Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       12-26-2003, 1:49 PM Reply   
Who do you respect more?

1) A wakeboarder that rips and absolutely kills it but he or she does not have any responsibilities to worry about (job, bills etc...) and has mommy and daddy to cover everything (boat,gas etc...)

or

2) A wakeboarder that rips but not quite as good, although he or she has responsibilities and has a job, bills, etc.....

Just curious.

Old    pans210            12-26-2003, 1:51 PM Reply   
I respect wakeboarders regardless of responsibilities, as long as their attitudes are good.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-26-2003, 2:08 PM Reply   
I agree with Ryan. One's attitude goes a lot farther than one's ability.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old    stormrider            12-26-2003, 2:32 PM Reply   
Big picture: I'd rather create a good vibe on the boat with a limited trick list but have a 100k plus a year job than create a good vibe with a killer trick list and wait tables!

Small picture: riders that float up their with great style I like better than those who can throw invert after invert but look too much like they're always "muscleing" out the trick.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-26-2003, 2:49 PM Reply   
Good post Steven.
Old    nooner            12-26-2003, 5:28 PM Reply   
I think the orginal question "Respect"

I respect anyone that respects me. I dont like moochers. I have friends that dont have what I have but they are just as good a friend as the ones that have more. I respect them for respecting me and my stuff. I dont care what they do or make. I dont think respect has anything to do with how good a person rides
Old    whitechocolate            12-26-2003, 10:52 PM Reply   
I Respect any rider named "Poon"
Old    yearling            12-27-2003, 9:12 AM Reply   
I respect people that have respect for the sport. I dont care what their life status is. I mean the reason that we all wakeboard is for fun isnt it? I respect riders that pump each other up no matter how good they are.
Old    eyesman            12-27-2003, 9:39 AM Reply   
if ~18 or older ---> 2)
Old     (goth2o)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-27-2003, 6:31 PM Reply   
its all about attitude, I agree!

Either one is fine, as long as I get respect back

I have friends that are both.

And the #1 friends , half the time you wouldnt even know it because they were brought up right and are respectful to all.

Old    wakeboard_iraq            12-28-2003, 12:53 PM Reply   
I like Luis' response. Respect, to me, is much deeper than the ability to ride. I respect pro's like Murray and Shapiro b/c they make it a living and work at it every day (like most riders). I respect people that live good lives through hard work regardless of what they do for a living. I have no respect for people that dont work hard at whatever they are doing yet somebody else is giving them the means to live.

I respect riders that have a good time - I dont care if they can throw huge tricks or not. Its all about being in the boat....

Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-28-2003, 6:58 PM Reply   
Grant couldnt have said it better. I respect anyone that is making a living. And i have been on a boat with people that cant get up that i respect more than some people i know that can through mobes and 7's. Good positive attitude will most likely get you respect anywhere
Old    tfdhyprider            12-28-2003, 6:59 PM Reply   
yeah andrew adkison not only rips but hes got prolly the best attitude on and off the water out of anyone in the industry. I respect him a whole lot.. AND murray very much a like
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-28-2003, 7:14 PM Reply   
riding is about havin fun and enjoying the life style, not about worrying weather someone respects you or not. by the way, what up with you arun. you never return my calls
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-28-2003, 7:28 PM Reply   
Number 2
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-28-2003, 8:42 PM Reply   
#2. Also, the rider that always has fun. You know, the one with the big smile on his/her grill.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-29-2003, 9:23 AM Reply   
to be fair if u can make a living off boarding then whos the one with the advantage!!

don't think its about respect, more about whos the lucky b****rd. thats the way i see it.

i've got a decent degree etc so should hopefully land a fairly good job, but would still wish that i could board all the time, much like the pros.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-29-2003, 2:47 PM Reply   
i think it's a mistake to "respect" someone purely because of their abilities on a board - regardless if that ability was obtained on the 'rents money or their own.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-29-2003, 3:32 PM Reply   
I respect people who create for themselves. i mean i can't dog someone for being rich. but i think if someone makes it on their own then they have a certain quality of ethic that can be very appealing in most other facets of life. I like to think that we learn from experience how to deal with many different situations. In terms of wakeboarding, I am very jealous, I know that if I had all the time in the world I could be a better rider, which is what i want more than anything in the world. School and work has prevented my water time dramatically, but I know that to get that boat I need a degree to pay for the toys and family to follow. Good topic Arun!