Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (slvrbullit81)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-15-2009, 11:59 AM Reply   
Man I hate those big boats one of those big ass waves almost sunk my boat and it seems like they go that slow just to make big waves very dangerous. There is almost nothing you can do out there because there is very little room and a lot of traffic.
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-16-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
hey tom,
In California your technically responsible for your wake (99% sure), so it's on them if they sink you.
cheers...
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-16-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
You got to deal with it, they have just as much right to be out there as we do. Most those big boats don't go that fast so you have to learn how to get over their wakes without sinking your boat.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
Dennis is right. If they sink you, they are responsible.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-17-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
I always wondered about this rule, it's the same in NJ. What are you suppose to do as your boat is sinking and the other boat is pulling away. Swim after them or scramble for a pen and paper and right down their numbers??
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-17-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
i used to drive my parents 56ft yacht and i was always cool to slow down for ski boats because honestly it sucks being on the water and having those wakes swamp you.. with that being said those guys that come down the canals are jerks and just dont care about anyone else but themselfs.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-17-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
I think people throw around this wake responsibilty concept a little too far. Basically, there has to be some negligence on the part of the boater creating the wake for him to have some responsibility (no wake zone, etc.). Let's say you motor by at idle speed - creating a small wake but a wake nonetheless. As your ripple passes, my wife is handing me her $100,000 Tiffany diamond ring. Your wake causes me to drop said ring into the water. Would you be responsible? Probably not. Or, better yet, a cruise ship twenty miles out makes a wake that eventually crashes into your boat docked along a seawall. Would the ship operator be responsible?
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-17-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
^^^^^ and what about the owner that keeps their boat moored or docked with the stern facing the open water and their bilge pump fails? I don't think a wakeboat should be on the hook, even if it was your wave that sunk it.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-17-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
so if i dont want my boat anymore i go down to california and i plunge into someone rollers, thats a cool idea to get rid of your boat ....
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
Not sure how many of you guys have dealt with big boat waves, but if you've never been around it you can't comment. I've been over reasonable waves a million times. I've also been over waves that were absolutely absurd and would threaten even a seasoned driver. When you're in the delta in one of the narrow sloughs and a 60' boat comes by at 15mph they can push bow rollers that are 6' high. If you don't hit them just right, or they catch you with your motor not running you can be in big trouble in a matter of seconds. I can't tell you how many times I'm made people give me back control of the boat when I see a large yacht headed our war. Because the sloughs are narrow you can't "run away" to a spot where the waves have dissapated or spread out. You're forced to hit the waves head on and under power. If you roll them sideways they'll swamp your boat instantly and roll you over.

In my 10+ years on the Delta I can't count how many boats I've seen being towed in upside down.

That said, some of the drivers are like Michael and are respectful to small crafts. When that's the case it's no big deal. Everyone can coexist peacefully. It also takes some smarts. You've gotta know that on the weekends the big boats will be coming and going. Stick to the narrow sloughs and be heads up and you'll always be fine. There are a lot of great places to ride that the big boats can't even get into.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       08-17-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
scary but true Evan. Although a few weeks back i saw a yacht crusing around and around vics at like 10-15mph. Talk about a tool.

