Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (scott88)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-04-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
Hey I'm interested in building my own boat and am looking for a good hull design, I'm leaning turds the mastercraft X-Star or X-2 but I have no clue how to find plans. So if any of you know where I mite look or know of a similar design would be cool
Old    bocephus            09-04-2007, 8:10 PM Reply   
You are not going to be able to find plans of an X-Star or X-2 or any other major manufacturers boats. A common practice in the industry is to do something called a splash, which involves taking a mold of an existing hull and deck. This was heavily done in the '70's and '80's but has somewhat died out on a commercial scale due to stricter patent laws, easier enforcement, etc... Most builders treat their molds and even plans with high regard, even on outdated hulls. Some builders do sell of their molds though and more than often when they do exchange hands they are sold through the dissolution of a company, usually through bankruptcy.

I know that Correct Craft is currently going after an Australian company for splashing the old 210.

Why are you trying to build your own boat? It will most likely cost you more to build your own than it would to buy one.

Probably the best source of boat building information that the common person has that follows this and other related forums is Chris Anthony of Epic Boats. He can be found on here and on myspace. He is very candid and I believe that depending on your motivations that he would probably help you or at least set you on the right track.

Anyhow, I hope that helps! I have ten chapters to study for tomorrows test so you are on your own from here...

Ryan

(Message edited by bocephus on September 04, 2007)
Old    walt            09-04-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   

quote:

I'm leaning turds

Old     (scott88)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-04-2007, 8:39 PM Reply   
that is a little helpful the reason i want to building my own boat is mainly for the experience something i did not mention was i wanted to build it out of aluminum and a boat like that would be a lot of weld time

to wcw(walt), sorry I'm a metal worker not a speller, I'll pay more attention to spell check next time
Old    walt            09-04-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
No worries Brenton and thanks for the laugh.
Old     (scott88)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-04-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
No prob Any time
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-04-2007, 9:09 PM Reply   
Brenton, build a scale model that you can play with in a creek or river. Less welding and easier to haul around. A guy in Brazil built his own out of steel and there are threads on it here somewhere in the archive.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-05-2007, 4:59 AM Reply   
Why not just buy the aztec moulds. Would save you a ton of hassle.

I think CC are actually going after the company Victoria boats from Cordoba, Argentina for copying both the 210 hull and the 91-96 ski nautique hull.

(Message edited by jayc on September 05, 2007)
Old    bocephus            09-05-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
Here you go, one steel wakeboarding boat...

Free Rider
Old     (scott88)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-05-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
Yeah i had seen that article and Evan emailed Fabio Ely and he gave some good suggestions but i still don't know enough about hydro dynamics to design my boat from scratch
Old     (highdyner)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-05-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
Options (the legal ones)

Option 1: Pay a naval architect to design a hull/ structural arrangement for you. ($$$$$$)

Option 2: Start reading about planing hull theory and hydrodynamics (and structures, if necessary) and design your own.
Old    bocephus            09-05-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
Option 3: Get Chris Anthony or someone else in the industry to give you the basics.

Option 4: Just go and copy someone's hull by measuring an existing boat. No one is going to sue you if you do if for personal use. Most likely you won't be close enough to sue anyhow...

Option 5: Get a copy of SolidWorks or other CAD software and see what happens.
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-05-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
read up on hydrodynamics. Bernoulli's equation is a good start. Then design a hull in CAD. If you want to get fancy about it, download a CFD code or PANEL Code and start analyzing the wake drag and lift characteristics. Then you get send the CAD data to a cnc machine and build a some molds off that.

here are some pictures of a hull I made and was playing around with a while back.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (scott88)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-05-2007, 8:05 PM Reply   
Wow these are some great suggestions i posted in another forum specifically for boat building and all i got from them was to find a junked hull and build from there, all your thoughts should give me a good start, thank you all vary much
Old     (highdyner)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-06-2007, 5:41 AM Reply   
Option 6 - Convince an Nav. Arch student at Webb or Michigan or UNO to do a thesis on 'wake boat theory' and build whatever they come up with...
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-06-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
Miles...what software are you using to do that analysis? That's some pretty cool stuff. Back when I was in school, some grad students in my department were working on stuff like that. Gotta love hydro stuff.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-06-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
I think CC was kind of cool on Victoria because they were using a pretty outdated model, I met the guy doing those boats last year, the boat runs pretty nice but is sort of cheap built/finished.

There's also another Argentinian company doing "pro boats" They copied a 1997 MC Prostar 190, the boat is known as "Skywake X20", they have built/sold around 12 boats and will present an extended V.drive open bow version this month, wich will be like a Prostar 205. They are also trying to enter the brazilian market. These ones at least are decently built. (www.skywake.com.ar)

If anyone wants to build pro boats down here shoot an email!!!!
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-06-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
Brandon, that was done in star-ccm+ which is made by CD-adapco. I used to work for them and was helping develop the 6 DOF free surface model for that code. It is super fun to look at all that stuff for sure.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
that boat that the dude built out of a steel hull, isnt that heavy as hell?? as in too heavy?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-06-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
Too heavy!!! HAHAHAHAHA we sack out our boats with 3k of additional weight... heavy and deeep in the water is what wakeboarding is all about.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
thats true tyler, got me there!
Old    bocephus            09-06-2007, 4:41 PM Reply   

quote:

By Chase Andrew (wakeboardnut) on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 1:53 pm:

that boat that the dude built out of a steel hull, isnt that heavy as hell?? as in too heavy?

Read Archimedes'Principle!!!
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy

im on it