Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old    walt            12-07-2006, 5:40 AM Reply   
I've never seen this grab before. Has it been done before and what is it called ?

Upload
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-07-2006, 6:13 AM Reply   
That's the great Kaesen Suyderhoud doing what he calls a "Nukefish"
Here are a couple of my son Josh doing the same grab:
Upload
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-07-2006, 6:24 AM Reply   
Upload

It's a Nuclear grab grabbed all the way back behind the back foot.
Josh is goofy, so the direction of travel is right to left, and the board is twisted a full 180 degrees. Kaesen is regular so direction of travel is left to right.

(Message edited by deltawake on December 07, 2006)
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-07-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
the kid in the first picture is also traveling right left... not left to right....

There both going in the same direction.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-07-2006, 7:14 AM Reply   
no they are actuallly going in opposite directions.
first guy has the handle in his left hand
second rider has the handle in his right hand
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-07-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
Billy is correct. They are going opposite directions. In each case the board is twisted 180 degrees.

(Message edited by deltawake on December 07, 2006)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-07-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   
Peter, those pics of Josh are sick. I wish I was that flexible. I can barely get a nuke grab at all. LOL. Nice.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-07-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
looks like a "pretzel" grab to me.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-07-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
Yeah Nice shot of a natural.

I would call it a really tweaked out Nuke!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-07-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Looks like the same trick. One rider is goofy, the other is regular.
Old     (truebeachbum)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-07-2006, 3:32 PM Reply   
ive seen that grab but inbetween the legs
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-07-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
andy's right. it's just a tweaked nuclear, no new names needed.
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-08-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
counterfeit method grab, still looks good though
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-08-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
i can do nuclear tail grabs
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-08-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
<"counterfeit method grab">

Not even close. This is a Method:

Upload

(Message edited by deltawake on December 08, 2006)
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-08-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
actually it is pretty close. grabbed in the same spot with the same trewak just with the other hand.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-08-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
Nice Method Jerrmy, don't have a Tailfish shot but I do have a not Tindy grab.
Upload
Old     (kaesensuyderhoud)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-08-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
electricsnow,
from now on im just going to call a slob grab a tweeked out mute, and a lame tindy an indy cause if you say that those are differnt grabs then they are different by 6 inches... but a nuclear and the nukefish are different by 2 ft. but it is still a nuclear??? wow. i want you to go on the water and do a nuclear and then try a nucfish... bet you cant do it.

so in other words, it is compleatly different.

peter,
sweet shots of josh and jeremy by the way! im glad josh picked up on the grab so fast! get him to do them toeside now.. its a whole nother adventure! hahaha

randy,
sweet shot of alex! thats a good lookin tail grab and really good lighting. tell him i said hey and tell him we need to hook up and ride some frozen water.
Old     (kaesensuyderhoud)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-08-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
oh and proho,
if it is JUST a grab that is in the same spot but with your back hand instead of your front, than please try it and then tell me how alike they are.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-08-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
Thanks Kaesen, I well pass it along to Alex, he's leaving next week for Orlando, riding with some of his Florida bud's & doing a internship at O'town. Come on up in January.
Hi-jack over.
Old     (kaesensuyderhoud)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-08-2006, 5:38 PM Reply   
i move to orlando the 15th of january... will he be there still? cause we will ride non stop! hahaha
Old    walt            12-08-2006, 7:14 PM Reply   
Kaesen,

I guess you finally figured it out.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-08-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
Randy- That shot of Alex is awesome.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-08-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
Thanks Peter, but I have to tell you, driving chase boat 20' behind your own kid is a little heart pounding.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-08-2006, 11:36 PM Reply   
kaesan, why are you getting so defensive? is it you that is in those shots? look at the method shot. would he have to tweak his body much further to grab it with his back hand? I am just saying they are similar in the same way a mute and indy are similar(even tho you should have a different poke on a mute and indy while this tweak is nearly identical). i was just commenting on how someone said they werent even close.
Old     (kaesensuyderhoud)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-09-2006, 12:49 AM Reply   
proho,
but they arent even close.... do me a favor. stand up right now and pretend to grab method......ok. now try to grab nukefish. now.. tell me if the body rotation feels the same? it doesnt.. you cant even reach that far.

now... try it on the water and see how much more difficult it is with a handle in your hand and a board attached to your feet. you will be amazed!
now.... if an indy and mute grab are grabed in the same place but with different hands and have two different names for eachother... why would this be any different?

and yes.. the top picture is me and walt asked permission to post it and i said yes cause i want to see what people thought of it cause it took me a while to be able to grab my board like that.. and im not getting defensive, im just blown away how you think it is soo easy and how it is just like a method. try it and you will change your mind.

walt,
yeah i finally got an account! haha i had to so i could post something in here cause i was just reading some redicules stuff in here! hahaha
well acually peter T had to do it for me over the phone cause it just wasnt working for me! hahaha.
thanks for posting the picture of it though and when we get a shot of it this spring i should be throwing a glide with it and a heel front... so things will get nasty! haha
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-09-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
wow dude you are taking this way too seriously. and btw electricsnow would agree with you in saying that a slob grab is just a mute. but i never said it shouldnt have its own name.

