Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-12-2014, 9:14 AM Reply   
I'll start...here's me surfing with my 4 year old on my 2013 Z3 Wave...

Last edited by dDubya; 06-12-2014 at 9:18 AM. Reason: img
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-12-2014, 5:05 PM Reply   
Didn't do a pull with him, but started getting him used to being behind the boat and pulled him by hand a few times. He loved it, but the water was still cold so he didn't stay in long. He's excited about it though. He asked for the rope and the board.
Attached Images

Last edited by phathom; 06-12-2014 at 5:08 PM.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-12-2014, 5:07 PM Reply   
It only lets me post one at a time from my phone
Attached Images

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-12-2014, 11:41 PM Reply   
Back when he was 4 and all I could do is lineride behind a friend's Sport Nautique direct drive.

And the video my buddy made of the "surfing" (I didn't know what the hell I was doing back then! all my weight on the back foot, LOL)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQfj...uss8sv6B8xganQ
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-13-2014, 6:25 AM Reply   
That's why we do this! Before my kids came along, I've always had motorcycles. But you can't share motorcycles with the family...so I traded in the Harley for a Tige and never looked back. Now I can do my favorite thing and still have my family within arms reach.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       06-13-2014, 7:02 PM Reply   
Are there any tricks to getting up with kids? I have a 3yo and havent gave it a try yet.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-13-2014, 8:58 PM Reply   
It's pretty easy. You have them sit almost in your lap in the water with their feet on the board in between yours. I've had some reach behind themselves and grab my legs and others grabbed the rope in front of the handle. I usually hold the rope with one hand and use the other hand to make sure they don't fall over frontwards. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get up tandem. I usually don't bother trying to free-surf... Prefer keeping the handle in one hand to give myself a little help now and then and give them the best ride possible without risking losing the wave. There aren't a whole lot of tricks you could do with them on the board, but you can definitely turn up and down the wave to give them some excitement. I try to talk to them about foot placement and body position as if they were surfing on their own to prepare them for later as well as make them feel they are actually controlling the board themselves (there aren't).

You can definitive get 3 year olds up no problem. I haven't done it myself, but have seen what looked like 1 yr olds riding tandem too. All they have to be able to do is stand and be safe enough in the water that they would enjoy being thrown in a pool. If they aren't really comfortable swimming and being tossed in the water, I'd wait. You will crash and if you scare them it might take them longer to get into it later.
Old     (fatwing)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-16-2014, 8:15 AM Reply   
Name:  Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 11.05.26 AM.jpg
Views: 2275
Size:  36.5 KB
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-16-2014, 8:28 AM Reply   
I've seen tandem, I haven't seen 3 done before on anything short of a longboard. Is that a Shim you're riding?
Later this year when it's a little warmer I plan on trying a tandem with my son, I think he's ready and will enjoy it.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       06-16-2014, 12:22 PM Reply   
Thanks, im gonna have to give it a try soon!
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-16-2014, 12:42 PM Reply   
Some of the best times I have had on our boat is Tandem surfing with my two daughters. They absolutely love it! I have also found the unresponsiveness of the Hyperlight Broadcast has made it a good tandem board with 3 and 4 year olds climbing all over it.

Ellie surfing

Ellie surfing

Savvy surf

Savvy flying
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-16-2014, 9:18 PM Reply   
Singreye, how did you get them to do it? My 2.5 yr old loves the lake and the water, but she doesn't even like to be towed slowly in a tube with me 10' from the boat...she is not into being back there with the boat running. Also...nice wave man
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-16-2014, 10:28 PM Reply   
^I would say if she isn't comfortable being towed in a tube yet, that the tandem wakesurfing wouldn't be a great idea yet. Have you got in the tube with her and so she can be behind the boat being towed with you in there with her as security?
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2014, 4:51 AM Reply   
i couldnt swim till i got thrown in the lake.

i say put them on the board. They will get use to it
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-17-2014, 8:37 AM Reply   
@wakedirt My older daughter was a little over 3 years old when we bought the boat. She was very upset when we sold the other boat (an i/o). We told her we were buying a new one so we could surf. My wife picked up a Barbie Surfing Mermaid movie that she watched over and over. Our first boat trip was in January or February and the water was cold (low 50s), she insisted on it being her turn. We didnt even bring her a bathing suit or anything. Plus we didn't think she would make it past floating on the board. The next week same cold weather but we brought her bathing suit and helmet. We was begging to surf but we figured she would not be interested after feeling how cold the water was. We put her feet in and she was fine. She took two or three sets and loved it. Then she told me I needed to buy her a wetsuit and booties. He younger sister wouldn't let her older sister out do her so at around 2.5 years old she went out and had a blast.

