Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BlairJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-30-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
This is a ballast pump in a 4 year old boat, and it been having issues lately. Started off with not being able to empty the tank, sputtering. So I replaced the impeller. Now it pretty much just stopped working. But it kicks on occasionally while testing.

Is the a sign the pump has gone bad or does that sound more like a wiring issue?
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-31-2011, 6:06 PM Reply   
I had the same problem. My issue was the replacement impeller. Make sure you replace with the correct impeller. I now use the green one. The black replacement impeller was 1/64 to big and would not allow the impeller to spin when I tightened the cap.
Old     (BlairJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-01-2011, 5:45 AM Reply   
Good grief. I ordered a new pump thinking the old one was dead. I replaced the impeller with what the Jabsco catalog said I needed, but it was the black one and it was really tough to get in the casing. 1/64 too big in flat width or circumference. FUUUUUUUUUUUU
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-01-2011, 5:53 AM Reply   
Take the brass plate off and sand down with a very fine grit any buildup. Install Green impeller for no worries, but mine let water by when I upgraded from 750lb to 1500lb sac. I got a new Black impeller but need to sand down every year.

Surprised your not popping fuses?
Old     (BlairJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-01-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
UGGGG. I have a new pump on the way, but I think you are spot on with this issue. I opened up the case and I couldnt even get the impeller to spin. It was super hard to get in there as well. And its the black impeller. Unfortunately I already pulled the old pump. Going to try and track down a green impeller to test it.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-01-2011, 6:27 PM Reply   
I agree, sand the inside of the brass plate. The way I knew the impeller was too big, every time I opened the top plate, the darn thing would spin. I also order the OEM from jabsco (stupid me, what was I thinking), go green!!

Blair: when I install the black impeller, there was a 1/64 inch height difference. when I installed the top plate, it would pressure against the impeller and not allow it to spin.
Old     (BlairJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-02-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
Sure enough the inside of the plate was gnarly and I sanded it down. I checked the size of the old vs new impeller and they seem to be almost identical in outer height and width. I tried turning the installed impeller and its very hard to move. Seems like its too rigid almost. Going to attempt to put the old pump back in with the work I've done and see if it works.

Thanks for all the help.