Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-05-2003, 9:25 AM Reply   
Went out on a friends new LSV last week. The stock 3 bag ballast is not enough weight.(IMO) Looking to save some time experimenting. Anyone have some recommendations on weighting?
My first thought was to swap out the rear bags for 550’s and add a 300 more in the walk through.
What about the wake plate (not sure of the official name)… up or down… and do you leave it in the same position when starting as you do during a set?
Old    cws_kahuna            05-05-2003, 12:16 PM Reply   
Jeff,

You can replace the stock bags with the bigger bags they used in the gravity games boat. I think user Marty McFly (mcfly) could get you more info on them. I also think they are made by barefoot industries and should fit perfect.

FluidConcepts.net is now making a ballast bag that is really big 1000lbs and it should fit really well into the Ski Locker on your boat if it is the same size as mine anyway and I have a regular Mobius. These are nice because they have vent lines in them already. They also make smaller bags for the side of your engine too. Letsgoride.com can make you complete custom sacs too and they also do great work. In my Mobius I have a barefoot industries tube sac under the rear seat and it fits perfect, if your rear seat is the same you could also think about adding that type of sac too, but you are probably better off sticking to the 3 bag setup you have instead of adding more bags. I am not sure about the wake plate since I don't have one on my boat. Maybe look on Moombas or Supras website message boards to see if anyone has posted on that. You can also get 60lbs sand bags for a little over $1.00 a piece at Home Depot, which work great for a cheap way to add weight in small hidden places like under the front bow seats.

Good Luck
Old    wranger            05-06-2003, 3:14 AM Reply   
The only tip i have is to keep the weight even through out the boat. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
Ok… checked the Mob web site... Nothing too helpful there.

My friend will get in ‘TROUBLE’ buying a bunch of new sacks to replace what came stock. Can you hear it…. “A brand new boat with stock ballast… why do you need to BUY more sacks…. What’s with all the bags on the floor…. LEAD ON A BOAT…. How big of a wake do you need???”

Guess we will just have to bring out a few extra sacks and start experimenting. All the recent stuff on weighting the X2 is helpful.

Yeah I know the balance issue is important… finally got my own set up dialed in for this year.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-06-2003, 10:10 AM Reply   
The solution here is lead, but don't tell "her". Seen it work before! Lead is small and easy to hide.

Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2003, 11:08 AM Reply   
Yeah I know… I tried that route… tow vehicle can’t handle the weight. Not everyone has a suburban with a 454. Not too stealth if you have to load and unload the stuff every time you launch. How about having all your friends hide lead in their back packs??
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-09-2003, 9:56 AM Reply   
Ok… did some experimenting this AM on weighing the LSV…. Read all the stuff on the recent X2 weighting post.

Full bags in back on either side of the engine. Pushed the stock locker sack all the way to the front. I think the bag was folded some last time out and we didn’t have it completely full. Don’t think you could fit much bigger of a bag in the ski locker that the stock one. The locker space is not as wide as Cliff’s Mob V. No way you could fit 900+ pounds in the locker of the LSV. Added a full sack in the walkthrough. Started with the hydraulic wakeplate down and then moved it all the way up when the rider was up and riding.

WAKE WAS GREAT. I still have yet to ride on a weighted X2 or a weighted SAN for comparison… but I was definitely happy with the weighted LSV.

Thanks for the pulls C.
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-09-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
Did you just run right to the office and post your findings from this morning, I guess your right it looks like a no work Friday. Thanks for the pull.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-09-2003, 12:20 PM Reply   

No... I had a cup of coffee first.