Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (fastrd400)      Join Date: May 2009       07-07-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
It seems everytime I go out there are several knuckleheads ahead of me that launch and then tie their boat to the dock as they go park and then make the trek back. Each boat has at least 4 other people on it. Why can't these guys let and or teach someone else to drive their boats or park their truck and trailer?

Sunday I had a guy in front of me with a pontoon boat get his trailer backed down the ramp to the water (not in) and then proceed to hop out and inflate 3 large towables while sitting on his butt taking up one lane of the ramp. The whole time kids in the water swiming and playing in the ramp area.............wtf
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-07-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
Read this:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/712351.html?1246612028

Why be in such a rush?
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
The worst are the guys who leave their wives and kids holding the boat after they walked it around the end of the dock. Now their boat is keeping people from dropping off drivers and they have a lane of the dock blocked because the boat is 20' long on a 4' wide dock. Do they think they are out of the way?

It amazes me every time. Don't these people see it when they are trying to get off the water.
Old     (rubin)      Join Date: May 2006       07-07-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
John, when you have 10+ boats waiting to launch/pull out, 5+ minutes each adds up really fast...

A better question than "why be in such a rush?", is why be an inconsiderate ass and do things on the ramp that could be done in the parking lot? and why turn what could be a 30second job in to a 5minute job due to irrational fears about people getting hurt when climbing out of a boat that is on a trailer?

I would be willing to bet that more people are injured climbing off docked boats than injured climbing off a boat on a trailer.

When i drive 2 hours to the lake, sitting in line for an hour to launch does not sound like fun, and after all day on the water with a 2 hour drive in front of me, i do not want to wait for an hour to pull my boat out...its not about being in a hurry.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
The worst are the guys who leave their wives and kids holding the boat after they walked it around the end of the dock. Now their boat is keeping you from pulling up and dropping off the driver of the truck and is blocking a lane because the 20' boat is sitting long ways across a 4' dock. Its like some people never see the the obvious! Amazes me how often I see it and you can't yell at the wife and kids.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-07-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
item #10757

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=10757&pdesc=Beast_300_Yard_Mega_Slin gshot_Kit&str=beast&merchID=1008&r=view
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-07-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
I agree with people loading/unloading their boats while they are on the dock and making a mess out of the ramp. Nobody likes waiting in a line, especially for people that unload and load there boats right there, I did this all last weekend as people would take all their camping gear out before the boat was on the trailer.

However, if someone needs their boat to sit on the dock while they get the truck to back it down, this isn't as big of an issue. So long as you are efficient and aren't wasting to much time, do what you need to do to get the boat on and off the trailer effectively.

My fiance isn't comfortable with putting the boat on the trailer yet, so her dropping me off and then sitting off the dock is less efficient than taking up a dock spot and her holding it there. If she were to go float while I get the truck it would take us twice as long to trailer the boat.
Old     (cameronb)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-07-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
i hear you! the part that pisses me off.... is when there are 2+ other adults sitting in the boat.. anyone and their mom can pull a truck and trailer out of the water and park it.. it really dosnt even take much more to learn how to back it down the ramp as well..
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-07-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
My biggest fear is the launch ramp. That is the place where everyone looses their brain. My wife drops me off away from the launch if possible. Then she heads out away from other boats until she sees me next in line. As I am backing the trailer in she is approaching the ramp. It rarely takes more than 30 seconds to get out of the ramp. That said we have 25 years experience a lot of people are new or are just a holes. My only thought is keeping my boat safe and away from ignorant boaters. Its the same for launching by the time I am pulling up the ramp she is heading out and away. My boat rarely so much as touches a dock.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-07-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
^^^^
"...a lot of people are new or are just a holes"

gotta love that
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
There is the second side of the launch dock that is way underused for putting the boat after launching if you are the only compitant driver. I usually see that side empty when the boats are across the end of the docks. Or put or take the boat off a little earlier or later to avoid the mess and others sanity.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-07-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
Teach your wives to either back the trailer in or drive the boat onto the trailer. Take her to an empty parking lot to practice backing if you need to. Be patient and they'll learn it.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-07-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
I knew before I looked that you were in California. Do we breed these people here? We sure seem to have more than our fair share of knuckleheads.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-07-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
It's the inconsiderate aholes that deserve the waterballoon launcher treatment.

The guy blowing up the tubes on the ramp = target, the people holding the boat to the dock blocking a launch lane with a clear dock spot on the other side = target, Mr boat-wiper-down-guy on the ramp = target, the guy doing the solo launch / retrieve, but hustling like he's trying to get out of the way = not a target....even if he takes a bit more time than others. That guy might take a bit longer, but being considerate and moving as quickly as possible is all that the people in line are looking for.

