here in montreal, the most boat we saw ( because wakeboarding is not popular so much here) are Mastercrafts and CC's and i love the look of those boat but maybe is it because it's the one i always saw on the water, or maybe i am telling myself everyone have them this is what i have to buy i dont know i am trying to tell you what exactly i feel because i think you guys here have a lot of experiance in boats because some of you have owned many of those brands in the past. And anyway at 23 years old it will nto be my last one

(Message edited by Radikal on January 31, 2008)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-31-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
Sorry if I came off mean. I figured you primarily spoke French. Let me tell you, a Supra is not a step down from what you have seen in the past. The top 3 are Malibu, Mastercraft & Nautique, the #4 company is Supra. They make a top quality product and in my opinion out performs the others in a few key ways. It's nice to have a huge ballast and have it all hidden away, the only one of the top 3 that comes close is Malibu and they still fall short.

Take the Supra for a test spin, ask to drive the truck so you can see what it looks like on the water. Trust me they look awesome. Then hop in and put it through its paces.

Trust me it will feel good to own something different than everyone else. Especially if they see that thing throwing a huge mackin wake. Supra is top notch as are the others.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-31-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
.....you can buy a mercedes or bmw or just get an acura or lexus........the first two are all name but the last two have caught up and passed..........supra has caught up!
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-31-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
michael i think i just better understand with that post haha !! first two are more proudishhhh but the other is a serious contender :-)

also you guys love the seating patern ? i mean you dont feel the driver is isolated by himself with this faceback seating behind him ?
Old     (seminolepride991)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-31-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
i like the seating..because when your out riding..you gunna wanna watch the rider...that seat makes it easier..and u dont really feel alone when you have a girl sittin to your left with the playpin seats up lol..my profile pic is of an 07 Supra 22SSV just for another refrence
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-31-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
I think the rear-facing seat is cool. You give up some floor space but you gain in viewing ability.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-31-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
ok perfect and some wake pics anyone ??
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-31-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
Here's a few shots...hopefully it will show a little something. This was a sunsport 22 (no basement but with std walkthru) which means it has less ballast in the mid section. Factory ballast, maybe 5-7 people in the boat...and more than likely a big ass cooler full of soda.

The wake is fully legit and more than 99% of us need with just stock ballast. Buy it, ride it, and hang on for the ride.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-31-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
Did you check out the virtual test drive? Cody posted the link in the second post above. That'll tell you all the specs and wake detail.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-31-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
nice this wake look real nice ! how is it for surfing ?
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-31-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
the other thing about the supra is that the wake is going to be quite a bit different from a malibu and mastercraft. i love the steep wake you can get from a skier's choice drop keel hull but not everybody does. you should try to ride behind one or atleast test drive it instead of trying to judge the wake in pictures.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-31-2008, 9:20 PM Reply   
so that wake is really steep ? from what i see in pictures it look to be quite a good steep wake. For a big guy of 6 feet 260pounds that should give me a good pop ;)

But yes this is sure before making my choice i will test drive and ride for sure, ill never drop that amount of money without ever trying
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-01-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
One of the guys I ride with a lot bought a 2007 Supra 22ssv last summer and I love it. The wake is very solid, rampy and has great size. The interior is one of the best I've seen these days and the tower is really solid- Actually I love the look of the tower. the only knock I have on it is the surf wake- we could really get it dialed in- but we didn't actually play with it a lot last year.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-01-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
will what do you mean by that ? you could get it dialed but you didnt play with it ? its just because you didnt make a lot of surfing or you had issue with the wake for surfing ?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-01-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
it took us a bit to really figure out the surf wake on the 22ssv, but we have it dialed now. We run a 650 lb bag in the rear corner (all plumbed) and then fill the front ballast half way, wake plate up or half way, 10 mph... Slight curve in that direction helps too
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-01-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
^^^^^ diggs I also run the stock rear bag on the seat, on which ever side we are surfing.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-01-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
yeah similar to what we do.. if we have a lot of people we of course throw them over there, and if not we will take a 440lb launch pad and either put it on the seat or leave the rear hatch open and put it on the other ballast...
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-01-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
Diggs pretty much summed it up. We didn't do much surfing behind the SSV last year- mostly boarding. I think it takes a while to really play with the speed, wake plate settings, weight, etc to find the "sweet spot" with the surf wake and we just didn't take the time. I think we had one rear bag full which didn't seem to be enough weight- and the trim plate about half way to all the way up- played witht hat a lot- and speed wise around 10 mph butthat seemed fast. I think the speedo needed to be GPS'd too.

I own a Tige and I run 800 lbs in one rear locker with the trim set at half going 11.2 ( gps confirmed) and the surf wake is incredible- frankly- I think it's the best I have ever seen. Very tall, wide and long. I can literally get 15 feet FROM the boat and still still work the wave. Anyway- that's what i'd like to see from the Supra as well. The wakeboard wake is great though and like I said- the interior is (imo) the best out there for layout.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-01-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
do you think guys that if you change the factory ballast bags for oversized one it will do the job instead of adding external one ? i am not a fan of manually filling and everything héhé not that its not a good thing its just because if you have people in the boat it can cause problems or confort issues
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-01-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
you just hit on the best thing about supra... you can swap out the bags from factory to upgraded bags and it is all hidden and plumbed. i, and many on here, have upgraded to 1150 lbs (all hidden) in the front locker and then 650 lb bags on each side of the engine, all hidden. I can still store all my vests and stuff easily too....
it is not often that you jump into a supra and see the need to put any bags on the floor or do it manually.... you jump in most other boats that have 2400 lbs of ballast you have them on the floor and/or have to manually fill them
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-01-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
by the way.. you probably won't need the upgraded ballast.. i know i don't but heck it is cool to have...
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-01-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
yeah its cool to say man i have 2400 pounds of ballast to sink my ride !

And is it easy to find and how much it cost, to upgrade to ballast ? and with that you need also to add a external bag for surfing ?
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-01-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
Hay Y'all Im talking to Radikal about my 07 22SSV Limited. I could use some help about my rep.

Radikal - The upgrade cost is about $600 to $750 to swap out the bags depending on if you have the optional step/cooler. Im running 1150 front with 2x750 rear. I use the 750lb bags in the rear instead of the 600lb because it makes a better surf wake. My evaluation of the wakeboard wake is world class. The surf wake is average but one cool thing is its about the same on both sides which is unusual. Yes my boat comes with the 2650lb bags

(Message edited by redsupralaunch on February 01, 2008)
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-01-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
Chris definitely has a good repuation and definitely babies his rides. You can't go wrong with it...
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-01-2008, 8:53 PM Reply   
Chris i will be 100% honest with you, you seem a really good and honest person, the only thing is that i am not the #1 fan of buying a boat at distance, the 15 hours drive just to see the boat without even be sure if i buy it scared me a bit, if you were in my area i'll go see it definatly !

Also i have my Carver 40 feet cruiser to sell before buying my new boat, dont need 2 boat at a time :-)

But you know what i know you will find something really quick your boat is a sick looking one and if hes clean like you tell me im surprise its not already sold !