Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-09-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
Everyone else has their stereo thread, so here's mine...

I just finished the install on Gosa's Moomba and an 04 X-Star. Mine's still under construction though.

Started with: OEM Kenwood head unit, Wet Sounds WS-420, OEM Kenwood 6.5's in bow, in-boat, and 4 Wet Sounds XS-650's in the stock cans. Had 4 JL Audio 10W0's (2 under each console) in sealed boxes, 2 4-channel Kenwood Excelon amps, and 1 1000W Kenwood Excelon mono amp.

The new equipment: With the same head unit and WS-420, added a syn 6, Syn 4, and 2 Syn 1's. For speakers I replaced the stock cans with a Wet Sounds 3-some powered by the Syn6, 6 XS-650's in the OEM in-boat locations powered by the Syn4, and 2 Wet Sounds XS-XXX 12's each powered by each Syn1. We built 2 separate ported enclosures for the XXX's. For power, I already had 2 Stinger SP1500D batteries, and added an SP800 this time for starting and accessories. I also added 3 Stinger charger/maintainers for each battery. I hid all the wiring for the chargers under one of the panels and ran a single 12gauge cord to a location in the ballast locker with a hook to hang a cord on. I've got a 25' 12 gauge cord that will be used to plug in the chargers. All I'll have to do when I get back to the dock or on the trailer is throw the cord out and plug it in.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-09-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
very nice and clean
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-09-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
battery setup is hot..... more comments later -- wanna check this thing out...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2009, 3:39 PM Reply   
Battery set up was my favorite part...Kuhleeeean! Those boxes look tight too...how are they gonna be finished? Nice job John.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-09-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
the port's have been spray-balmed black, then I'm covering the face of the boxes with the standard solid black trunkliner material. The box under the helm will get a flush panel cut out with OEM carpet, and the opening will be the size of the face of the box. Same thing for the box under the other console. Blacked out face with flush panels.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-09-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
Oh yeah, thanks for the compliments guys!
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-09-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
Wow! Looks great! Make sure to e mail me some pics when you get it done, I will get them up on our site

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-09-2009, 4:03 PM Reply   
Sure will Tim.... I'll get some better ones when the weather's better. Should have some of the X-Star also. I'll be starting a new thread for the equipment I installed in it.
Old     (schools_out)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-12-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
Wow! You do awesome work. Hey I bought those speakers from you and am trying to wire my stereo my self..Don't laugh! Okay, I don't know how to wire my amp to stereo..I have a clarion m475 hu and it has 6 (3 pairs)little rca like wires hanging out do I just use 2 pairs of them?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-12-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
You admit and provide photographic proof of drinking Michelob Ultra?!?! Man card revoked!!

If it weren't for your incredible install skills that is! Like said before me, CLEAN!! Well done.
Old     (warwagon)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-12-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
Don't hate on the ultra son!
Old     (muckinaround)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-12-2009, 1:13 PM Reply   
John, that is bad ass looking. Just gave me some ideas to re run some stuff on mine. Damn, and its cold in my storage building!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-12-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
Jarrod: space your amps out 1/2 to 3/4", pull the wires from the sides of the amps under the amp, then run them straight up from under the center of the amp. OR run them all to the front or rear of your amp rack (underneath the amps). Just make sure to tie everything tight....

Alice: What amp do you have? You'll need at least 1 set of rca's to the amp. If it's a 4-channel amp, then run 2 sets. 1 set will be for the bow speakers, and the other set for the cockpit speakers.
Old     (cmcathy1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-14-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
Love the setup. I just ordered a 3 Some setup and I’m looking to do something similar soon. Why the chargers? Do the 2 SP1500Ds operate on their own? (meaning they are not charged by the alternator) Or are they strictly for maintenance?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-15-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
The alternator will never put out enough current to charge those batteries. The chargers will be used after each time the boat is put back in the garage or overnight on the dock. I sit around party coves more than run around.