Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-04-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
http://www.macvirus.org/

RUH ROH!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
so apple got it's 1st virus ever versus how many on the windows platform?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-04-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
1XXXXXXXXXX users per mac user. gee, i wonder why.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-05-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
I guess if one is dumb enough to download an executable file and then run it without knowing what it is, yes you can infect your Mac.

Of course you can run the Mac disk utility and reformat your drive if you don't know what you're doing and ignore the warnings!

BTW the OS warns you when you're about to download an executable file so no excuses.

Intel Macs do get viruses though, I've already got an infected partition after booting up in windows and going online!

The experts are predicting Apple's share of PC sales will rise from around 2% up to 8% in the next few years.

Right here, 2 years ago, I recommended buying Apple stock when it was at $80 right before it split. Well since then it's split and is back up to $90 plus per share. It's projected to go up to $108 in the next 3 months! Even if you don't like their products you gotta love their stock!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-05-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
how does having more users make one platform better then the other? I'll choose stability over popularity anyday.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-05-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Sean,

This is an ongoing thing with Joe and Scott, it's just been quiet lately. They both actually are closet Mac fans, they just like to get me going!

Between Canon vs Nikon and Mac vs PC they have managed to make me look pretty "extreme" (sounds better then anal!)Upload

At least Scott owns Canon equipment!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-05-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
rich, i think sean missed my point.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-05-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
joe, i be your huckleberry.....

i dont think more windows users means anything...dont you find it strange, mac is STILL around after all these years..what mac lacks in popularity, it targets a a bit more refined/specific/loyal user (hey, 1,000,000 lemmings cant be wrong

'inovation' is what mac brings to the world, and EVERYONE copies it (mp3/ipod, imac, quicktime just to name a few..)

(Message edited by clubmyke on December 05, 2006)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-05-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
rich & scott, i don't think mike got my point either.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-06-2006, 12:06 AM Reply   
joe, we get it - there are expotentionaly fewer mac users than pc users and hence less viruses..

if thats not it, please explain your "line of thought"
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-06-2006, 12:31 AM Reply   
yeah, that's it. i don't know why that wasn't addressed instead of defending your purchase.

just messin' with you mike.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-06-2006, 1:38 AM Reply   
First of all, credit Apple's marketing department with the resurgence of the company. They overhauled both the iMac AND the iPod. And we all know how successful the iPod has been...

Rich- actually, I do like what Apple's doing right now. I'm actually keeping an eye on the MacBook Pro since I'll be in the market soon for a laptop to edit on when I travel. The thing is that the Macbook has already had 3 different issues with it, sooo yeah. But yeah, there's a reason why I keep tabs on some things. I'm so critical about them because there are only a few things keeping me from buying Apple stuff...but they are pretty big things as of right now. So I sit and wait and keep tabs on what's up...

clubmyke- if by "refined/specific/loyal" you mean "snobby/niche/lemming" then yeah. I'm not aiming any of this at you or Rich or anyone else here, but there are soooooo many Mac owners that I've come across that consistently put themselves on a pedestal when it comes time to talk computers. My Mac can do this...it can do that. Fantastic. Wanna know what else your Mac can do? Get a virus! No, you're wrong- Macs don't get viruses. Right. I've had this conversation several times with new MacBook owners. To so many of them photo and video editing cannot POSSIBLY be done on a PC...little do they know that Photoshop CS2 will actually run SLOWER on their beloved machine unless they were to run the PC version of it. Anyways, sorry to take this out on you...

High-fives all around to Apple's marketing department for convincing so many people that they need a $3,000 computer to check their email and update their myspace page.

(Message edited by scott_a on December 06, 2006)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-06-2006, 5:40 AM Reply   
CS2 is still slower obviously then on a comparable windows PC but one interesting note is that with the improvements in Rosetta (Apple's builtin translator for PPC code to UB) offered in the latest OS X 10.4.8 update, combined with the speed of the new core2 duo, the new MBP's officially just blew away the fastest PPC PB, the 1.67 ghz PB G4, while running the CS2 test suite.

I'm not sure if the C2D Mac Pro beats the old quad G5 tower though because the G5 was a much better chip.

While Apple will never admit they are building machines to run windows remember they are a hardware company first that builds software to sell hardware. They will offer the features windows users want as well to grab some of those sales.

One more note on the MacBook, Apple is expected to sell over 300K of them this qtr, evidently some new record for sales of a notebook computer. I really don't care for those stupid Mac vs PC ads but I guess they're doing the job.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-06-2006, 5:41 AM Reply   
Don't you guys ever sleep ?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-06-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
once you go mac- you never go back...
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-06-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
I'll guarentee you at 1:38 am this old man is sound asleep!

We've been way overdue for a good old Mac vs PC thread!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-06-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
1:38am...bah! That ain't nothin.

I thought I read somewhere that Macs didn't NEED those stupid "updates" like Windows machines do? I thought "it just works." *jab jab*
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-07-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
I'll just chime in here quickly. Primarily, I work with Windows server (web, mail, directory, dns, etc.) administration. I just purchased my first Apple - a C2Duo macbook pro for photography. I worked with BSD for some time and that initially turned me on to OS X. My initial impressions are really good. Apple's approach to design - hardware and UI - are good. K.I.S.S. in just about every area. I truly believe that OS X let's you concentrate on your work and not on the OS. And it's cool that, underneath that simple UI, I can still fire up a terminal geek out on shell scripts in Emacs or VI.

