Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-06-2014, 7:20 AM Reply   
While out this weekend the gauges on my Pro-V stopped working ( gas, volts, temp, oil pressure). Can't for the life of me find a fusebox or inline fuse. Can anyone steer me in the right direction before i take it to a mechanic? I'd hate to pay 200 bucks for a 5 minute fuse replacement.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-06-2014, 8:47 AM Reply   
There should be an inline fuse going to your MDC on the hot wire under the helm somewhere, gotta look for it. Chances are it is ziptied & bundled in the wiring harness so it may take a bit to find it.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-06-2014, 9:57 AM Reply   
Yeah no kidding. My big a$$ under there with heater stuff footrest and all the other crap is not a good place to be. I'm sure ill find in eventually, of course now its 90+ degrees here in GA. Couldn't happen last week when it was overcast and 75.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-06-2014, 12:05 PM Reply   
Will probably be easier to move the foot rest & heater to the side so you can get up in there. On my Bu I would just unscrew the footrest & turn the thing with the heater to the right so I could crawl on under
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-08-2014, 7:57 AM Reply   
I get power to my gauges, how can i test for signal or test the gauge? Its a 4 in 1.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-08-2014, 8:18 AM Reply   
You can open your dash & hook up the 4-1 to the working gauge connection. 4-1 gauge is known to have problems. Check all your grounds, I mean everyone & clean terminals. Check your cannon plug at the back of the motor, known problems. My 4-1 showed incorrect temp & going through all the connections fixed that. Now my oil pressure works at first start up then after first shut off shows lower & lower w/ each shut off / restart till finally not working every outing. Waiting on quote from Medallion for new gauge. Here is the trouble shooting guide from Medallion

http://www.wakeflot.ru/doc/MedallionII_Troubleshoot.pdf
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-08-2014, 9:04 AM Reply   
My speedo doesn't work either ( have stargazer so i didnt really pay attention to that). Does this steer me more towards the MDC. If i have power at the gauges but no signal shouldn't that mean i've got power TO the MDC. Still can't find any dang fuses.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-08-2014, 9:21 AM Reply   
Find your hot wire at the MDC & trace it back to find the fuse. Also test with an ohm meter to see if you have power. Have you checked your safety laynard? Big culprit of dead gauges. Do you have a tachometer on your dash? Is that working? How do you know you have power at the gauges? If you mean because star gazer works they are not connected to the same source. Find that fuse & go from there
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-08-2014, 9:43 AM Reply   
I know the stargazer is on a diff source, i was just saying that i didnt really notice the speedo not working cause i just look at the PP. Not sure what all the MDC controls ( not near the boat at this moment) The water and air temp works, the depth gauge works. I also dont have a safety lanyard.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-08-2014, 9:47 AM Reply   
If you have the Medallion it only controls the 4 in 1, the tachometer & the stock speedometer
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-08-2014, 9:52 AM Reply   
The PP gets an RPM reading, does it come from the MDC? Sorry for all the questions...and i really appreciate the help. IM supposed to be working, but this is important..lol
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbilly View Post
The PP gets an RPM reading, does it come from the MDC?
No, the Perfect Pass gets its tach signal before the MDC. I'm about to get rid of my MDC and Medallion gauges on my mastercraft and go to a traditional, independent set of gauges. I'm tired of dealing with gauge issues and it's too expensive/unreliable to replace the MDC or the special gauges.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-08-2014, 10:03 AM Reply   
Jeff, what do you use in place of the MDC? I too am tired of chasing issues with the medallion set up.

Bill, I know how that goes, I go into panic mode when things are not working. My money is on it being the fuse at this point. Find it. Find the hot wire on your MDC, work backwards
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2014, 10:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
Jeff, what do you use in place of the MDC?
Nothing. The MDC just gathers data from the standardized senders on the engine and fuel tank, translates it into some sort of serial data, and drops it on a "bus" addressed for a particular gauge (i.e. oil pressure, fuel level, tach, etc) where it is displayed to the user. It's an electronic "middle man" and from what I've been able to gather it is just easier to install on an assembly line but there is no benefit to the consumer vs. a conventional, independent set of gauges.

There's a little bit of good info on my thread here:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=60338

I'm waiting to spend money until next month but I should be able to confirm that everything is working then. All of my research and testing indicates that all of the senders on my boat are standardized american marine senders that should work fine with standard off the shelf gauges. i.e. Oil Pressure = 240 ohms at 0 PSI through 33.5 ohms at 80 PSI, Fuel Sender =240 ohms full through 33.5 ohms empty, voltage=voltage and there is no sender, etc. I'll hack off the connector that plugs into the MDC and wire each sender directly to its corresponding gauge eliminating the "middle man" and making things much easier to troubleshoot and repair in the future.

