Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2006, 12:19 AM Reply   
So, Im an addrenalin junky.. I always have been, insane speeds on my motorcycle, raced cars, skydived a few times, backcountry snowboarding, jumping off bridges, downhill mt biking, etc... and since I had kids I feel like I slowed down on some things; no more streetbikes(only dirt), no more skydiving, racing cars.. but still feel like there are certain sports out there that I want to continue doing including heli-boarding. My wife and family are getting really pissed at me and telling me that I cant do these things anymore because I have kids, and its too much of a risk, and I guess I just dont see the life threating aspect of it any different than commuting to work.

So my question is .. how many dads out here gave up a certain lifestyle because of marriage and kids vs how many still feel that as long as its controlled and not super insane its ok to continue certain sports?

(Message edited by extremeisaac on July 14, 2006)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-14-2006, 12:23 AM Reply   
"if i get hurt badly, how am i going to support my family?" that's the only thing you need to be thinking, in my opinion.

let me add by saying sorry dude. i know that's not what you were looking for, but along w/ being responsible for the safety and welfare of your wife and kids is the responsibility of your own safety and welfare in order to provide for your family.

(Message edited by dakid on July 14, 2006)
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2006, 12:29 AM Reply   
AFLAC
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2006, 12:41 AM Reply   
Attilia.. funny comment, this year the wife took out a big life insurance policy out on me heheh

Joe, totally understandble with what you are saying but looking at some of the pics that I have seen of you riding on here, I would think getting inverted at 20+mph could do as much damage as say for example back country snowboarding.... props to your riding skills by the way :-)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-14-2006, 12:45 AM Reply   
thanks isaac, but keep in mind, i'm not riding beyond my abilities. i know what i'm capable of and make sure i don't do anything i'm not ready for. sure, things can happen and it's a risk. luckily for me, i can and do work from home.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-14-2006, 4:26 AM Reply   
I'm with Joe on this....even though I don't a family or anyone else to care for.
Knowing your abilities and having responsibilities is a big deterrent on how hard you want to continue playing.
One of the main reasons why I'm not advancing much in wakeboarding. Things hurt much more when you move out of certain age ranges. Being a single provider and having a business rely on your services, I can't afford much time off work.
Sure I have disability insurance, but you need to work to maintain that as well
Old     (ozzgood)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-14-2006, 5:45 AM Reply   
I haven't slowed down much...I have a wife that is super supportive she drives my boat, and we have had our daughter out on the boat since she was three weeks old.But I have to side with all the other guys....Even though my wife is super cool and lets me do all of the things I love ,my family comes first..
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-14-2006, 6:33 AM Reply   
Getting Married had no affect on my fun. I do more and more every year. I am into snowboarding, and dirt biking also, with my sights set on getting another street bike.

Before we had our 5 month old daughter, I was gone nearly every weekend, and riding (something) a couple times a week. I'll admit I had to slow down a litle with having a kid, but not much. Mostly because I realze it's not fair to my wife to leave her at home with the Gracie all the time. I have to be fair and do my share. So, now I'm probably gone 1 weekend a month on overnight trips and I do a lot of day trips so I can get my ace back home.

I expect things to get back to normal once Gracie gets older and she can travel everywhere wth us. My new job is the biggest obstacle right now.

Thank god for the coolest wife on the earth. I bought my dirt bike a month before my daughter was delivered and broke my wrist the first say out. Every one said "what the hell are you doing?" (except for my wife)

