Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-28-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
Sorry for the long post.

I got the Ballast Puppy pump from Jasco and the same fill / empty switch used by Jeff Lind in his great post... Thanks Jeff ...
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/105071.html

... but I've still got some questions for maybe Jeff or others who have done this project and Malibu DD owners.

Here' goes:

1. Where did you mount the rocker switch on your BU? I've got a few options:
a) on the blank spot on the dash. However it's a different type of switch and the fit is real tight. It's going to be a challenge.
b) on the right side of the driver on the panel that houses the circuit breakers. I'm afraid of having the vinyl pop out the side of the switch and it will look bad.
c) mount an angle bracket made from aluminum just below the dash on the right side of the driver and mount the switch sideways. It would be out of the way but still very usable. Not as clean if one of the others is done well.

2. Where did you mount your pump if you have a DD Malibu? I'm thinking of mounting it off the support bracket that runs off the block and around to the center cam shaft. That way it will up off the floor (and out of any bilge water) and won't be in the way.

3. How did you run your hoses? I want to run three lines up front (Left, Center, Right) and one main line to the rear where I will "T" it behind the back seat and run one hose to either side of the boat.

4. Do you keep your bags perminently attached to your system after filling? I usually run one bag in the walkway up front. I don't want to drill a hole in the glass for a hose, so I was going to put the hose under the cushion and just plug it in and out as needed with a valve on it. I think all others could be perminently attached and just rolled up and tucked away when empty except for the locker sack that I'll just leave in there perminently. Maybe I'll get some custom triangle bags for under the bow cushions. Don't know yet but I want to keep that option open.

5. Finally, do you have a main valve near the ballast puppy that you must turn when filling or after filling to keep the water from either pushing into the bags while underway and overfilling due to engine pressure, or getting sucked out while underway and loosing water in your bags due to engine suction?

Any and all input would be appreciated.
Old    steveb7            05-28-2004, 11:48 AM Reply   
John- Not only does it seem that we are taking on the same task, but from your profile it appears that our boats are almost the same. I have a setter VLX, but the same colors. From what I've read in other posts the ballast puppy will stop the flow of water when turned off so there is no NEED for a manual shut off, but I plan on adding one just for safety sake. Sorry I can't help with the other questions
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-01-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
Wow! That automatic ballast system install was pretty easy. It took me about six hours from start to finish.

No leaks and it works great. It only took 11 minutes or to fill a 600lb bag and a 550 locker sack. I'm going to add my 350lb tube sack this week when I get a chance. I just ran out of hose, but all the holes are drilled and I've got all the parts ready to go.

Thanks to Jeff Lind for the great article on how to do it. All I have left to do is perminently mount the switch.
Old    str8jkt            06-01-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
I put the switches in the factory holes in the dash, fit perfect and you have to really look to see it doesn't match as the switches are kind off behind the steering wheel. I used 3 pumps and fill 1500lbs in 5 min.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-01-2004, 9:23 AM Reply   
3D:

You must have put in another pickup, because running 3 pumps off your motor's fresh water intake would definitely cause it to overheat.

At idle while filling, I ran about 5 to 7 degrees hotter than normal. Ran normal temp while draining.

I mounted my pump to the ski pylon under the floor. Kind of a tight spot, but it's all tucked away and you don't see it. I drilled a hole in the ski locker in the upper corner about an inch from where the battery cables come through and ran my up front hose through there, where I T'd it and came up on the other side of the battery in the storage area for my bow bags.

To the stern, I ran it along the side of the engine box and back past the mufflers zip tieing it to another hose that was already going that direction and up behind the back seat.

I did put in a main valve before the ballast puppy pump so if I ever develop a leak I can shut off that whole section of the system.
Old    str8jkt            06-01-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
Actually I drilled 3. I figure if thats what the factory does, what hey. Makes the hose runs short and fills very fast. I played with the pump with long hoses on it and it slowed it slightly so away I drilled.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-01-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
I'll see how it goes for a while and if I don't like the performance, I may drill too. I've done it before when I installed my wedge and it's been great for 3 years, still looks new.
Old     (pull)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-08-2004, 8:30 PM Reply   
Hi John,

I'm doing it. I ordered the jabsco ballast puppy pumps (I got two). I'm just going to put them in the place where my (lame) stock pumps currently are. I'll look for the blue valves at Walmart like you suggested (unless you, or anyone else, has another suggestion). Where did you get those white valves with the red lever (assuming you used ones like on Jeff's post)? I looked all over the West Marine site and can't find them there. So when can I come over a check out your set up?
Old    tommyadrian5            06-09-2004, 6:08 AM Reply   
Kayle, you can get the ball valves at home depot
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-09-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
Kayle:

Don't get the ones with the red handle. Get the ones with the black handle at Lowes. They are two isles over from the ones with the red handles and are about half the price for basically the same thing.

You can come over tonight if you want.

Call me on my mobile, or send me an email.

If you're making a run to west marine today, can you pick up a few parts for me? I'm going to put a pickup in the bottom of my boat. I don't like stealing the water from my motor cause my motor is getting too hot during the fill. I also want to fill while moving to save time and be able to drain without the motor running in the parking lot.

John