Last edited by Jeff; 05-08-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2014, 10:25 AM Reply   
BTW from what I've heard most MDC failures are due to water from the pitot tube (for the speedo) freezing and cracking something inside the MDC. After it's cracked the ice then melts and gets on the electronics. If it didn't fail from just the small volume of water from the melted ice it will certainly fail the next time you're under way and water is pushed up the pitot tube and onto the electronics of your MDC. So, MDC failures at the beginning of spring are pretty common.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-08-2014, 10:43 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. Ill be under there tomorrow afternoon. I play golf on Thursday afternoons. If i get done early today ill see if i can get under there tonight.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-08-2014, 5:07 PM Reply   
Ok...so i get home and do some closer examination and my MDC is cracked and the connection where the pitot tubes connect is all busted. Do i have to use the MDC? And it has an identical plug going into it that plugs into my gauges, what exactly is the purpose of the MDC and would this plug work in the gauges?
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-08-2014, 5:08 PM Reply   
I guess i want to know if I'll fry my gauges if i plug the MDC plug into them?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2014, 5:24 PM Reply   
I wouldn't plug the gauges back in if the mdc is know to be bad. Sounds like water froze in it. Replace it or replace all of the gauges with regular ones. Fwiw the depth sounder typically isn't integrated into the mdc so you wouldn't have to replace that one.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2014, 5:25 PM Reply   
And yes, you have to use the mdc unless you want to swap in more standard gauges in place of the proprietary Medallion gauges. If you're going that route most of the Faria line will probably work and they start around $170 for a 6 gauge set.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-08-2014, 5:34 PM Reply   
Can i just clamp off the Pitots since i have the stargazer or does the MDC need that input?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2014, 5:41 PM Reply   
Yes, you can disconnect/plug or disconnect the pitot but the damage to the mdc electronics is already done. The time to do that would have been last season. I doubt it would "fry" the gauges if you plug them back in but they probably just won't work.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-08-2014, 5:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbilly View Post
Can i just clamp off the Pitots since i have the stargazer or does the MDC need that input?
You do not need the pitots if perfpectpass is your speedometer. Cut them off. You still might be lucky & only need to replace the fuse. But if your MDC is cracked it may sound like you got water. If you need to replace it is going to run $200.00. Find that fuse first though
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2014, 5:44 PM Reply   
And the pricing I've seen on MDCs is closer to $300 for new. You can get them for less used but they're so finicky I'd be hesitant to spend much on a used one.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-08-2014, 5:45 PM Reply   
I see the MDC's for sale at bakes for 290 bucks. (mine is a 20008-01 $89 dollar upcharge). Is the 2##### specifically important? Theres one here http://greatlakesskipper.com/medalli...gauge-computer
but its a 20015
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2014, 5:50 PM Reply   
If all of your gauges worked to your satisfaction prior to the mdc failure then I'd just replace the mdc. If you had gauge problems leading up to this then I'd trash the whole medalion system and put in some normal gauges. I have the latter so I'm replacing all of the gauges. It's cheaper and should be mo' betta in the end.

Last edited by Jeff; 05-08-2014 at 5:55 PM.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-08-2014, 5:57 PM Reply   
Never had any issues before last time out, guess its MDC order time. Thanks for all the help Jeff if your ever in Georgia holla i owe you a frost cold beverage.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2014, 6:01 PM Reply   
I couldn't tell you on what the interchangeability of the various mdc part numbers would be. It would be nice if you could snag the $200 one rather than the $290 but you'd have to research that further.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2014, 6:06 PM Reply   
And definitely don't reconnect the pitot tube to the new one if you don't use the speedo. Be sure to plug it up in some manner unless you want a stream of water under your dash the next time you take the boat out. If you do reconnect the pitot be sure to disconnect it in the winter to let the water out of the mdc.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-08-2014, 6:07 PM Reply   
Just FYI, you're still gonna have to find that fused wire to install your new MDC. At least find that & check the fuse before you spend the money on a new MDC, even though it looks like that is where you're headed
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2014, 6:14 PM Reply   
To determine if you need to keep hunting for a fuse/breaker probe pin 1 (I think it's usually the red wire) on the 18 pin mdc connector with the other probe on your multimeter touched to ground. If you see 12 volts then you don't have a fuse blown or a breaker tripped. If you don't see 12 volts then you may indeed have a power issue upstream.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-08-2014, 6:14 PM Reply   
I have power to the MDC checked the plug according to the wiring PDF link above.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-08-2014, 6:15 PM Reply   
I owe you a beer too Jack.