I don't think you are out of line at all. Live your life. Have fun. Do as much as you can without being unfair to your wife. Be a great dad. Get AFlAC. Make sure you have life insurance, and have a ball. You only live once dood.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-14-2006, 6:43 AM Reply   
I haven't really slowed down at all. I still ride all the time. I would agree with Joe that you should stay within your abilities though. If you are a good snowboarder or skier and want to heliski and it is within your abiltiy I say keep doing it. Besides you are probably more likely to get messed up in a car accident or something stupid anyway.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-14-2006, 6:48 AM Reply   
My wife isn't so concerned about me getting killed. She's more concerned about me getting permanently disabled!!
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-14-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
Of my friends and family who have kids, I don't think it has slowed them down. I think the biggest reason why is that they have been raising their families to enjoy the activities that they do. When we go to the river, although the men aren't up at five to get the best water anymore, it is just as much fun to watch the kids behind the boat. Same goes for the desert. The more advanced group generally goes out for 1-2 long rides and then those with kids go on a slower put, as the kids are starting to ride now too. Part of what makes our situation work is that the girls are as into the river/desert scene as much as the guys. That said, I know that when we do have kids life will change somewhat. I think that you have to take into account that your life isn't just your own anymore. As long as you can work out a compromise that works for all of you and that you can tone it down a bit.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-14-2006, 7:01 AM Reply   
I'm married with a 15 month old daughter. I just spent two months in a wheel chair. I got hurt at work. Things happen it was just an accident. But it was a huge strain on my wife. She pretty much had to do everything. I sat in a recliner and played xbox. I think it would be wise to be careful. Have fun but don't be a dumb ass, how you interprete dumbass is between you and your wife. Backcountry snowboarding is extremely dangerous IMO. I love to snowboard but the slopes are fine for me. Wakeboarding not dangerous just fun. Some of the stuff in videos that looks dumb, cool to watch but dumb. Like rails over dry land that's really going to hurt when you fall. I think that this is called growing up. You don't base jump with a wife and kids. Even if you don't have a family you have a mom. Base jumping is probably an ass whooping from mom for sure.

Just my .02
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-14-2006, 7:03 AM Reply   
A lot slowed down for me since I had kids, but I feel that having kids is a responsibility and as such certain activities had to go. But other things have replaced them, I skydived before a little, now I wakeboard a lot. Also, with the wife and kids came steady work for a lot more money, so I was able to buy a bad-ass boat. Life is tradeoffs and comprimises when you are responsible for a family, its part of growing up. BTW, I read that you are 30 times more likely to become disabled sometime in your life than you are to die, so keep that in the back of your mind. Personally, it would be hard for me to feel good about myself if my thrill-seeking got in the way of providing for my family.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-14-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
"Wakeboarding not dangerous just fun."

I think wake boarding is dangerous. A young girl died this week from what sounded like a normal fall. The fact that we land face down in water makes it very risky imo.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-14-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
Have owned my own company for 1.5 years. Son is 5 months old. Married for 10 years. Sold boat in May because 4 friends have boats. Have not been on the water once this summer. Priorities have certainly changed since having my son. Injury is not an option with my my business, so last year I was taking it easy on the wakeboard. Golf has taken over my wakeboarding this year. I love golf as much as boarding, so it is a fair trade for me. I swore up and down that having a baby would not change my boating/wakeboarding and BOY WAS I AN IDIOT! Time with my son is not even comparible to wakeboarding. Would trade that time with him over the boat any day. I am still extremely excited to get him on the boat and getting myself on the board again, but not obsessed with it as I was for the past 6 years. I have slowed down, but for the better. We still hit happy hour every friday night (with him) and bbq, go out to eat, or hang out and have libations every weekend with friends as usual. So that has not changed one bit.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-14-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
I've been married for almost three years now. It hasn't slowed down my lifestyle one bit...if anything, it intensified the need/want to go do fun stuff because you have someone to do it with.

Kids would bring that all to a screeching halt. Therefore, no kids.....wife says I can't even get another dog yet.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-14-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
Life is way to short to "worry' about this or that. Take calculated risks, use the "controled burn method," have savings account, and good insurance too. Live life to the fullest. You can die washing the windows on your house, shopping at 7-11, sitting at a stoplight, or facedown in the water. When it's your time, it's simply your time.
I'm married 10 years, 3 kids, and I have stopped some things, and pushed others. I'm not about to sit around the house, pack on the lbs. sitting in the front of the TV, and call it the good/safe life.
My cousin was killed several years ago, cleaning the windows on his house. The fall was less than 6 feet, and left behind a wife and child. When it's your time, it is your time.......
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-14-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
Kids are now 5 & 8, two boys.

We snowboarded over the 4th of July at Mammoth and are heading to the lake this weekend. While they do not get the first rotation yet as they are not jumping the wake, they get all the water they want after we are done.

Slow Down you say?? With the boys loving the board sports and getting better at it all the time, time to speed up.

I definately take a few less risks because I am not on the water every day or snowboarding every weekend, so I stay within my ability and have no problems walking away from something I feel strange about.

