Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-18-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
Is anyone using these on the water? On the 4th July We went to the lake house on Tyler lake, it was the first time for me to take the boat there. So I took my gps out of my Jeep and stuck it in the boat. I used this last year sailing in Kahana Bay/Hawaii on my friends boat. It was sweet, knowing where you were going and where you could go. I didn't know Tyler lake at all so I took the gps and it was fricken awsome! I reset my original speedos, it showed me the whole lake on the screen , where I was and where I could go, and greatly helped me at night time by following my daytime routes on where I had been earlier. and that started me thinking?? Why do i need these old UNRELIABLE speedos? One of them usually gets a air bubble and stops working half way through the run and Im constantly resetting them. "why not pull them out and install the gps?? Its only $200 and does everything and more? I think Im going to pull my old speedos and install another gps. What do you think? I think its pretty effin cool! JetUpload

(Message edited by andrewjet on July 18, 2009)
Old    shooter_08            07-18-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
I think that dash is pretty effin cool. Do you work for Knight industries? Where is the turbo boost button?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-18-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
gps does not respond quick enough for my needs.
Old     (csmsk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-18-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
"gps does not respond quick enough for my needs."

What do you mean?

I use a Garmin GPSmap 430 on the Sacramento Delta. It charts in real time, gives accurate speed info by the second, and lets me see the underwater contour so I can avoid shallow spots BEFORE my depth finder sees them. It gives me true photo quality graphics when I want them, full information of marinas, docks, restaurants, etc. on the water, and even has tidal information so I know if I'll be able to make it under the Orwood train tressle without dropping my tower. I've found numerous coves and chill spots on many lakes that I never knew were there. There are so many things I love about this GPS that I could go on and on. I would definately recommend one and don't understand how it wouldn't "respond quick enough for my needs."

Just my $.02

Upload

Upload
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-18-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
Keep in mind, if you have any current at all (river) the speed will be relative to the land around you, not the water.
Great idea for navigating unknown waters though. Would be very useful houseboating on a large lake like Powell.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-18-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
I was thinking it looked like a fighter jet cockpit!

I've used my handheld at Powell. works great in the open. Takes the guesswork out of finding Dangling Rope when the water level fluctuates so much from year to year. No more hoping you have the correct buoy.
Old     (todd34)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-18-2009, 9:00 PM Reply   
I don't leave the dock without mine. I just like knowing exactly where I am. The speed issue is the least of my concerns.
I loaded chart data for the area and although it isn't a depth finder, it helps me keep clear of areas where I might run aground.

Todd
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-18-2009, 9:27 PM Reply   
I've used my Magellan that is usually in my truck the last couple of times out. The speed is accurate and I use it to while wakeboarding to keep at 22 miles per hour. I just ordered PP stargazer and can't wait until I get it in. No more having to watch speed and Rpm's
Old     (ghind)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-19-2009, 12:53 AM Reply   
Normally, GPS is too slow to use for skiing and boarding. It only updates once per second and this is too slow, you can't drive well when you are that much behind. Perfect Pass updates 5 times per second, this is great.

Also you can make your airguides more responsive if you wish. see http://www.airguide.com.au/index.php?p=1_4 scroll down and look at "what about those brass tubes"
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
Someone needs to tell Perfect pass and Zero off
that GPS is just tooo slow

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/717261.html?1248041069

Old     (csmsk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-19-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
Yeah.... I've not had any problems with speed while boarding in the two years that I've had my GPS. Regardless, that's certainly not the only reason why I love my Garmin!!!
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-19-2009, 9:09 PM Reply   
I am using my Garmin 760 GPS and it works great. I change it to the mode where you can see the speedo in full screen. My boat doesn't have perfect pass and the speedo is not accurate at the slower speeds below 20mph.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-20-2009, 6:14 AM Reply   
I live on a lake, and use mine all the time, especially at nite. It's very easy for me to let someone else drive me boat at nite, and tell them to follow the "line"

$150, small , portable, and backlit, it's all I needed.

Upload
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-20-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
NICE..Chris V. Good points on the shallows. Jet
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-25-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
> I use a Garmin GPSmap 430

Chris V,

When I saw your photos, for a second I thought it was my boat. That looks identical to my setup with the same GPS. I like the Garmin 430, other than the fact that the GFS 10 fuel sensor I bought with it does not work (always reads about 26 GPH).
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-25-2009, 9:31 AM Reply   
adam that's a cool setup you got there
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-25-2009, 5:33 PM Reply   
Another feature of having a GPS is you can play your music though it to the stereo. I have a USB hook up in the boat, so I haven't really used it this way, but in our car and truck, I use it. My GPS has a card reader that I download the music to and then play it with the FM transmitter built in. Works great.
Old     (ghind)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-26-2009, 12:07 AM Reply   
Kevin

Perfect Pass's GPS system updates 5 times per second. Zero off uses GPS overlayed with accelerometers to get many more updates than that (A bit like VBOX for racing cars). Perfect Pass slalom mode is still RPM driven as this updates much faster, but 5 times per second it checks/calibrates back against the GPS. I don't know all the details of zero but I suspect it is similar. 5 times per second is called 5hz

These systems are absolutely fast enough for skiing.

But a standard 1hz GPS is a pig to try to drive speed with for anybody that is picky. Way, way too slow.
Old     (csmsk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-26-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
John,

Thanks for the GFS 10 info. I've been thinking of adding that, but I guess I'll hold off.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-26-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
Who doesn't have a cell phone with GPS these days? Plus with many phones you can add in an app for tides if that affects where you go boating.

For navigation on the water I have a Garmin chart plotter with depth sounder and wished I would have had one of these when I first started going to the Sacramento Delta. Maps work well enough, but with blue charts you can get an even better idea where you are in relation to a deeper channel and which sloughs to stay out of. They will even give you an overhead aerial photograph. Even at the lake it is nice to know where you are in relation to the end of a finger. For the ocean it is mandatory, at least around here.
Old     (chestech)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-26-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
Chris V.

Cool setup. For the Garmin GPSmap 430 did you install the transducer as well?
Old     (csmsk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-26-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
Thanks.

No, I didn't think I needed it. Boat has depth finder. I don't fish!!!

I did buy the 3g Blue card for my area. Awesome detail and info.
Old     (chestech)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-26-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
^^^^^

Thanks. So for your install you mounted it and hooked up power? Nothing else special?
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-26-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
Just keep in mind when buying the chart plotter that you need to verify your lake map is available. I wanted to get that, but my lake is not available yet. Very cool to have though if yours is available. I like the newer ones that have 3-d capability. Shows you in 3-d what is below you. Would have saved my insurance company a whole lot of money last year if I had one of those. Poor outdrive.
Old     (csmsk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-26-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
Chester,
That's it. Ran power from an unused acc. switch on the dash. Nothing else. Built in antenna and everything. About a two beer job including mounting!!!