Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-30-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
There has been quite a discussion in regards to this. First off I want to thank those who put all the effort into testing and reporting back on this. But times as they are I couldn't see spending the money even on the "budget" lights. So I went searching for another alternative.

What I discovered are Sylvania DOT IT H20 lights. These are small 3 LED lights that are completely waterproof and battery operated.

I purchased 2 and mounted them to the bottom of my swim platform bracket arms with velcro pointing straight back.

Off to the lake. And I am completely happy with the performance. They light up the water quite well. Much better than I could have imagined. I would say about 10 to 15 feet back and several feet down.

As Grant can attest to taking pictures of lights in the dark is a challenge and unfortunately I fared no better so I don't have any pictures.

For my application they work quite well and are very inexpensive about $25 for a pair. Plus you don't have to drill any holes in the boat. Downside is you have to reach into the water to turn them on and off. We have been out twice with them and left them on all night and they are still going so over 20 hours on continuously.

Before you ask I did not run the boat with them velcro'd on I just attached them when we got to the cove. I have to figure out how to mount them permanently.

Might not be for everyone but I thought I would throw it out there for use frugal minded people.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-30-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
So where did you pick these up? Would be interesting dock lighting for a party or a Saturday night on our beach.
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-30-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
Here you go. They come in white, black, yellow and green.

http://bulbamerica.com/OSRAM-SYLVANIA-DOT-IT-H2O-Black-Waterproof-LED-light-4021-prod.htm?category_id=
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-30-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
I just ran over to our local Menards and picked up a few of these at $6.94 a piece... For the price it's worth a shot!! (Menards is a midwest store, but if you have a Home Depot or Lowes nearby, I bet they would have them).
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-30-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
Charlie let me know what you think. I am interested in your feedback. I may pick up another pair and point them to the right and the left off the platform for more coverage.

I checked Lowes and home depot here and they did not have them. They had the none water proof ones. I could only find them online.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-30-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
Sure thing. As soon as I get a chance to test them at night I'll post about them. I think I'll just use some double stick tape and attach them to the hull under the platform. They'll be easy enough to get off if I decide I don't like them. To turn them on, you should just have to reach under there and tap the cover.
Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-30-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
Sounds like it's worth a shot. I probably only use my boat at night twice a year so I don't want to spend tons of money on lights.
Here's their site!
http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Consumer/Luminaires/DOT_-_it_Friends/DOT_-_it/DOT_-_it_waterproof/index.html

I'm going to try to find some locally for this weekend.
(Lowe's, Home Depot, Orchard, Ace, Etc...)
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-30-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
I would just get a good double sided adhesive, or use an epoxy type glue. If its on the platform brackets, you can always scrape it off if you remove them
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-30-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
That's my plan.... good 3M double sided adhesive. I'll stick them directly to the hull. they will peel off if I ever need them off, and the adhesive will come off with some Hi-Solv or other solvent.
Old     (dpolen)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-30-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestion, just picked up a few at Menards...I needed some lights in the boat storage compartments as well.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Charlie and Doug - did you buy the Sylvania's that are linked above at Menards? I was there last night - didn't see any waterproof ones.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-01-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
Yes, they had the waterproof ones and the non-waterproof ones right next to eachother. The Buffalo Menards only had 3 of the waterproof ones in stock, and I bought them all.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-01-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
I just picked two of them up on Amazon for $7.95 each. Shipping was $9. Looks like they are shiping from Bulb America which is funny because if you go to Bulb Amaerica's website they are more expensive and shipping was slightly higher as well.

Can't wait to give them a try!
Old     (dpolen)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-01-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
I bought the Sylvania ones linked to above. Maple Grove, MN Menards only had them in Yellow, but were only $6.94. They had several of them in stock. I figured it really didn't make a difference what color they were since they wouldn't be in plain sight...I would rather have had the black.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-09-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
I picked up two from Amazon. Does anyone know what you are supposed to do with the ring of velcro that is on the inside of the housing?
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
Adam,
The velcro is for mounting them.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-09-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
I've used the DOT-IT H2O lights for over a year in all my lockers and they do work good. The velcro sucks though so if you use velcro get some Rough Surface Vecro Extreme from Home Depot and that keeps them from vibrating off.
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
Would love to see some pictures
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-09-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
I have two of the blue 3-LED livewell / underwater lights. Had to drill two 1.25" holes through the hull, then installed with 3M 5200, and spliced into the anchor light wires. They dont produce a hugely bright aura, but its enough of a glow to notice while the boat is docked, or to illuminate the churned up water at night. At 22 bucks or so each, theyre a great budget option.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Truck-Trailer-Parts-Depot_LED-Livewell-Lights_W0QQ_fsubZ391467018QQ_sidZ130042618QQ_trksi dZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

(Message edited by GuitsBoy on July 09, 2009)