Life is a steaming pile of suck without fun stuff to do like wakeboarding and snowboarding and whatever else gets you out of the house and get's your heartrate up.
Old    bigrich            07-14-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
Been wakeboarding (o.k. started out on a skurfer) about 10-11 years ago. Was on my way to getting pretty good in my book when I crashed my dirt bike and had to have MAJOR ankle reconstruction. So now about 4 years later back on wakeboard for about two years now. No where eeven close to where I was but everytime I ride that 9 months of rehab is in the back of my mind. Caused my family major stress and financial crisis. Anyway don't stop doing what you love but maybe just take it back a notch or two. If you can't live life doing what you want then whats the point
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-14-2006, 8:11 AM Reply   
I'm married with two kids under 3.

I've slowed down quite a bit since being married, but it has nothing to do with risk. I just don't have as much time as I used to. It sounds like you already gave up the hobbies that have uncontrolled risks (racing and skydiving). Good decision making can drastically reduce the risks involved in snowboaring and wakeboarding. Basically, don't make retarded decisions. Like that 100ft gap over the highway isn't a good idea.

Ever consider that the risks involved in your hobbies probably isn't the issue. For me it's the time. Leaving the wife and kids at home every weekend doesn't fly anymore. Like JRod, I do more day trips.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
J-rod, Thanks for you post, its exactly what I wanted to hear from someone else that has kids, married, in my age range and someone who shares the same interests as myself. Sounds like a very similar situation. I have an extrememly supportive wife that also loves to have fun. We ride moto together, she pulls me around on the boat. Although she doesnt snowboard, she buys me a season pass to the slopes for my birthday. last month, I too broke my wrist on the dirtbike, got casted for a couple of weeks, had it taken off and I was right back on it. I didnt get much slack for her, but slack from everyone else.. saying its time to sell it the bike.

Stan.. I think that the point she is missing..keeping it within your abilities. If I didnt feel I could heli, I wouldnt do it.

Thinking about it more, I guess she might like sports that are in a controlled enviorment, vs I like having no limits or boundries. Which is why I like motocrossing in woods and random areas, and she likes to be at a motocross park. She doesnt mind the slopes but I preffer a hike and some backcountry.

It is nice to hear though that there are others like me around that dont feel that they have cap their limits at what they do. Like J-rod said.. you only live once.

Whos up for Jackson Hole this winter

(Message edited by extremeisaac on July 14, 2006)
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-14-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
Isaac- Totally agree. I can't just hang on the slopes with my snowboard. I am always hiking or in the trees somewhere with no one else around. Is it the smartest thing to do, probably not but I am good enough that I know I can handle almost any situation. Like you said, if I couldn't I wouldn't. I definitely love my 7 month old daughter and want to be here to watch her grow up and be able to do things with her, but I certainly am not going to stop doing the things I love because I am affraid of getting hurt or killed.

I know that if I stopped doing everything that I have a possibility of hurting myself and took up golf or something, I would probably be doing my family a huge injustice because I would end up super depressed and blaming them at some level for it weather I conscienciously(sp?) tried to or not. I always have to be doing something on a board or I end up crabby. Its a lifestyle that I can't change and she has never asked me to which I love her for.
Old    xray_eye            07-14-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
Been married for 6 days, haven't slowed down yet. "If your livin' for tomorrow, DID you really live today?"
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
I'm married with an 8 year old son, and 2 year old TWIN girls. Honestly I've lost interest in Moto and my other action hobbies, but still totally commited to Wake and Snow. The only thing really slowing me down is my knees!!!!
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
Foxrep, so did you slow down because of your own will or pressure from family?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-14-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
Definitely slowed down. I sold my Kawasaki and bought a Harley.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
for fear of your life or change of interest?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-14-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
Fear of life and responsibility of family at the time. Although, nowadays I've lost interest in riding the bike altogeather. I feel guilty whenever I engage in any leisure time activity that doesn't involve going to the cablepark. That is except for learning to play the guitar, which I just took up this year.

I ride the cable for my health and general fitness. Being an old guy I more concerned about damaging my body than pushing myself. However, I'd have to say that I've haven't ever really been the agressive push yourself hard kind of person.

Perhaps that's paid off as I'm 50, can throw down a few inverts and spins, and all my parts are in working order. Knees still perfect, knock on wood. "Go big or go home" has never been my motto.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-14-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
You rock John. I hope I can rip like you when I'm 50.

