Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-12-2011, 9:09 PM Reply   
One of the best things about Mastercraft is their board racks. They are solid, they are low, they swivel, and the best part is they do NOT HAVE BUNGEE"S.

My new boat will have standard racks on it and I am looking for a swivel board rack that has a securing system that is not a bungee cord.

Please point me into the right direction... and no, I did not buy a mastercraft so I cannot go with theirs.

thanks
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-14-2011, 9:58 PM Reply   
bueller?.....bueller?.....bueller?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-15-2011, 5:47 AM Reply   
No one makes one that I am aware of... but I wish someone would step up and design one because I agree, those MC racks are awesome. You might want to try Skylon as they make these racks for MB that have bungees but really don't require them. Not sure if they can sell those direct to the consumer or not though.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-15-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
I have been looking at these though I cannot find too much info on them.

http://skyski.com/store/comptech-piv...oard-rack.html
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-15-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
http://www.mbsports.net/accessory_vi...cessory=towers
Old     (ryansgt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-15-2011, 10:23 AM Reply   
I would take a solid look at comptech marine

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

They seem solid but i was having trouble finding a way to make them work on an illusion. they also sell just the arms which is the link i sent so you could go with whatever rack you want as long as it has 2 1/8th hole spacing and bolt on the arms. Seems like a pretty good way to secure the boards.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-15-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
anyone own a pair of these comptechs???
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-15-2011, 3:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
bueller?.....bueller?.....bueller?
Just out of curiosity, what boat and board racks do you currently have?
Old     (JohnnyDefacto)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-15-2011, 6:42 PM Reply   
thanks for all the replies. I do have an old (2009) skylon catalog that shows the AirLock wakeboard rack, but they do not currently show it online. Also, they do not swivel.

Currently I am boatless, but hope to take delivery of my 2011 A22 in April. I ordered it with the stock fixed board racks, but only plan on using them until I find what I am looking for.
Old     (JohnnyDefacto)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-15-2011, 6:47 PM Reply   
both those comptechs and mb racks look great, simple and clean. I do not know how much modifications would be needed to mount them on my axis though.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-15-2011, 6:51 PM Reply   
I think the reason many companies dont make them is because mastercraft has a patent on them.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-15-2011, 9:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDefacto View Post
thanks for all the replies. I do have an old (2009) skylon catalog that shows the AirLock wakeboard rack, but they do not currently show it online. Also, they do not swivel.

Currently I am boatless, but hope to take delivery of my 2011 A22 in April. I ordered it with the stock fixed board racks, but only plan on using them until I find what I am looking for.
ok, so i know this might seem ghetto but its the best idea my friends came up with/use on their boat and works great.

http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pi...atalogId=10053
cut the pipe insulation to the length of each rack arm on the board racks. use 3 zip ties per each rack arm to keep the foam in place(crank down on the zip ties so the foam is bulging thru the ties). cut the excess zip tie plastic and throw a board in the rack and see how it fits. the board should now fit really snug. my buddies have been doing this on there SAN 210 since it was new. never have we ever had a board even come close to falling out or severly shift. another plus is your board never gets scratched like other racks and weve never use the bungies. actually we had cut those off cuz the serve no purpose. only maintenance needed you would need to do is maybe change out foam everyother season. ill see if i can get some pictures of what it looks like. in the end its just a $10 job and doesnt look that bad.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-17-2011, 7:32 AM Reply   
The clamping racks are very nice for sure, have an 06 X2, but I wouldn't hold out or pay alot of $ for swiveling racks unless you have to remove racks to get it into your garage or boat slip regularly.
I really only use the swivels for 3 purposes. 1. Backing thru my 8' tall garage door, I have to swivel them a bit with the tower down so they don't hit the header. 2. When towing I usually swivel them in 180deg, just to catch a few less bugs, doesn't help much though. 3. When the boat is wet slipped for a week's vacation each year, I spin them in 180deg before pulling into the covered slip so I don't have to worry about catching one and breaking it.

For ease of access to get to the boards, the swivels on my boat anyway are useless. Can't swivel the racks very far at all before one of the boards hits something, tower or bimini.
Old     (dorK)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-04-2011, 2:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakereviews View Post
No one makes one that I am aware of... but I wish someone would step up and design one because I agree, those MC racks are awesome. You might want to try Skylon as they make these racks for MB that have bungees but really don't require them. Not sure if they can sell those direct to the consumer or not though.
I have been working on a design for the last 6 months that is super simple to operate, fully retro fittable to 99% of board racks, looks pretty good, quality polished stainless steel construction and actually works. They will retail for under $100AUD per board, so if you dont want to lash out $400 you can continue to run Bungy cords on board that dont get used as often and run my invention on the top or bottom of the rack. It also works with wakesurf, Kneeboard and ski racks. I'll be able to show you guys in the next couple of days as im waiting on ipaustralia to register the design. Why haven't i put a patent on it? well i didn't have 15k to blow, and i certainly dont have 150+k to take someone to court to enforce it. I'm hoping anyone that wants to use/manufacture them will pay a very small licensing fee.

ALL reviews so far have been wow/fantastic/ZOMG/ why hasn't anyone thought of this earlier.

They may be popular, They might not be but the only way to find out is to give it a crack.

Take it easy, Matt - www.EmpireWakeTowers.com.au
Old     (dorK)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-04-2011, 2:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDefacto View Post

I am an Aussie SKYLON dealer and I don't have access to the AirLock racks
Old     (dorK)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-10-2011, 3:06 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHztL...layer_embedded

Theres a sneak peak.. Hope you like!