Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-19-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
Wakesurfing with the normal crew at Camp Far West Lake yesterday, 30 feet from shore, ran my 2 week old OJ Prop through a giant boulder, a few feet below the surface. I was watching the depth gauge as it read right around 20' deep for several hundred feet along the shore. Then all of a sudden the gauge went from 20' to 4' in seconds. SMACK!

Hull and rudder are fine. Prop took all the damage.

Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-19-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
Damn you did a hell of a job destroying that prop. If it makes you feel any better we were at Lake Oconee one time a good 50 yards from shore and ran the boat aground and destroyed the prop and rudder in an area that wasn't marked as a hazard area at all.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-19-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=dDubya;1610313]Wakesurfing with the normal crew at Camp Far West Lake yesterday, 30 feet from shore,

30 feet from shore? First of isn't that illegal? 30 feet is ridiculously close to shore to be wakeboarding, surfing, skiing, etc......

In Washington I think you are suppose to be at least 200 feet off shore when traveling over 7 mph. Is it a really skinny lake where you can't be off shore that far.
Anyways, that sucks that you destroyed a brand new prop.
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-19-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
We were up stream in the river channel/canyon. It gets a little narrow but the banks are very steep. I've been riding there since the early 90's; thought I new where the hazards were.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
Yea, 30' from anything isn't legal here. But I know that it can be different in some rivers & some other states.

If there is no metal missing, it might be repairable. Take it in to a reputable prop shop in your area just to make sure.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-19-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
That had to be a bumpy ride back to the dock
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-19-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
I've seen props that were WAY worse repaired. Metal missing just means they have to weld a little more back in. You pretty much have to break a couple blades completely off, and wrap the rest around the hub for it to be unrepairable.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-19-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear that! We hit a rock couple weeks ago first night at the lake just coming into the dock (the lake is down). Just got back from taking it to the shop and he advised not to fix it. Some small cracks in it. Said he could do it but it may fold up later on just under normal conditions, of course it may not too. Anyway just ordered a new one, thank god I had a spare or it would have been a miserable week at the lake.
Old     (rebelman10)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-19-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
I feel your pain. I hit something 4th of July and was screwed for the week. Thought I would buy another for a spare. I got the new OJ Fusion what a big difference it makes. I can weigh down untill water comes in the boat and this prop will plane out like nothing to it!
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-19-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
Damn where was that in the channel? I ride there 3-4 days a week so knowing ALL the hazards would be nice hahah. Although I am likely never 30 feet from shore. Thats a bummer though bud, my buddy hit his prop on a rock last year and mangled the hell out of it, yours looks pretty compared to his but they still managed to repair and it works nicely now!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-19-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by load View Post
Sorry to hear that! We hit a rock couple weeks ago first night at the lake just coming into the dock (the lake is down). Just got back from taking it to the shop and he advised not to fix it. Some small cracks in it. Said he could do it but it may fold up later on just under normal conditions, of course it may not too. Anyway just ordered a new one, thank god I had a spare or it would have been a miserable week at the lake.
Shop... dealer, or an actual prop shop? If it was a dealer, 9:1 he just preferred to sell a new prop.

If they find cracks, they weld them up. This is not rocket science.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
Yea, an actual prop shop can make a mangled prop look like new again. The exceptions that I've seen are when the hub itself is cracked &/or too much missing metal.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-19-2010, 6:03 PM Reply   
There is a rock just before you enter the arm on the left, about 30 feet off the shoreline, is this where you were? Bad thing about Camp Far West is it is a private lake and they do not mark any hazards. I told the front desk/store about the rock 2 feet under the water that they should throw a marker on it to avoid someone damaging there boat or falling on it skiing and nothing was ever done! There was someone skiing out there the other day with his girlfriend and no spotter, just the two of them..... what a bunch of idiots, they deserved a ticket!

Sorry about your prop, hopefully you have a spare or can get that one rebuilt?