However, any purist that claims Apple is better than any other system is only kidding themselves. I've worked with several systems (*NIX, Linux, BSD, Windows, etc.) and there is not one out there that is better at everything than the other. It's simply a matter of application. What you're using the system for.

As for the virus question. It's definitely possible in OS X. Even at the kernel (BSD) level. Too bad that after buying a mac, I'm still 20lbs. over weight and bald, like the PC guy in the commercials.
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-07-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
Thats why if you buy a mac.. make it be a mac not a windows
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       01-24-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
As far as the stock goes, I think the increase can be attributed to a little invention called the ipod, not because they are winning the mac vs pc war.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-24-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
I saw an industry expert projection that Apple would increase their overall PC market share by close to 3% this year. That is a lot of computers. They're not doing too many things wrong in the stock markets eyes lately regardless of what the main reason is.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-24-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
Rich- if only they could make products that don't have so many damn issues. Their latest creation has half a dozen problems including a FULL ON battery exchange offer going on. Unfortunately, QC doesn't seem to be at the top of Apple's list, not that anyone really seems to care...
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-24-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
I haven't seen anything recent about the battery exchange. But wasn't that with pretty much all the laptops?
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
During the keynote, Jobs mentioned that 50% of people who bought mac computers last year were new owners - never purchased Apple before. That is a pretty good ratio. As for the battery issue, it did include other manufacturers, including Dell.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-25-2007, 1:33 AM Reply   
http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

God...it's just so ugly. The MacBooks have two independent issues with their batteries. One of the biggest issues was in the Sony-built batteries- they were built a bit incorrectly would overheat and exploded/ignite in some Apple and Dell laptops. Then there was another recall done on a different block of serial numbers, but I can't find out why. And then there's all the rest of the issues that Apple's had with their batteries in other laptops.

I realize that Apple doesn't make their own batteries, monitors, processors, etc, and that's fine. But as I see it, the bottom line is that when it comes time for me to drop $3500 on a laptop, I'm sure as hell not gonna run out and purchase a product that seems to have problems day in, and day out.

Or maybe I'm being too critical of them? Perhaps the only reason why I can dig up so much information about their issues is because Apple is in the limelight 24/7? I don't know.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-25-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
My Macbook Pro was part of that battery deal. I registered on the Apple website, they sent me a new battery, I put the old one in the supplied container, DHL picked it up and that was it. My notebook never burst into flames.

Apple computers are more reliable and have less repair issues then any other brand, again a statistic I read somewhere.

The most expensive Macbook Pro right now is the 17" at $2799.00, most of them are in the low 2's and, the Macbooks themselves are around a grand. Given they pretty much come with everything you need (no hidden extra costs) I think they are very competative with the other highend notebook suppliers like Sony and toshiba.

I am probably on my 6th or 7th Mac notebook at this point which I use and carry daily in business. I believe the 2nd one I owned years ago had a motherboard go down under warranty and it was fixed by the following day. I laugh when they try to sell me AppleCare, I've had zero hardware issues (other then the repair mentioned above.), software issues and no viruses ever I'd say that's a pretty good track record for over 10 years of daily use.

And given some of the cutting edge technology that goes into their notebooks and their form factor I'm not surprised they have issues at times but my overall experience has been so completely positive I doubt I'll ever consider anything else.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-25-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
Despite all the bad press I like my Macbook Pro a whole lot more than any PC I've ever owned.
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
My wife and I love our Mac, it's a 15" Macbook Pro, it boots up in under 20 seconds and it shuts down when I want it to. I've worked with Windows PC's for the past 12 years and it's nice to have a change from Windows, I haven't seen much of anything a Windows PC can do that a Mac can't. We paid $2500 for this Mac and when I was shopping, I looked at Dell's and HP's, the cost were the about the same when you add in all the extras.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-26-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
"I looked at Dell's and HP's, the cost were the about the same when you add in all the extras."

Thank you!
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-26-2007, 8:59 PM Reply   
I think Rich touches on a good point - total cost of ownership. Even if you do pay a little more initially for a Mac, their hardware has a better track record. Apple has always been a great integrator when it comes to hardware. They leverage a lot of QA with the manufacturers of their parts. I've owned several Dell laptops and each one of them has required hardware service at some point. Apple's failure rate is nowhere near that of the major PC companies. Battery recall or no.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-28-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
hhhmmm, my hp was right around $1500, core2 duo, 2gig ram, 120gig hard drive, lightscribe dvd, 15' brightscreen, 12 cell battery etc....
I did buy an extra battery and a couple other accessories, including warranty.
BUT it has been in 3 times for very minor issues, but issues a new machine should not have. If it comes back not fixed again we should be getting a new one. It's been a real headache and I've grown a great distaste for hp customer service.
I love the machine when its in my possession, but I'm tired of dealing with hp. No-one knows for certain if it was in fact fixed when it when the first time
I guess I'm just ranting now and will probably look a little harder at macbooks next time. I plan on building my next desktop
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-28-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
chris, that's why i would never buy an hp. my dad had a ton of problem with his. and don't even get me started with frankie's compaq laptop.

my dad since got a comp built...no problems after a year.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-28-2007, 9:35 PM Reply   
Joe, up until now I have never had an issue with hp. .......