Everyone is not born with the skills to get on /off a ramp in 45 seconds, that has to be learned. I think it's pretty easy to tell when somebody is having "newbie" troubles but they are moving to get it resolved vs somebody who thinks the ramp is there only for them. We have some friends new to boating and the ramp is their worse fear because they know they take some extra time due to the learning curve, but they really don't want to be "that guy" on the ramp.
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       07-07-2009, 3:34 PM Reply   
trust me they are not only in California. Sunday I was sitting on my dock watching all the KNUCKLEHEADS(nice wording) load there boats. there is no PUBLIC dock since the ramp is maintained by our homeowners assoc. they will back a trailer in and drive back to there dock where ever it is to get their boat..sometimes a 20 minute wait..there is only parking for 8 or nine vehicles so this gets really fun on a busy weekend like the 4th.
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-07-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
Danny,
A better question than "why be in such a rush?", is why be an inconsiderate ass and do things on the ramp that could be done in the parking lot?

You took the words right out of my mouth, ha ha ha ha!!!!
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2009, 11:35 PM Reply   
For all of you that watch the guy run by himself and take care of boat or truck/trailer, have you ever asked that guy if he needs help? If not, shut up. Unless you have walked a mile in that guys shoes, you don't know what you are talking about. Do you really think that guy wants to do all of it himself? Think about it for a minute. I am not sticking up for the nut blowing up tubes on the ramp or the people getting ready in line instead of a parking spot, but the lone guy that has no help. I have been that guy all too often. It is better to do it yourself than to have your boat scratched up or truck/trailer jack knifed. I will bet that the guys calling that lone guy a knucklehead laughs and points when he sees someone not know how to back up the trailer at the ramp. Ever ask that person, 9 out of 10 times the wife, if they need help backing up? I bet not. You should be at the lake to relax. Don't get all bent on the small stuff. If you need to get off the lake or on the lake that fast, you should ask to help someone doing it all by themself if they need help or just relax and enjoy the view while you wait.
Old     (lion90)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-07-2009, 11:55 PM Reply   
266Crownlinebr,

I think you should re-read all the posts as I didn't read one that said anything negative about the lone guy trying to launch his boat by himself. I think everyone understands that the boat won't drive itself.

Almost everyone is referring to a boat that has more than one adult on it that should be capable of driving the boat and not tying up the ramp/dock. Some of the other posts are referring to doing stupid things on the ramps that can be done elsewhere.

No need to get hostile or defensive. Take some of your own advice - deep breaths - relax.
Old     (wakeitnofakeit)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-08-2009, 12:05 AM Reply   
Crownline, I couldn't agree more. If there is one thing i have noticed on this site is that some people on here love to hate or pick on others, while still trying to promote the sport. July 4th, I am at the lake house, sure I rode in the morning and at night, but is what I did in between that I am most proud of. I helped an overturned sailboat right itself. I towed a boat that to its dock when it wouldn't start. I gave twelve of my neighbor's family tube rides because ther was over fifty people at his place. Boating should be a time to relax in have fun. If you are a person that enjoys getting presents more then giving them, you shouldn't be a boater. IMO
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-08-2009, 12:10 AM Reply   
Well said. The sad thing is most people will say youre wrong and those people shouldnt be on the lake or need to get some boating education. Ive been there too and when I see the " knuckleheads " I always try to give a hand. Sometimes you run into the guy who has no clue and doesnt want your help but for the most part everyone I have run across has been more than willing for the help.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
Most people will help out others in a pickle. Some people actually lack common sense or the compassion to look outside their little world and realize the docks is no place to mess around. Everyone sees and understands the lone guy or the person who cant drive the boat onto the trailer. We've been there. Its the people that just plain don't care as if they are the only ones at the lake. Its all about common courtesy.
Old     (ncsumalibu)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-08-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
I actually had my girlfriend time us taking the boat out of the water this past weekend and from the time I began to back the truck in the water to the time I was pulled out of the way of the ramp was 2 minutes 43 seconds. We didn't power load the boat either and the crew stayed seated in the back until we were out of the water and out of the way. We typically put in at around 5:30 am and take out about 1.5 hours after sunset so there is virtually nobody at the ramp. We get our days worth. On the other hand the fisherman will look at you like your crazy when you're putting in with them before sunrise.
Old     (rubin)      Join Date: May 2006       07-08-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
I don't think anyone has said anything negative about the people launching the boat by themselves. On the other hand...how many people go boating by themselves?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-08-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
I think the yahoos that take forever to do their business serve one purpose...to witness my sheer genius of splitting the tiny gap they left me and loading and driving out before they know I'm even there. While that is embellished for conceited's sake, it is pretty accurate.