Btw....tetative dates for the Florida trip this year are Nov 9-12. We plan on riding OWC every evening.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-14-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
Thanx j-rod, looking forward to seeing you.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-14-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
nope, nope and nope...

Biggest reason to keep boat is it helps keep the family together..

example #1
teenage kids (females more importantly)want to hang out, if she is addicted to boarding guess wear she'll spend alot of time, on the boat with dad(me) driving her and her grilfriends/boyfriend..

example 2
movies are to expensive for 90-120 of ent compared to a full day on the water...

I could go on, but we bought our Sanger less than 6months after having our first son(now 2), he is more addicted to the boat than me, wakes up in the moring watching Relentless (don't have DS2 yet)he knows that video front and backwards, never lets me play on the tramp anymore,etc.
Now we have a little girl (our last baby) due end of Sept.

I would rather spend a day on the boat with family/friends than Disneyland,movies or whatever. We believe boating is a lifestyle not a hobby.

As for injury well being Navy everything is paid for...
I/We don't want to be old and say why didn't we do that or this etc, live life today because there my not be a tomorrow!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-14-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
Now that I am back on Sea duty I asked the wife if she wanted to sell til I rotate back to Shore in 3 years and she laughed and said your f'crazy we are keeping the boat, you my be at the war but we'll send pics of us on the water..
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
keep the posts comming.. my wife is reading em heheheh

Im glad theres others out there like myself who refuse to give up their sanity
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
Isaac....never presured by family directly....I gave myself some presure. I raced MX for over 25 years and 10 as a Pro. It was a way of life for me, and source of income a few times. I just got totally burnt out on racing,travel, etc.....even tried to scale back to just recreational riding at local tracks, just to make sure I could still ride a fast pace and clean all the obstacles. I felt good as a 30+ year old guy pacing fast teenagers and doing all the jumps they did, but after a while I just lost interest in that too.
I got a little wake up call when I broke my neck in 1999, my son was 2 years old, and I also broke my wrist, got a severe concussion and black eye....decent sized crash for sure and Carolina clay doesn't play around! Not only did the kid look at me like I was a freak with my neck brace, halo, and black and blue face....but it broke my heart to not be able to get on the floor and play with him. Being hurt sucks.

BRIEFLY tried some Bull Riding....not good.

Plus....years of getting beaten up by rough tracks, and many crashes...and double digit broken bone count including a broken neck, my body started to feel the aches. 30 minute motos, throttle pinned on rough rutted tracks......honestly there were times I was hoping I'd crash!
I must admit this.....I got very lucky with my knees my whole career in racing...a few knee sprains and broken knee cap was all I got, but this wake thing KILLS my knees. My previous job had me around most of the Fox wake team from time to time....before that I was like, "who's Danny Harf"? Went to work a PWT, and was like..."cool stuff, plus you crash on water.....beautiful!" Got started 3 years ago with a Bass Pro Shops board and a Sea Ray.....now it's a family of Hyperlites and a Tige.

He rides bikes some now, along with some skateboarding, but he loves that fact that he and I are progressing together in wake and so do I. My wife rides wake too, and it's the greatest family sport in the world in my opinion. We ski and snowboard as a family in the winter up in the N.C. High Country, so boardsports keep some action and family time for us!

(Message edited by foxrepdc on July 14, 2006)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-14-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   

quote:

Im glad theres others out there like myself who refuse to give up their sanity

don't you mean INsanity?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-14-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
i'm with root. i'm not an extreme guy or even a super big althlete, but it's more a matter of having/making time to do the things we want to. with both my wife and i working and all of the other stuff we have/want to do with friends and family it's tough to find time to get away. and i'm afraid that will only get worse as the kids get older. i wouldn't change it for anything though. people without kids often can't understand why it takes longer to get ready, or why you're a few minutes late all the time, etc. they also can't understand how much joy your little one's smile can bring to you though. i think being well-rounded is most important of all.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
I had to slow down alittle.I think the best thing to do or only thing is include them. My boy is 6 and he moto's doesn't board yet. As far as riding on street I had to go to a v-twin.The racing for me well there is no time or money plus if they aren't happy you won't be.
Old    wakelvr            07-14-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
Marriage has not slowed me, nor my husband down. We have always enjoyed doing similar things. I am more of a wakeboarding addict than he is to be perfectly honest. He enjoys it, but I long for it;-) We have been together since 1992, married since 1997 and just now had our first child last year (2005). We decided to wait on having children because there was a lot we wanted to do and accomplish before doing so. That said, I am very glad we waited, but if we waited any longer, we may have regretted waiting so long. We adore our child and I am so glad we made the decision to go for it. He has changed our lives. And YES, it has completely slowed us down, and YES, we knew it would and accepted that it would before even having a child. The one thing that I am trying to do is not be afraid to do things with my child. Some parents don't remain active with their child, and that is perfectly fine (for them). We are trying our best to get out there and try everything at least once. It is SO MUCH MORE WORK with children. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Brady is my pride and joy. I never knew it was possible to love a human being so much (and for those who know me, they know how much I adore my husband). I constantly worry that having Brady is too good to be true and I pinch myself to see if he's still there;-) I'm pathetic, I know. First time mom here... :-)

