Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                08-06-2005, 9:58 PM Reply   
can somebody tell me exactly how to do a tantrum.
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-07-2005, 2:07 PM Reply   
Ok, I'm not the best wakeboarder in the world and I still think, that the Tantrum is a fairly easy trick. I do the tucked version of the trick. Probably the easiest invert of all. Easier than clean and really high W2W jumps. Trust me. Just keep a few things in mind when trying Tantrums: Speed is live! Try to get a lot of air!!! If you don't get the right pop, the crashes can get pretty brutal. Do not take off too early! You'll jump flat and crash badly. Allright, let's go then. Cut out as wide as you can on your toeside (it helps when you cut out hard to get outside further). Wait for like two seconds and concentrate on your cut towards the wake while you slowly put your board on the heelside edge. Take a slightly seated position as you're starting your cut. Bend your knees further into a fully seated position during your cut. Cut in agressively digging your heelside edge in really deep for building LOTS of speed towards the wake. As you reach the wake, let off your edge, square up your shoulders and look towards the shore you came from (practice this many times without the final takeoff before you actually try the trick - just to get a better feel for the right timing). Let the momentum carry you up the wake. Let go with your back hand and put your lead hand with the handle somewhere near your lead shoulder. At the top of the wake, STRAIGHTEN YOUR LEGS to get maximum pop. Don't rush the takeoff! This, along with a good amount of speed, is key to achieve this trick! You want to jump up, not out! As you take off, tilt your head slightly backwards towards the shore you're heading. If you time all this correctly (sounds more complicated than it actually is), you should receive the pop you'll need to come all the way around on the flip. You don't have to worry too much about the rotation, it happens naturally when you set the right cut and take off correctly. The wake will just kick you up in the air and over, and gravity will let the board fall under you for the landing. Landing is the easier part of the trick. I can even close my eyes at the takeoff and feel the landing. It's a good idea to visualize the trick by watching instructionals like "Waketricks" or "The Book". It helps to have a big wake when learning this trick, it will make it so much easier. And again, don't rush the take off! Take off from the top of the wake. Good luck
Old                08-07-2005, 7:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for your help. I will try it the next time I go out.
Old     (ethomass)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-07-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
Kyle first you should just man up and go for it. Dont get scared of the wake because it is bigger than you. Just kidding Kyle but Oliver gave a great explination of how to do a tantrum, so when I'm back from vacation I expect to see some nasty wakeboarding from you.
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-08-2005, 3:48 AM Reply   
Hey Kyle,

just let me know how things went. If you end up crashing or if the handle gets ripped out of your lead hand when landing, try to cut in harder, get your shoulders more parallel to the wake, wait longer for your pop and stand taller as you actually take off. Don't really throw your head back to initiate the rotation. It's enough to slightly tilt it backwards (i.e. the shore you're heading). Remember, you want to jump up, not out! If you follow these steps, you will have it in no time, I promise. Once you land it the first time, do a couple more right away. Try to pop'em higher and rotate'em more slowly. Don't land straight legged. Bend your knees to absorb the shock. Maybe post a video of your efforts, you will always get great feedback in this forum.

Later,
Oli
Old                08-15-2005, 7:10 PM Reply   
hey eric maybe u should man up i havnt see u tryin any tantrums latly. "all im sore my ankel hurts" lol
Old     (ethomass)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-15-2005, 8:36 PM Reply   
Ha, you little pecker. We will when were down in Lake Anna
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-02-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
Hey i dont know if it has been covered but i need some help with my tantrum. I have got my back rolls dialed in and am taking them out into the flats, but i cant get that damn tantrum down. I pop and start to rotate around and it seem like a twist into some kind of a 180. I come down switch. i havent landed one but have come close, but i dont want to land switch. What do u guys think is causing me to rotate?
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-04-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
Blake,
sounds like you don't square your shoulders enough. Also sounds like you do not let go with your back hand for the take off. Don't make the mistake of mixing the Tantrum with the Back Roll! They're completely different tricks which also feel completely different. Read the instructions I gave Kyle above very carefully. Try to find out, what you're doing different. Post a video of your efforts, then I can probably see what's going wrong.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-08-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
well i finally landed the tantrum. it was awesome. what a great feeling. i think my problem was that i wasnt looking straight back when i kicked my head back. if you go to one side you will spin or go off axis. try and kick you head straight back. Good luck everyone, now if i could land a freakin 3