You have to be carefull on railroads thats were i see them and wakeboard boats being at odds.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-17-2009, 12:34 PM Reply   
Evan, I went out last Friday and I think I saw more yachts on that day then I have seen all year. Definitely got some practice on the skill of crossing those big wakes. I have to say 1 of the boats wakes made me pucker a little, thought for sure the nose was going under the second set of rollers. I sucks when you come around a bend there is a big A** boat right there and you have very little time to react. I cruised around from Disco to Stockton Saturday and I think I only passed one. Seems like they're out cruising more on the weekdays.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-17-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
Tour boat on Lake Powell = HUGE wake. For the past few years he has slowed down when coming the opposite direction of the houseboat. Previously it was "hang on for dear life"!
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-17-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
Evan; I know exactally what your saying. Even with my boat at 24', a big roller at the wrong time sends chivers up my spine. I can't tell you how many times I've dipped the nose. Usually its a split second decision to power over the top, or run and duck for cover. Either way, it's no fun.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-17-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
oh man i have seen my share growing up there. for us locals or just people that ride alot on the delta its a part of learning how to drive... fo my always go the farthest to the outside of the wakes as possible(smallest) and if you cant handle the big wave/ wakes stay away from channels like kellog slough and old river were the channel goes around the tracks and under two bridges just because it is the only accessible way out to the ocean. on holiday weekends stay away from those areas, it will make your life alot easier.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-17-2009, 4:29 PM Reply   
I've been swamped pretty good a few times on the delta. I agree with being responsible for your wake, but doesn't the law say the smaller boat is to yield to the larger vessel?
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-18-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
My very first time out as a new boat owner years ago, I passed a 40ft+ boat. It was going slow enough to create a huge wake. I thought that I was going to sink. Now, if I see one of those monsters coming at me, I turn tail asap
Old    mendo247            08-18-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
So you guys with experience, whats your strategy taking on a massive wake head on? I've been to the delta on weekdays and during the winter but never had to hit a large boat swamping wake head on lol I feel pretty comfortable with my boat driving skills but I often wonder how I would react to a 6ft roller heading at me straight on lol
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-18-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
For me it is usually about a 45 degree approach at just over idle, easing off the throttle up the front side, turn away slightly down the back side feather the throttle going up the second wake to keep the nose up and pray that I remembered to put my phone in the glove box instead of my backpack in the bow!
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-18-2009, 9:22 PM Reply   
Large wakes?? Try dealing with one of these - this is a channel leading to Lake Michigan. Granted - I was in my Donzi Sweet 16 and not a wakeboard boat - but it is still a small boat.

Upload
Upload
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-18-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
We have those in the Delta too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJH32H_q5ZU

(Message edited by tinyTdubb on August 18, 2009)

(Message edited by tinyTdubb on August 18, 2009)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-19-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
Coop, what Shawn says is usually pretty on. The only time it doesn't work is in a narrow slough or if the big boat passes close and has you pushed up against the levee. When that's the case you kinda get one shot. Take the wake head on and power up the face. Try to keep the boat on plane when you come up the second wake. It can usually be done without drama. Just get the nose as high as possible.

The only time I've been totally freaked out was when I was in a deep water channel and a 80+ foot boat was coming toward me. At cruising speed it didn't look like it was pushing much water. By the time it was on top of us I could see there was a huge well between the bow roller and the second roller. I got on the gas at the top of the first roller and landed on the up side of the second roller. It hit hard enough to break my tower, crack the gel around where the tower mounts were, bend the arms of the wake board racks down (actually bend the arms, not rotate on the tower) and knock some guages out of the dash. My stereo was hanging by it's wires.

It was one of those last minute calls. Either power up, or sink. It shook me pretty good. Now If I see a boat that size I'm very cautious as it approaches. I usually set up to turn and run down a small slough.

Usually we only get boats in the 30-45' range which are much more managable.

(Message edited by guido on August 19, 2009)

(Message edited by guido on August 19, 2009)
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       08-19-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
What Shawn is talking about is a good rule of thumb? I have not had to experience big boats yet, but I kinda want to be prepared as far as having an idea on what to do!
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-19-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
add all the above in the equation and get behind the wheel of a V210... Man, we have had some close calls including my dad driving my boat once around a yacht throwing a wall.. I had to grab the wheel before he sunk our battleship.. but we got around it with no water in the boat.. PHEW... my wife should chime in on this one.. she was FREAKED OUT
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-19-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
just keep the nose high. it works. oh and make sure you throttle when the first wave is under the boat becuase if you do it when the boat is starting to roll down over the first wake you will bury the nose in the second wake.. not that great of an idea. its hard to explain, my jedi instincts kick and the years of experiance start to show when i encounter huge wakes.
Old     (dyer)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-19-2009, 2:44 PM Reply   
The best trick I have seen is to turn away from the big wave and surf it at a slight angle. It only works if you have enough room to let the wake carry you a bit. My buddy does this on the Sac river in his Sanger 215. We haven't taken any water on the boat since we started using this method. It is also a much more gentle way to take those waves if you have family and little ones in the boat.

We have taken some pretty big ones from cruisers motoring up the river. The wave never even gets close to coming over the transom.