It took me months to get the courage up to go wake to wake again after having my child. How silly is that?? wake to wake! I constantly worry about hurting myself. Who would carry Brady up our stairs. Who would chase him? It's not worth it to me to get hurt so I will never be as bold as I was before. It's not worth the risk for me. I used to ride 2 plus times per week during the summer and 2-3 times per month in the winter. Now we go 1-2 times per month. As Brady gets older, we'll take him out with us most likely (when I'm not watching him play soccer and football, etc.... :-)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-14-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
Byrd "I read that you are 30 times more likely to become disabled sometime in your life than you are to die..."

holy crap, I know I'm going to die, no if ands or buts about it. Does this mean that I'm going to get disabled 30 times before then? LAME!!! hahahaha
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-14-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
Part of having a family is to do things together. Our kids are 2 and 3 and have been boating with us since they were born. We had to change downhill skiing a bit and now stay at the hill and take turns skiing. We just got them both up on snow skis this year and hope to do the water sports this year or next. You might slow down a bit for a year or so but they are worth it. Pretty soon they'll be passing us. We can't wait.
My girlfriends and I load the boat up during the week while our husbands work and go boating all the time. A three year old makes and awesome spotter.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-14-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
well put Bruce
Old    wakebmxer            07-14-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
I am a Lucky man...I have a supportive wife and 2 kids that share my activities. Anyone who slows down due to age never really had IT. I havent slowed down. I have actually picked up the pace....but I went through slumps...Its all in your mind and in your ear(from the wife). I am a Lucky man.......Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    wakelvr            07-14-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
Mike, your kids are adorable! How old are they?
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2006, 4:32 PM Reply   
Mike .. thats what im talking about!! you go boy! doing it with the kids..
Old    wakebmxer            07-14-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
Thanks, 3 and 7. The both ride bikes on all the ramps in the first picture.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
my 3 year old also rides bmx he has been riding 2 wheels since he was 2.5, in fact i am going shopping for a micro for him tonite so he can start racing ABA at the pal track.. both my daugher and my son ride motocross.. they love it! we are a family that rides together
Old    wakebmxer            07-14-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
Here they are in action.......Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
so pimp bro! keep em riding.. thats the future in the sport your looking at right there!
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-14-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
After 25 yrs of marriage, its only in the last 7 yrs that we all have gotten into things that may seem more reckless.

Having been married since we were 18, with a new baby, we didn't have any money to do anything more than McDonalds and the drive-in movies for years.

When we finally could afford a few things, and our girls were teen-agers, we moved to Tahoe, took up skiing and snowboarding, and of course, wakeboarding.

I guess we worked it in reverse... Now that the kids are out of the house, and we have grand-kids, its fun to be able to get them involved in these things..

Mid-forties by the way...
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-14-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
chica, no children, don't want like to share the time
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-14-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
That is such an interesting and complicated question. I think that everyone's answer will depend on how they interpret what 'slow down' means. To me, I read smarten up

I am 38, married 15 years yesterday, with 2 girls, 12 and 10. I was a paratrooper years ago, jumped out of C-130's into combat (twice), rode motocross, free skied, mountain biked, the whole thing. So have I slowed down?

The answer is yes, I make my living as a cop now, and when I do that I never hesitate for a second, because it is my job. That being said, with everything else, I definitely take less chances than I used to. Why? Simple, because I have a wife and 2 daughters that count on me to not be stupid. They need my support (financial, emotional, etc.) to grow and be happy.