Here is the pic of her first time in her bathing suit while I am wearing a full wetsuit.
[IMG]Savvy first time[/IMG]

Also thanks for the props on the wave.
Old     (TheWoons)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-17-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpSH...M7q-zlv1FDGluw
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-17-2014, 9:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
^I would say if she isn't comfortable being towed in a tube yet, that the tandem wakesurfing wouldn't be a great idea yet. Have you got in the tube with her and so she can be behind the boat being towed with you in there with her as security?
Ya, she is cool with that...just likes to get in the water on "her terms" ha ha
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-18-2014, 6:58 AM Reply   
WakeDirt,

Get them started as early as possible. Sometimes they just have to be dragged kicking and screaming until they realize that you will keep them safe and that they are going to have fun. We started with me holding each one of our daughters before they were 2. They cried and were scared until we popped up out of the water, then they were all smiles. Last year at 5, my daughter was deep water starting by herself on her wakeboard with me coaching her from the boat. Now, they both prefer surfing to tubing or anything else on the boat.
Old     (JMoore15)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-18-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
I have had the chance to teach quite a few kids to surf (getting them up the first time and seeing that smile is awesome). I agree that tandem is a great way to get the started. It eases some of the first time fears and gives them a chance to just enjoy the ride without thinking to much. I have found one of the best ways to prepare them for their first solo is in the pool. I put a jacket on them and just pull the rope by hand. I found it easier to talk them through flipping the board on edge and getting a feel for the tension on the rope. This also seems to ease the first time boat pulling fears. I now start every kid this way that comes to my boat. Can obviously be done on the shore or even off the swim platform as well. With this approach I can get most kids up on the first pull behind the boat. Here's a pic of my youngest.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-18-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
couple of my girls.
Attached Images

Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-18-2014, 10:24 AM Reply   
Thats awesome! Its awesome to see families doing activities together. Great tips Jmoore.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-18-2014, 7:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-30-2014, 2:54 PM Reply   
Interesting that my son was totally stoked to surf with me when he was 4 (see above pic) but when I finally got a boat last year (he was 7) he wasn't feelin' it. We tried to get him up on water skis and that didn't happen.

So I am slowly but surely working on getting him back into fun in the water.

I bought a used kids wakeboard and took it with us to our friend's pool and we had pool training with him getting used to floating and getting pulled in a safe/warm/comfortable environment:

Yesterday I pretty much forced him to trust me to get out on my wakeboard. He was cool with it when we were up and he seemed glad he did it. (man, it's a lot of work with an extra 50 pounds on your wakeboard!!)

Eventually I think we'll get his water mojo back. (he skiis expert stuff on the snow, carving up black diamonds, double blacks, terrain parks, tree runs, halfpipe). But he's gun shy of the water. Still has a blast on the boat though.
Old     (mstoked2)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-01-2014, 12:10 PM Reply   
My wife with my 7 year old daughter at Trinity Lake Ca.
Attached Images

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-01-2014, 12:11 PM Reply   
^^^^ I have that same Ronix Caption board! It's a fun one!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-09-2014, 12:36 PM Reply   
Took a run with my niece yesterday. She loved it.
Attached Images

Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       07-13-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
You guys inspired me and my 6 year old daughter! We went today for the first time together and got up on our first attempt Sorry I didn't take the time to pull down my trunks but at least I'm not drinking a beer!
Attached Images

Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-14-2014, 10:03 AM Reply   
This is my son Parker nearing the end of 6 months old. Cant get the kid out of the water. This is us behind our 24V this year before the z3 came.
Attached Images

Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       09-10-2014, 7:32 AM Reply   
This is my son Logan he is 8. He has been out about 10 times. He now wants to go out as much as i do.

http://youtu.be/v1ZVwAlepvY
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-10-2014, 9:15 AM Reply   
start em young