Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-24-2012, 10:28 AM Reply   
I know there are a bunch of car enthusiasts here, so I thought I would throw this out there. I am considering a new A3 with Alcantara inserts in the doors and seats. Does anyone have any experience with Alcantara and maintaining it? I do a lot of mountain biking and am worried about dust and dirt.

I have done a bunch of searching and there are very mixed reviews out there. Some people say that it gets holds oils and dirt, balls up, and doesn't last as long as leather. Others say they would never get leather again, and would only go with Alcantara for their future cars. The people who like it say that it is very durable, easy to clean, and is more durable than leather.

If anyone has any experience with Alcantara, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!
Dan
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-24-2012, 2:07 PM Reply   
I have had it on the last 3 cars as inserts in the seats, and on this current car the steering wheel and shifter as well. It holds up quite well, is very resistant to stains (light colors aren't as good) and is fairly easy to clean. I just use a little water with diluted detergent to get out any bad dirt.

The steering wheel in my track car has it, but my gloves have worn the material on the wheel. I don't think it was as well made as the material in the seats of my daily driver.
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-25-2012, 11:48 AM Reply   
Thanks Flack..
What do you use to dust it and how often do you clean it? It seems like I should keep a soft bristle brush in the car to dust when it gets dirty.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-27-2012, 8:00 AM Reply   
A Shop Vac works best with the brush attachment. The local Coin op Car wash vacuums also work well. Just keep it clean weekly. It really is easy to keep clean.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-27-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
My limited expereince with it...I didnt' like it. I dont' like the way it looks against leather ( if you have inserts) . Secondly, the cleaning is diff for it vs. leather. didnt' like that either ( having to clean two type of materials) . I dont' get the appeal...IMO a high quality leather looks and feels much better. I specifically avoided it on my current car.