If I were a pro rider or something similar, I would say that I would give 1000% to that, because it is my job, but why try a 100 ft. gap jump for the thrill of it, when the chances of getting killed (or worse, crippled) is significant?

I still wakeboard, ski, MT. Bike, etc. and my family does as well. We have a great time and I think it is a great experience for my daughters. But when I am skiing, riding, or biking, I stay within my comfort level. Yes I fall, but try not to fall hard. My kids fall too, and I tell them that they can do whatever they feel comfortable doing, but I also tell them that if they fall and get hurt, there will be consequences (pain, hospital visit, casts, etc) I think it teaches them control and responsibility.

I know that people say when its your time, its your time, and that you can get killed eating a chicken sandwich, but to me (focus on "to me") it is wrong to take unnecessary risks when you have a family.

Just my opinion

Sean
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-14-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
Well, I can post on this thread now that I'm a dad! Ha! Well a lot of my thoughts have been on how I can best provide for my daughter and family. I can say that, with no experience as a parent, I would like to teach my child to do what they have passion for. Success comes from doing something that you love to do. There is risk every time you walk out the front door.

Do I ride anymore? NO, everyone invites me to the lake but they typically want me in the boat. Lol!
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2006, 10:53 PM Reply   
Sean, Being a cop is high risk in itself, alot of people dont have the balls do come face to face with criminals, I think that job itself has higher risk than any action sport.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-17-2006, 5:30 PM Reply   
The thought of being hurt and not being able to work is always in the back of my mind. I have to think about the old knees a lot more now. Being a contractor, if i get hurt to where I miss more than a couple months of work, its not going to be good. Its about 50\50 if that injury comes from work or play though so you have to be a little more thoughtful about everything you do. No more stupid stunts for me but I still do all the same activities.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
My son has been on the boat rain or shine, year round, every weekend from the age of two. He's now six, and throws a fit if I don't get him up at the crack of dawn to go riding with us.

As far as getting hurt, I exercise religiously and try to stay within my limits on the water.

Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-17-2006, 6:21 PM Reply   
"Boating is a lifestyle..." So true. A thread to talk about my family.....I'm in.

41 Y.O., Married for 17, two boys 9 & 12. The key for me was to marry somebody with common interests (we went Heli-Skiing in Canada for our Honeymoon). Did marriage and kids change things….a little, just in that there are more activities that demand the limited time.

We've been "water people" for about 8 years with various crafts. We ski/snowboard in the winter, camp, golf, mountain bike, and recently added a couple of dirt bikes. Over the years the wife has slowed down a bit, but still loves being out and involved in the activities. I’ve reluctantly slowed down just due to age….I just can’t hold on as long, and if I catch the first lift, I’m out of gas just a little earlier in the afternoon. Our boat, by far, has been the best family investment. The kids love it and it keeps the family together. The wife loves to be on the water and will ride occasionally. We have vacationed all over and have stayed at some nice resorts. Ask the kids best vacation....."hmmmm..Houseboat, Shasta, but Dad, when can we go to Powell?" The biggest change is I have trouble getting the wife to participate in the 0-dark:30 run. My son and I go through the, “no, you go wake her up”

The boys watch "the book" more than regular TV and have a rope/handle set up on the trampoline.

As they were growing up, we made the time investment in activities. They were both on the snow at 3, (wakeboarding at 5) but it took some dedication to get them going. By age 8, they had both learned that the ski runs were used only to get you to the tree runs. Back in the day, I would catch the first chair on my board, ride for 1-2 hours and be back at the condo to change over to skis and grab the kids for family skiing/teaching. We made them ski until age 5, and then they chose boarding. Both now snow board all over the mountain. The 12 year old is now dropping into chutes that make my heart thumb. As the chutes get steeper, I’m finding myself wanting to go back to skiing. Their ideal snowboarding day is now a blizzard that is just light enough to keep the roads open.

