Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    bross            01-14-2004, 10:33 PM Reply   
Lets make a list of the different tricks and who invented them.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-15-2004, 2:25 AM Reply   
don't spose this was inspired by my byerly post? nice one, lets go!!!
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-15-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
Byerly = Pete Rose
Old    martini            01-15-2004, 5:41 PM Reply   
Shane-tootsie roll
McCaffray-whirlybird
kipp-mobydick
weddington-scarecrow
kraut/harrington-offaxis spins
chet raley-raley
gator-hoochie glide
shapiro-speedball,orbital,blind judge
murray-osmosis spins,tweety bird
harris-style
harf-method front to blind
parks-temper tantrum
perez-blender

Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-15-2004, 5:52 PM Reply   
Chris Neelley-faceplant to bloody nose, skate to the nads, big spin to shin split
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-15-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
lmao good one Chris.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-15-2004, 6:55 PM Reply   
Some of this trick inventing stuff gets kind of political--I read that pat Mc elhenny invented the blender but "another rider took credit for it." Anyway, I thought Brannan Johnson invented the moby dick and brannan meek invented the scarecrow. I also thought parks or shaun invented the blind judge. Lastly, collin wright had a hand in the osmosis spins, but I guess shaun was the first to have it in print. Anyway, here are some more in additon to pete's list:

Shaneumdum
Scott: fat chance, slob front to fakie, tantrum to blind, oriental, skeezer,
Darin: x mobe,
Shannon Best: s bend
Parks: Vulcan, 911, half cab double back roll, switch double back mobe
Thomas: Hasselhoff
weddington: fruit loop
Murray: egg roll, square raley,(switch? I can't remember) frontflip backside 360
Perez: tantrum?
Kovak: mobius, slowball,
zane: cockandballs, discombublator
Harris: Remix,
Harf: blind pete
cory pickos: patroit missle (toeside backroll to blind)
Necrasson and Seibring: KGB
Ruck: His ole mobe
Hickman: wrecking ball
Brendel: Diesel
Davis: big wurm

I think that's enough--that takes a lot of thinking. Feel free to correct if necessary. Late
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-15-2004, 8:41 PM Reply   
Someone's gotta invent a trick called the
"Joey Battafucco"
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-15-2004, 11:30 PM Reply   
the Battafucco is already a trick, 911 to fakie.
Parks was the first to land the blind judge, just before Murray.
Yep Colin Wright did the backside osmosis 3 a while before Murray did his 5, he wanted to premier the trick in his video, but Murray got his printed just before it came out.
Don't forget Zanes 'slurpy' and Froggies 'whirly dick'
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-16-2004, 2:49 AM Reply   
surely parks on the switch double back 360 and the first 1080? altho maybe not invented all these moves must've come from gymnastics so he must get credit for those?????
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-16-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
almost every move comes from gimnastics, i was told the Whirlybird is called "the arabian" or something like that.
Old    martini            01-16-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
electricsnow's list is legit...better than mine...i think your right about meek...but keith kipp was the first rider to land the moby dick circa '97
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-16-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
That's cool pete. Like I said, some of this stuff gets kind of political (I thought I had heard about brannan on tv and he never denied it). ANyway, the cockandballs is the original name for the slurpee--I just couldn't remember "slurpe" or I would have typed that. And parks' double flips are listed. Also, it might be interesting to include that doug homan claimed that he landed the double front before darin (they were both working on them) but he got screwed over. Anyway, it's just something to keep in mind--as I said, this can get quite political. Here are a few more I thought of:

Gregg:Elephant, shifty 5 (you can't really invent a spin, but it was sort of a signature move for him).
Shaun: bel air, bel air to blind, crow mobe 5, whirly 5, wrapped kgb 5
Darin: I believe he was doing double backs before anyone else (1997), or that's what the magazine said.
kovak: mobe 5

If you guys do a web search, I 'm sure you could find a lot more stuff on tricks and their inventors. Wakeboarder.com has a pretty good list.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-16-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   
Doug Homan man now thats a name i haven't thought about in a long time.
I always felt bad because he tried to soon to come back from the knee injury and then blew it out again then after that healed he blew the other out, wasn't it wakeskateing?
Remember byerly doing that huge elephant in I think spray raising his arm like a trunk almost making fun of greg who was driving the boat.
Didn't darin invent the skeezer?

Memories Like the corner of my mind.

ITCH
GB's got this on lockdown

(Message edited by fullonsalesgrp on January 16, 2004)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-16-2004, 5:44 PM Reply   
I'm not totally sure how he blew all of his knees out, but I remember him wakeskating while trying to rehab his knee. I also remember being impressed with the way he could edge on a wakeboard, like he seriously had a powerful cut from like five feet out. He also had a rather amusing interview in "Launch."

