Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-22-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
Hey guys... I got a chance to get out and ride the new Transcend yesterday and wanted to follow the ride up with a little info for those interested.

First off the board has quite a few changes which had all of the Transcend lovers in our crew concerned. It's a bit wider, has longer fins, a different tip/tail profile and the center spine now runs the full length of the board.

I typically ride a Platinum and only had access to a foam core board, so it's not really a straight comparison to what I usually ride, but it was enough to get a good feel. For those that are currently riding a '08 you'll feel right at home on the '09. If I was blindfolded I'd have a hard time telling the two boards apart. They do ride pretty similar (much to my liking).

The only major difference I noticed was that the board is a bit stickier on the water. Mainly due, I think, to the fins being longer. Other than that, the same great pop and smooth landings that I've gotten used to. It also might be a bit faster. Initially I got back into the boat thinking I was working a bit hard on my toeside. It wasn't holding me back, but I felt like I was edging harder. That was until I looked up at my rope and realized that in my rush to get out on the new board I'd added another 5 feet. In the past when I've ridden 85' I've had to speed the boat up, this time I was really pretty comfortable.

Anyway... Props to CWB for making some tweaks and improving on a board that I already loved. I can't wait to get my hands on the '09 Platinum.

By the way, the new boots are out, too. The Zeus' are sick. For '09 they added a removable tongue stiffener, an elastic band over the top of your foot and the new spring hinge cables. All in all it's a great looking boot with the same feel as the '08 and a bit more adjustability.

I think I've got my setup for next year. '09 Platinum Transcend and Zeus.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
Sweet man....I'm looking forward to my firt ride. Hopefully this week. I'm glad the board rides a little tighter, I think I'll be on the 142 this year, and with no fins mounted, I find the board slightly too loose.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-22-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
J-rods Getting a new Kia Board!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-22-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
Haha there are a lot of Kia drivers in California, how's the Yugo treating you Andy? You still got the wing phasers on that beast?

I can't wait to try the new Transcend. My only beef with last years was the smaller spine, I like the full length to help soften things. Looking forward to riding the new shape.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-22-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   

quote:

For those that are currently riding a '08 you'll feel right at home on the '09. If I was blindfolded I'd have a hard time telling the two boards apart.

so what you're saying is that they made a bunch of changes that made no difference to the ride?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
Not surprised. All of the changes are subtle. I'm glad the board doesn't ride different. It would be a mistake to mess with that mold too much. It's the perfect board.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-22-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
Big Heavy,

The Yugos great!! Its directional with 14 phasers!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-22-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
jrod, you know i'm messin'. i still haven't ridden the transcend though. i had a chance to ride the faction over the weekend (big heavy was pushing hard for me to ride it!), but i was just a bit busy and really only had time for 1 run. i suppose i should've have taken heavy up on his offer...i probably couldn't have ridden any worse than i did on my shane!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
p90X got you feeling pooped? :-)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-22-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
not really...we were filming out at chuck's lake. simply put, i just rode like poo, which is a shame 'cause the wake was good, the water was butter and i had been riding well the last few weeks.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-22-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
Maybe it's time for a new Transcend to liven your ride up. Eh?

Again, like I said, it's hard to compare the board straight up to the Platinum that I'm riding. I love how stiff the platinum boards are. The pop is incredible and they're really responsive. I can't wait to get my hands on a '09 platty.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-22-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
eh, more often than not, it's not the board, it's the rider. i love my board.

that said, when the platinum comes out, i'll demo it.

btw, i tried on cwb's low end bindings (forgot the name) and they were suuuuuuuuuuuuper comfy!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-22-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
Joe had a vendetta against his sac. He was riding good, just every time he tried to land he took one straight to the boys!! Good hanging with you and Kyle, he sure seemed to boost on the Faction! And that slider sesh was the most fun I've had riding in a long time.

Looking forward to all the new C-dub gear. The line looks really good. Can't wait to try it all out.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-22-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
Joe,
Those bindings you tried on were the 2009 Vapor bindings, love them myself.
I had a great time this weekend--even though I couldn't ride--can't wait to do it again.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-22-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
So are you saying the molded fins are longer or the extensions are longer? I've been riding the 07 transcend since the fall of 06 but ride it finless. I like the feel of it and don't think I'd want it any more sticky. I know the platty comes with two different length fin extensions. I had an 08 platty earlier this season but broke it so went back to the 07 foam. I think I actually like the ride of the foam core better anyway. I am pretty sure I may get the 09 for next season, I haven't found a board I like better then my 07 yet, if the 09 is similar I'll probably go that route. The 07 is getting pretty beat.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-23-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
The molded fins are slightly longer. I've never ridden with the extensions. Can't comment on those. It's a pretty negligable difference. If you like the '07 you'll like the '09.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-23-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
Best board ever made IMO cant wait to get the 09.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-23-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
If it's the best board every made then why are you so quick to change boards after one year?!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-23-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
I'm lucky my boards make it one year. By the end of a year of slider, sun, wakeriding my boards wouldn't even make a good bench-board. My stuff is pretty worn out.

Plus new graphics are always a plus.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-24-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
Eubanks, because I get my boards for FREE