I never claimed to be an amazing rider or be able to do this grab. and i definitely never said it was sooo easy. imo it LOOKS like a method grab. u can disagree with me all u want but youre not gonna change my opinion. by calling me out it just makes it seem like you are insecure about your riding ability and want to prove to everyone how hard this trick is and how great you are.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-09-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
slob and mute are the same--the difference is that they're direction dependent. I didn't make up the "rules", I just spent the time trying to find out why people would try to legitimize tindys with slobs.

and I'm saying it's a tweaked nuclear grab because TRADITIONALLY (which, I'm guessing by now you know I'm into that) a nuclear grab is done near the front foot. It's like methods on a snowboard--you can either grab right in front of your front foot, or totally in between your bindings. Furthermore, you can either do a method by pulling the board up "suitcase" style, or you can do it like a "palmer" (when it's banked out in front of you).

Anyway, I'm only using that information to illustrate the point that sometimes there are a few different ways to do the same trick and in this situation, i really don't think a new name is necessary.

People used to call your trick an "ohm" or something (an other hand method). I thought that name sucked. Anyway, danny harf was doing that grab back in "my house" on his little double up wakeboard. And travis williams did that in an option ad a few years back...I dont' think either of them called it a nukefish.

And you're right, i can't do that grab. Not only would I never WANT to do that grab (on a snowboard or otherwise), but I wakeskate.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-09-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
method isn't a grab. it's a move/trick.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-09-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
ummmm sure joe.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       12-09-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
joe's right proho....explain the diff. between a Method and a Melan...if you can??

just as well, i'm a firm believer there is no such thing as a "half-cab" on a wakeboard....unless there is a quarter pipe.
Yet idiots seem to call tricks "Cab" like theres a skate below thier feet.......

(Message edited by baschralper on December 09, 2006)
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-09-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
why would a quarter pipe make a difference in a cab?

just cuz it isnt in a different spot than a melan doesnt mean it isnt a grab. i cant say "check out that sick method grab"?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-10-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
method

Upload

melan

Upload
Old     (kaesensuyderhoud)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-10-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
wow prohoe, im not insecure about anything and i am proud of how i ride and how it looks, your opinion on this grab means nothing to me. i just wanted to educate you a little on how this is nothing like a method...although you think it looks like one, it is not...just because it is grabed in the same spot as the ''trick'' (wich IS a trick not a grab) method doenst mean it is the same. using the other hand to get across your body like that is a little tougher than you think and looks compleatly different.

now im not saying i invented this cause i know i didnt but i just do them and there was no name for it so i made up ''nukefish'' for fun (grabbing with the nuclear hand but down to where you would grab a REAL stailfish)

so i would appriciate it if you didnt TELL ME that i was insecure and ''calling you out'' cause i wasnt and im not. im just stating the fact that, that is nothing like a method air. wehter the picture was of me or not.
Old     (mikemcmill)      Join Date: May 2002       12-10-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
FYI Mute is between grabbing your toeside edge between your feet...slob is grabbing your toeside edge between your nose and your front foot...
Old     (kaesensuyderhoud)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-10-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
correct.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-10-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
haha i dont even know what to say. okay ill start with the method. i know what you are trying to say its not JUST a grab. Its a tweak and a grab i know. I would say a grab is a "trick" so i guess you could say stales and mutes are "tricks" too but they are also grabs. without the grab on a method its not a method and likewise without the proper tweak its not a method either. so imo it would be more accurate to say its a tweak AND a grab rather than a trick but not a grab.

You guys are wrong about the slob but i wont waste my time explaining why they are supposed to be grabbed in the same spot because you would never change your opinion. I just figured i should let you know that e-snow knows more than anyone should ever know about skateboarding, snowboarding, and wakeboarding than any one person should know. So if you dont believe me believe her.

all i have to say about the "nukefish" is that i find it kind of ironic that the people who first started doing it were calling it an other hand method and you are still trying to "educate" me on how these two grabs are nothing alike.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-10-2006, 4:36 PM Reply   
Peter T, see what you started
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-10-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
I wanna unload on this one. I am with Kaesen. But I will keep my mouth shut.

Lets argue about helmets! That one is always good!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-10-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
YAWN!!!!!

You guys grow up, especially those whose sponsors may be watching you act uptight, rude and immature in public.
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-10-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
Just like an OHH (other hand hoochie), it could be called OHM (other hand method). I'm partial to the real method grab; I like the look much more. Like I said "counterfeit method grab"
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-10-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
Randy- I didn't start it.- Honest
My posts have been purely factual.

I'll leave the opinions to the experts.

I know what you mean about it being unnerving driving chase. Not sure I could drive 20' behind my own kid.

(Message edited by deltawake on December 10, 2006)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-11-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
guys get over yourselves who cares ,this ripping riders an ovcely strong oppinions on whats real and whats not is useless..

This is an individual sport where most ride for fun and relaxation and dont care if they misgrab a board and then get rippped for posting it .

If it has a name and can be done its a trick and not many are doing this for valadation from those on these Online chats .If your happy with it then so be it if not then kudos to you you keep on ripping but let others do what they want.

Live and let live ....

you all sound like a bunch of grumpy olds... :-)
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-16-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
Dude! All I know is that the guy that Joe posted doing the method is a major stud...cute too!

Just kidding

Joe, what's up buddy? We miss you guys, when you gonna come down and visit? You gotta see my new pup..."Boaty"