I'm quite sure byerly invented the skeezer during his five new tricks a month rampage (for "hit it"). Perhaps darin was the one to do the trick regular, because a skeezer is a switch crow mobe (you know, one of like five tricks that has a different name for regular and switch).
Old    wakeskate247            01-16-2004, 6:08 PM Reply   
parks didnt invent the wakejump but he sure holds the record for longest wake to wake jump, 50 FEET!!!!!
Old    hyperliterider3            01-16-2004, 6:22 PM Reply   
what is the trick that andrew adkinson do that is a raley suicied. i mean what is the name
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-16-2004, 10:47 PM Reply   
What about a Trump?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-16-2004, 10:56 PM Reply   
Yep, Byerly was the first to land the skeezer.

Now who remembers the X-mobe (switch pete rose) I think it was Darin who first did it?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-16-2004, 10:57 PM Reply   
Kovak- Air Mobe- Switch Air Mobe- Air Mobe 5
Old    buttacup            01-17-2004, 3:12 PM Reply   
I think Harris stole one of Kristian's tricks but can't remember which one
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-17-2004, 6:04 PM Reply   
Did they name it the Pete Rose because it was such a "gamble"?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-17-2004, 7:24 PM Reply   
no supposedly it's named that way because there's a tendency to come up short on it and fall out the front headfirst - like pete rose sliding into base.

an air mobe 5? i'd like to see that!
Old    lachlantait            01-17-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
mark kenny- 1080

also how come parks does his double back mobe, in switch stance? wouldnt it be eaiser regular or is his switch now his regular? if that makes sense

(Message edited by lachlantait on January 17, 2004)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-17-2004, 10:23 PM Reply   
Wakeboarders didn't invent 1080's. Anyway, are you sure mark was the first to do a 1080? Parks did one sometime in 1999 and it was actually done switch, which is a nice segway into your switch comment. For some reason, some pros have some tricks that they are stronger at while riding switch, with the most common example being the switch frontflip for shaun and parks. I think it has to do with missing a chromosome or something...
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-17-2004, 11:11 PM Reply   
i actually asked the same question awhile ago on these boards about parks' 1080 - switch ts is imo the hardest edge and i have incredible respect for anyone who can pull of any switch ts trick. to do trick like the 1080 switch? insane.

but with park's double back mobe i wouldn't say it's the result of the missing chromosome effect. i believe parks did his double-back regular first (at least from what i've seen of vids that seems to be the case). i don't know if he ever did the double-back to fakie regular as i've only seen the switch version. and i've never seen him do a switch double-back, just the revert version.

chef, do you know how his progression on this went?

it's funny, but the more i read about and talk to pros, the more idiosyncratic their abilities seem. i started out thinking all the pros could do all the basic tricks. i've done a hs front. it's weird to think i could do a trick parks can't (although he can do it switch which i haven't tried...yet!). it's almost more interesting to ask a pro what trick they can't do. when was the last time you saw darin to do a whirly-bird?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-17-2004, 11:25 PM Reply   
Christopher- Kovaks air mobe 5 is in "Flyin' High"
Lynsey- Thanks you for rubbing it in,
Parks did the temper tantrum first, in like 1997-1998, then did the double back (not switch). Then he started doing his, half-cab double back roll (I think he does it switch because it end up having a similar rotation to the temper tantrum), so why learn it the other way, he has switch mobes fine, so I guess he just made the double mobe a continuation of the half-cab double.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-18-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
Hoochie Glide: Gator
Flavor Flip: Mike Wedington
411: Rob Ried
Orbitalarin shapiro
Mexican Roll: Andrea Gaytan
S-bend 720: Andy Owings
90210: Mark Macnamara (SP)
Method vulcan: Mark Kenny
Spiderman: Ricky Gonzalez

Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-19-2004, 6:45 PM Reply   
Yeah, everyone first saw that tempur tantrum at the 1997 x games, and the first time he landed it was at the indy tour stop of that same year (It was an amazing moment). Chris, I have not tracked the progression of the double back to the halfcab double back to the switch double mobe (I think it's switch--I can't remember at this point). I think the last time I've seen parks do a double back roll was sometime in 1998.

Yeah, it's funny how pros brain fart sometimes. When I first got into wakeboarding, I was all about trying to learn EVERY trick, which included tumble turns (quit laughing, this was 1996). I figured that the pros could do everything, so I wanted to do everything as well. But they are human and have weaknesses, so...
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-19-2004, 6:59 PM Reply   
lol chef. i've never even tried a tumble turn so i can't impugn you for it. the double mobe (can we really call it that?), is switch. he just progressed the halfcab double.