My favorite past time on the busy weekends is helping the crying girl whose man is yelling at her to back the trailer in. Can't tell you how many times I've jumped at the occasion and given a brief walk through tutorial of the process. When will d-bags learn that yelling at their lady never helps much?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-08-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
Better yet, Stephan.... my wife has stabbed the trailer between two Yahoos at Sammamish. I had the boat up on the trailer, CLICK went the Boat Buddy & she hauled us out before either bonehead could get their act together. They were TORQUED, but couldnt' do a thing about it.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-08-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
I have offered to help and helped many people over the years. Just helped a guy alone in line in front of me a couple weeks ago.

Common courtesy goes both ways - if you're lollygagging for 15 min on the ramp doing stuff you could do in the parking lot, then instead of moving your boat over to the dock you just tie off right there and block the ramp while you park your truck, you are being just as antisocial as I am when I bitch and/or confront you about it.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-08-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
I swear this is easily HALF the reason that I ended up building a lake house.

I have not dealt with a yahoo at the ramp in 3 years now (since I have only been to the ramp 3 times in that time period).

I hate the free ramp by my main house, IDIOTS GALORE.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-08-2009, 4:21 PM Reply   
There is no excuse for ignorance.If you can't load a boat you have no business on the ramp when its busy.Take a pro with you or go in the middle of the week and practice.
My personal favorite is the guy that wipes down on the ramp.What I do is confront the knuckleheads and tell them there being inconsiderate.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-08-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
The best thing to do to confront people like that (or power turners) is to have a girl tell them. Guys have never gotten puffed up in my experience if it's coming from a girl.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-09-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
My buddy and I have a system down, it takes about 15-30 seconds to launch or retrieve the boat once the truck is at the ramp. That said, we avoid ramp issues by going at 6am and leaving around 10. The only time we have to hassle with it is when we do a family day out surfing in the afternoon... in which case it is crowded, but not that bad...
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-09-2009, 7:44 AM Reply   
FRAT warning.

The last time we launched,all I had with me was my 12 year old and friend of hers(also 12).I had to wait while the people in front of me pulled all of their camping gear outta their truck,and put it into their boat.(Do that crap in the parking lot!)
They parked their boat right at the front spot on the dock.I'd have been okay with their idiocy,had they taken the time to move their boat to the backside,outta the way of everyone.Whilest waiting for them,I helped 3 seperate people launch their boats,I felt like I was directing traffic.
LOL.

Finally,I had to go up and ask them to move,they whined a bit,when someone else chimed in("Yeah ya frickin Jerk!"),they got all offended,but they moved it.

Helping those other people out paid off.It got me a ride back from dropping off my truck,and it got me a ride up when time to pick up.If you've ever launched at the public side of Lake Sonoma,you know they saved me a helluva long walk.

I do laugh at the guys with the 100k set up(lifted truck and super flutie boat total)who can't back a straight line.Saw a little ranger chick make a guy get out of his very large lifted truck.....everyone on the launch began applauding when she got in.
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-09-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
i have had my daughter driving the boat and truck since she was 12. i back down, if the lot is empty, she drives to park. she usually unloads the boat, goes out and floats til i get down to the dock. she drives up, perfect dock we go. now she is loading the boat, doesn't like to in wind, but she does ok, that is what the guide pole are for. if i load the boat, she jump in and drives up the ramp, never a tire spin!

boat buddy clicks and we are off. others on ramp often watch in amazement, envy.

when pulling off at night, i wish people would turn off their headlights on the ramp. you're going backwards, the lights don't help, others can't see when the lights are shining up in the air. just because the are automatic, they can turn off.

lets not be offended if someone asks for help, or us to change the way we are doing something.
Old     (kidder)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-09-2009, 6:46 PM Reply   
I'm a knucklehead. My wife just isn't comfortable driving the boat or driving the truck with the trailer. Yet...

So, I'm stuck putting the boat in the water, driving it over to the dock, tying up, running back to the truck and parking it.

However, when I get to the ramp, I'm ready to get in the water. I already have the engine cover up and the blower on. So, I back her in, start her up, let her warm up for just a bit then drive over to the dock.

My wife does see how much easier it is if the spouse drives the boat while the other parks. I think she'll eventually start driving the boat. :-)

Signed,

Knucklehead
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-09-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
We are about 15 sec off the trailer and 15 on. We are never in a hurry but most of the time it's actually funny to watch these people. Can't be getting stressed, life is to short.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-09-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
bi tch bi tch bi tch