Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
Ok, I went on a test ride behind a 237 tonight expecting to be blown away and I was...underwhelmed. The wave looked clean and long, but it was not very tall (slightly over knee high) and when I tried to surf it, it didn't have much push at all. I was using my smaller board which is a little trickier for me to ride, but I can hold a wave fine with it on my current boat, a Supra 21v (which isn't really known for being a great surf boat.)

I think we must be doing something wrong. The salesmen that was out with me isn't a wakeboarder/surfer so he didn't really have many suggestions on how to configure it. Here's how we had it set up for surfing port side:

1) port ballast full (300lbs) + front ballast (600lbs).
2) starboard surf tab all the way down (plate in water), port surf tab all the way up (plate out of the water).
3) 400lbs bag and 300lb bag in port locker most of the way full. So, close to 1000lbs in the port locker. Another 300lb bag full on the rear port seat.

Boat speed was 12mph. We tried 11mph with the front ballast drained as well and that seemed a little better as the wave got taller, but I was still struggling just to drop the rope.

So, any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? I do use more weight than this in my supra, but from reading the posts on here, I didn't think I'd need as much on the 237 so I didn't bring all of my bags. It probably wasn't enough weight though as the boat wasn't really listing that much.

One thing I might have been doing wrong is the sweet spot of the wave on my supra is pretty close to the boat. Perhaps I need to surf a little further back to feel a good push from the wave? Anyway, we are going to try again and I'll bring more sacks plus my bigger surf board. But so far, I'd say my 21v surfs better (for me) than this sanger does and that was a bit disappointing.

I haven't given up yet though and would appreciate any thoughts on how to set it up better.

Did a wakeboard set as well and the wake was nice for that. Similar to my 21v but with a more forgiving transition. But, if I can't get a surf wave that blows me away I'll stick with my current boat as that was the primary motivation for upgrading.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
I don't think you need bow weight. I'm sure Dennis will have some comments. He said in an earlier post that the v237 doesn't need bow weight with the surf tab engaged. I could be wrong:-) I think you most likely need to be further back. Did you take any pictures?

(Message edited by duffymahoney on January 25, 2010)
Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-25-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
Thanks. We took the bow weight out and slowed down to 11mph which seemed to make it better. But, I still wasn't getting the push I expected from the wave. It is possible I was too far forward...didn't think about that until later.

One other question (really a boat question, but I'll add it here anyway.) The boat has Mercruiser's 'smart tow' system which the sales guy didn't really know how to use (he said he'd figure it out before we go out again.) I was just reading about it and the launch control features sound pretty cool, but the Mercruiser website says it is rpm control only and not speed control. Anyone else have a 2009 Sanger with this system? Is the rpm control only an issue at all? I always used perfect pass speed control in my current boat and have never tried using rpm instead.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
Using the surf tabs, you are making the wave slightly smaller. You are causing lift on the starboard side, bringing the nose down and also causing list. Next time try not using them, or try filling the starboard tank full and then use them. I think you would only need them if you are running a ton of weight.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       01-25-2010, 8:22 PM Reply   
Hey David,

i can tell you all about how to use the smart tow system. Great system by the way. We use at least 1300# in the rear locker including the hard tank. The tabs allow you to not use any weight up front. Don't help on the rear weight though. I will send you an email with my phone # so we can talk.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-25-2010, 8:54 PM Reply   
Hey David,

Dennis will help you out. I've got probably the exact boat setup that you're looking at. He helped me out when I first got it. It will give you an awesome wave once you set it up right.

Off the top of my head though:
I think what you're doing wrong is the surf tabs. Those kill the wave if not set right. I believe I had mine set so that there were 3 lines lit up for the tab opposite of the side you're surfing on. The other tab has no lines lit.

That will give you the best height:length ratio. You'll be able to ride waaaaaaaaaay back and pull airs as well.

I had a Supra before as well. An '06 22SSV. Get rid of it, you'll get what you need in that 237