Last edited by fman; 07-19-2010 at 6:06 PM.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       07-19-2010, 6:04 PM Reply   
get some bondo
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
ouch!... a couple hundo it will be as good as new..they can fix that no problem.
Make sure you check the prop shaft and make sure its not bent.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-20-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trace View Post
Shop... dealer, or an actual prop shop? If it was a dealer, 9:1 he just preferred to sell a new prop.

If they find cracks, they weld them up. This is not rocket science.
Took it to the prop shop. He said he could do it ($100). Who knows could have gone that route and never had a problem with it, or could have spent the $100 and had it fail. I bought the prop online so no affiliation with the prop guy.
Old     (mach90)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-20-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
Hey Dan- we were up there on Sunday night riding and skiing with our crew. I'm new to the lake and would like to avoid the same mistake. Any chance you have a good description of exactly where you were in the river/channel? Also, if you are ever looking for a third or would like to come out on our 215, feel free to shoot me a message. Hope you're back up and running quickly.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-21-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
If you're going to hit a rock, make sure you do it right! Bit more damage here than just the prop!
Attached Images

Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-21-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Dan, Dan, Dan...nice one buddy...hate it when that happens. Hope you get back on the water soon.
Old     (yeti)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-28-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
OUCH! Sorry.

I lost a 3 blade on a sandbar when the woman towed me between a buoy and shore....as I was frantically waving to go outside. I let go and heard the clunk. Doh!
Replaced the prop with a 4 blade..all excited to get back on the water....NOPE...bent shaft. Damn!
Check everything.
Old     (dfred)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-29-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
heres a good one, submerged tree last summer at Possum Kingdom....yep thats right kids nothing of the prop left, bent the strut the shaft as well as some real lovley gel damage.Name:  CIMG1248.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  66.2 KB
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-29-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
dfred, at least the carter pin held.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-29-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
David, were they able to save the prop? Sometimes they can add a little material if theres a nick.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-29-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
Taco'd
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-30-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
We hit a boulder out at Shaver Lake, CA. By the way, that lake is full of underwater boulders, and they do not mark them. Anywho, tore off our rudder completely, bent the shaft, our gel coat/ fiberglass looked like David's (but a lot more spider cracks), and our prop was the worst our Malibu dealer had seen. David's prop is unreal. Our damage was $8500. They spent 40 hours just repairing the fiberglass and gelcoat. Got pics at home. I'll post them later.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-30-2010, 8:20 AM Reply   
sorry to see that happen to anyone I have a spare OJ XMP 13.7x15 that I only used for a couple trips and is in perfect condition I could let you have for $200 plus shipping
Attached Images

Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-30-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
David, when you hit something feel free to put the boat in neutral. Your prop will never win the battle. Haha! Seriously though that sucks, theres no limping back to the dock with that thing.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-30-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
shiny! Here is a lesson for new boat owners. Do not back your trailer in too far! It is possible to overshoot everything until the prop hits the trailer. The damage was minor since I was at idle. But the cost of a new prop right after buying a boat really sucks. This reminds me I need to send in my old prop to get it retooled.
Old     (dustin)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-31-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
Would anyone have any suggestions where to send a prop to get refurbished.

Thanks for the HELP!!

Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-02-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
I took mine to my Malibu dealer. They would send it out. It was usually in the $180 range, and about 2 weeks.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-02-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin View Post
Would anyone have any suggestions where to send a prop to get refurbished.

Thanks for the HELP!!

http://www.nettleprops.com/
Old     (dfred)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-02-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
Yeah that one was fun, found out this weekend that in the area we were to "ding' the prop there are submerged telephone poles. I dont think we had a chance...
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       08-04-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
Unfortunately I get to add my own pics to this dreadful thread.. Caused by an underwater tree while boarding in an unfamiliar part of the lake... Depth finder was showing 20ft too!
Attached Images

Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-04-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
I have a repaired OJ prop for sale 13 x 17.5 LH 1 1/8" I had it on my VLX but I changed the prop email me at cburbanized@yahoo.com $ 200.00 + shipping in the US ONLY

PART #431
13 X 17.5 LC 1 1/8" 4-BLADE .090 CUP

http://ojprop.addr.com/home

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-04-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
Some more pics

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]