Bottom line is my wife and I shared common interests, kept those interests, and exposed our kids to those interests. I’ve always pushed the limits (not exceeded them) so I’ve taught my kids it ok and good to do the same, and they have. I’m still pushing too, but it’s just not as close to the edge as it used to be. I don’t think that’s due to marriage or kids at all. In fact I think that’s what keeps me going.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-17-2006, 10:49 PM Reply   
Steve,

That is an awesome post.. you hit it really close to home to me. Good to hear that is sounds like the kids are basically following in you and your wifes footsteps!
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
59 replies to this post.......hmmmm, there must be a lot of us family first 30, 40, 50 somethings with deep ties to action sports. Makes sense, after all....it's mostly older, career minded people that are the ones buying all these boats and gear.
Why does most of the marketing in wake, snow, skate, moto, bmx, etc...tend to target the 18 year old pot smokers?.....not to knock those guys
I've heard people in this industry question that fact.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-18-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
Fox, I think you already answered your own question. For example, my husband grew up at the dunes riding and and the river skiing, then wakeboarding on equipment his parents bought him. As he grew up, he continued those interests and bought bike, board etc. as he could afford them. When we have our own kids we will buy them the same equipment and then hope we teach them the value of a dollar so that they can continue these activities with their own families as they grow up.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
Mellisa...Yeah to some degree I did answer that, but I guess my point was there are a LOT of crossover family people that found wake later in life.....maybe came from another action sport, maybe not. I can see the legacy thing....like my son asking what the heck a Haro Master is....greatest bmx bike of all time! I found wake through MX and working in that industry, and even though most MX marketing appeals to me because of my background, it doesn't mean that most wake marketing will.

I think action sports marketing should have two directions...the main one that appeals to those kids, and one that convinces the parents that it's cool stuff as well. This post asked "how many have slowed down since wife and kids".....if you slow down your hobbies, you slow down your spending as well. If you're not into wake as you were before or have "slowed down", that 2002 Murray setup can last you a LONG time.
Marketing for us needs to hit two nerves....the STOKE nerve, and the FAMILY nerve.

By the way...not trying to hi-jack this thread and turn it into a marketing debate.....I just think that's part of the puzzle.

Or......maybe not now that I think about it.....more families on the water mean more morons showing up with tubes and less glass!!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Agreed, GREAT POST Steve.

It is what we do as a family. Summers are spent in the boat with family and friends. Spent last weekend with the extended family on the wife's side and friends. Just posted a ton of photos of the event.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/347055.html?1153234894

It seems as I get older, I get more satisfaction from pulling the kids on a tube or getting them up on skis or a wakeboard for the first time, than I do from riding. The smiles and excitement they show is much more rewarding to me at this time in my life.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-18-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
thanks Isaac. Family time is great. We just got back from a week in the Arnold area. Mon, Wed at New Melones, and Friday at Don Pedro. My son is working on his back roll. I finally landed a fs 3, before he landed a back roll. He was kind of pissed and now he's working on the handle pass and says he's going to nail the 3 first then back to the roll. I'm enjoying pushing them for the last couple of years (months?) before they leave me in the dust. My wife is still wondering when / if I will grow up......
Old     (holiday13)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-18-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
I think I may be worse now than before, wife got pregnant and I bought a ski boat and wakeboard more now than ever (still suck but am trying). Went from a recreational offroader in jeeps to a full on competition buggy and am running 2 east coast comp curcuits. Picked up a snowmobile, still snowboard, ski, surf, everything. I still do everything I did before only better, and I have a lot more life insurance!!!!!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-18-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
Big Heavy, I should have added "by unnatural causes" I figured everyone knew what I meant, I guess I was wrong.....My Bad. Either way now that I have kids, their well-being is the most important thing to me. Do you have any kids?
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-18-2006, 11:25 AM Reply   
I have slowed down some since I got married in many ways, but in some ways I have pushed harder. however, it isnt really a product of responsibility, more the drastic changes in my body. I got married at 29, and a few months later, when I turned 30, my body changed, like a lightswitch! I was never much for the weight room but always stayed in excellent shape. I played basketball in college and maintained my vertical leap and running game with minimal effort. I wore 34X36 pants for 10 years! I turned 30, and like a lightswitch I grew to 36X36; I cant run fast; I cant jump. My body hurts for a week after wakeboarding. I get so frustrated in league basketball games when I physically cant do what I have been able to and my brain still instinctively tries to play at that level.

So, I am doing alot less of major impact or high level competition simply because it isnt as fun playing under my standard. I do however kiteboard more than anything. It is more dangerous than being pulled behind the boat, but the ride can be much smoother and easier on the body.

Anyone elses body just take a dive after 30?